Volume 19, Number 10—October 2013
Close Relative of Human Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus in Bat, South Africa
- Zaki AM, van Boheemen S, Bestebroer TM, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA. Isolation of a novel coronavirus from a man with pneumonia in Saudi Arabia. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:1814–20.
- Reusken CB, Lina PH, Pielaat A, de Vries A, Dam-Deisz C, Adema J, Circulation of group 2 coronaviruses in a bat species common to urban areas in Western Europe. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2010;10:785–91.
- Annan A, Baldwin HJ, Corman VM, Klose SM, Owusu M, Nkrumah EE. Human betacoronavirus 2c EMC/2012–related viruses in bats, Ghana and Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:456–9.
- Geldenhuys M, Weyer J, Nel LH, Markotter W. Coronaviruses in South African bats. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2013;13:516–9.
- Drexler JF, Gloza-Rausch F, Glende J, Corman VM, Muth D, Goettsche M, Genomic characterization of severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus in European bats and classification of coronaviruses based on partial RNA-dependent RNA polymerase gene sequences. J Virol. 2010;84:11336–49.
- Woo PC, Wang M, Lau SK, Xu H, Poon RW, Guo R, Comparative analysis of twelve genomes of three novel group 2c and group 2d coronaviruses reveals unique group and subgroup features. J Virol. 2007;81:1574–85.
- Falćon A, Vazquez-Moron S, Casas I, Aznar C, Ruiz G, Pozo F, Detection of alpha and betacoronaviruses in multiple Iberian bat species. Arch Virol. 2011;156:1883–90.
- Wacharapluesadee S, Sintunawa C, Kaewpom T, Khongnomnan K, Olival KJ, Epstein JH. Group C betacoronavirus in bat guano fertilizer, Thailand. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013; Epub ahead of print.
- Anthony SJ, Ojeda-Flores R, Rico-Chavez O, Navarrete-Macias I, Zambrana-Torrelio C, Rostal MK, Coronaviruses in bats from Mexico. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:1028–38.
- Bird BH, Khristova ML, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Nichol ST. Complete genome analysis of 33 ecologically and biologically diverse Rift Valley fever virus strains reveals widespread virus movement and low genetic diversity due to recent common ancestry. J Virol. 2007;81:2805–16.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: September 16, 2013
Page updated: September 16, 2013
Page reviewed: September 16, 2013
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.