Volume 18, Number 1—January 2012
Temperate Climate Niche for Cryptococcus gattii in Northern Europe
- Kidd SE, Hagen F, Tscharke RL, Bartlett KH, Fyfe M, MacDougall L, A rare genotype of Cryptococcus gattii caused the cryptococcosis outbreak on Vancouver Island (British Columbia, Canada). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17258–63.
- Montagna MT, Viviani MA, Pulito A, Aralla C, Tortorano AM, Fiore L, Cryptococcus neoformans var. gattii in Italy. Note II. Environmental investigation related to an autochthonous clinical case in Apulia. J Mycol Med. 1997;7:93–6.
- Colom MF, Hagen F, Gonzalez A, Mellado A, Morera N, Linares C, Ceratonia siliqua (carob) trees as natural habitat and source of infection by Cryptococcus gattii in the Mediterranean environment. Med Mycol. 2011; Epub ahead of print.
- Randhawa HS, Kowshik T, Khan ZU. Efficacy of swabbing versus a conventional technique for isolation of Cryptococcus neoformans from decayed wood in tree trunk hollows. Med Mycol. 2005;43:67–71.
- Fraser JA, Giles SS, Wenink EC, Geunes-Boyer SG, Wright JR, Diezmann S, Same-sex mating and the origin of the Vancouver Island Cryptococcus gattii outbreak. Nature. 2005;437:1360–4.
- Janssens J, Beetstra A. Torulosis in a pregnant female, with localization in the lungs [in Dutch]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1957;101:824–6.
- Hagen F, Burggraaf AG, Kamermans A, Sweere J, Tintelnot K, Swinne D, The occurrence of the primary pathogenic yeast Cryptococcus gattii in Europe. Mycoses. 2009;52(Supp1):57.
- Hagen F, Illnait-Zaragozi MT, Bartlett KH, Swinne D, Geertsen E, Klaassen CH, In vitro antifungal susceptibilities and amplified fragment length polymorphism genotyping of a worldwide collection of 350 clinical, veterinary, and environmental Cryptococcus gattii isolates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:5139–45.
- Kidd SE, Chow Y, Mak S, Bach PJ, Chen H, Hingston AO, Characterization of environmental sources of the human and animal pathogen Cryptococcus gattii in British Columbia, Canada, and the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:1433–43.
- Springer DJ, Chaturvedi V. Projecting global occurrence of Cryptococcus gattii. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:14–20.
Page created: December 22, 2011
Page updated: December 22, 2011
Page reviewed: December 22, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.