Volume 18, Number 6—June 2012
Louping Ill in Goats, Spain, 2011
- Grard G, Moureau G, Charrel RN, Lemasson JJ, Gonzalez JP, Gallian P, Genetic characterization of tick-borne flaviviruses: new insights into evolution, pathogenetic determinants and taxonomy. Virology. 2007;361:80–92.
- Dobler G. Zoonotic tick-borne flaviviruses. Vet Microbiol. 2010;140:221–8.
- Randolph SE. Tick-borne encephalitis virus, ticks and humans: short-term and long-term dynamics. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2008;21:462–7.
- González L, Reid HW, Pow I, Gilmour JS. A disease resembling louping-ill in sheep in the Basque region of Spain. Vet Rec. 1987;121:12–3.
- Marín MS, McKenzie J, Gao GF, Reid HW, Antoniadis A, Gould EA. The virus causing encephalomyelitis in sheep in Spain: a new member of the tick-borne encephalitis group. Res Vet Sci. 1995;58:11–3.
- Barandika JF, Hurtado A, Juste RA, García-Pérez AL. Seasonal dynamics of Ixodes ricinus in a 3-year period in northern Spain: first survey on the presence of tick-borne encephalitis virus. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2010;10:1027–35.
- Herpe B, Schuffenecker I, Pillot J, Malvy D, Clouzeau B, Bui N, Tickborne encephalitis, southwestern France. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1114–6.
- Moureau G, Temmam S, Gonzalez JP, Charrel RN, Grard G, De Lamballerie XA. Real-time RT-PCR method for the universal detection and identification of flaviviruses. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2007;7:467–77.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA5: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis using maximum-likelihood, evolutionary-distance, and maximum-parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:2731–9.
- Krueger N, Reid HW. Detection of louping ill virus in formalin-fixed, paraffin wax–embedded tissues of mice, sheep and a pig by the avidin-biotin-complex immunoperoxidase technique. Vet Rec. 1994;135:224–5.
- Davidson MM, Williams H, Macleod JA. Louping ill in man: a forgotten disease. J Infect. 1991;23:241–9.
- Avšič-Županc T, Poljak M, Maticic M, Radsel-Medvescek A, LeDuc J, Stiasny K. Laboratory acquired tick-borne meningoencephalitis: characterization of virus strains. Clin Diagn Virol. 1995;4:51–9.
- Reid HW, Buxton D, Pow I, Finlayson J. Transmission of louping-ill virus in goat milk. Vet Rec. 1984;114:163–5.
Page created: May 10, 2012
Page updated: May 10, 2012
Page reviewed: May 10, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.