Volume 18, Number 2—February 2012
1918 Influenza, a Puzzle with Missing Pieces
- Shanks GD, Brundage JF. Pathogenic responses among young adults during the 1918 influenza pandemic. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012 Feb. Epub 2012 Jan 4.
- Morens DM, Taubenberger JK, Fauci AS. The persistent legacy of the 1918 influenza virus. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:225–9.
- Taubenberger JK, Morens DM. 1918 influenza: the mother of all pandemics. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:15–22.
- Morens DM, Taubenberger JK. Pandemic influenza: certain uncertainties. Rev Med Virol. 2011 Jun 27. Epub ahead of print.
- Morens DM, Taubenberger JK, Fauci AS. Predominant role of bacterial pneumonia as a cause of death in pandemic influenza: implications for pandemic influenza preparedness. J Infect Dis. 2008;198:962–70.
- Chien Y-W, Klugman KP, Morens DM. Efficacy of whole-cell killed bacterial vaccines in preventing pneumonia and death during the 1918 influenza pandemic. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:1639–48.
- Sheng Z-M, Chertow DS, Ambroggio X, McCall S, Przygodzki RM, Cunningham RE, Autopsy series of 68 cases dying before and during the 1918 influenza pandemic peak: virological and pathological findings. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16416–21.
- Jordan E. Epidemic influenza: a survey. Chicago: American Medical Association; 1927.
Page created: January 18, 2012
Page updated: January 18, 2012
Page reviewed: January 18, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.