Volume 19, Number 12—December 2013
Twenty-Year Summary of Surveillance for Human Hantavirus Infections, United States
|Virus, reservoir, state||No. cases||Year||References|
|Bayou, Marsh rice rat (Oryzomys palustris)||(18,20,21)|
|Texas||4||1995, 1996, 2001, 2007|
|Black Creek Canal, Hispid cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus)||(19)|
|New York, White-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus)||(22,23)|
|Monongahela, Deer mouse (P. maniculatus)||(24–26)|
- Duchin JS, Koster FT, Peters CJ, Simpson GL, Tempest B, Zaki SR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: a clinical description of 17 patients with a newly recognized disease. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:949–55.
- Nichol ST, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Feldmann H, Genetic Identification of a hantavirus associated with an outbreak of acute respiratory illness. Science. 1993;262:914–7.
- Childs JE, Ksiazek TG, Spiropoulou CF, Krebs JW, Morzunov S, Maupin GO, Serologic and genetic identification of Peromyscus maniculatus as the primary rodent reservoir for a new hantavirus in the southwestern United States. J Infect Dis. 1994;169:1271–80.
- Schmaljohn CS, Nichol ST. Bunyaviridae. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Fields virology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007. p. 1742.
- Jonsson CB, Figueiredo LTM, Vapalahti O. A global perspective on hantavirus ecology, epidemiology, and disease. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2010;23:412–41.
- MacNeil A, Nichol S, Spiropoulou C. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Virus Res. 2011;162:138–47.
- Simpson SQ, Spikes L, Patel S, Faruqi I. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2010;24:159–73.
- Dietl CA. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support improves survival of patients with severe hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;135:579.
- Koster F, Foucar K, Hjelle B, Scott A, Chong Y-Y, Larson R, Rapid presumptive diagnosis of hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome by peripheral blood smear review. Am J Clin Pathol. 2001;116:665–72.
- Young JC, Hansen G, Graves T, Deasy M, Humphreys J, Fritz C, The incubation period of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2000;62:714–7 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in visitors to a national park—Yosemite Valley, California, 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:952 .
- Khan AS, Khabbaz RF, Armstrong LR, Holman RC, Bauer SP, Graber J, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: the first 100 US cases. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:1297–303.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nationally Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome 2010 case definition [cited 2013 Jul 8]. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/NNDSS/script/casedef.aspx?CondYrID=697&DatePub=1/1/2010
- Zaki SR, Khan AS, Goodman RA, Armstrong LR, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Retrospective diagnosis of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, 1978–1993: implications for emerging infectious diseases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996;120:134–9 .
- Frampton JW, Lanser S, Nichols CR, Ettestad PJ. Sin Nombre virus infection in 1959. Lancet. 1995;346:781–2.
- MacNeil A, Ksiazek TG, Rollin PE. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, United States, 1993–2009. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1195–201.
- Khan AS, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, Zaki SR, Kohn MA, Nawas SR, Fatal illness associated with a new hantavirus in Louisiana. J Med Virol. 1995;46:281–6.
- Khan AS, Gaviria M, Rollin PE, Hlady WG, Ksiazek TG, Armstrong LR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Florida: association with the newly identified Black Creek Canal virus. Am J Med. 1996;100:46–8.
- Rivers MN, Alexander J, Rohde R, Pierce JR. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Texas: 1993–2006. South Med J. 2009;102:36–41.
- Hjelle B, Goade D, Torrez Martinez N, Lang Williams M, Kim J, Harris RL, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, renal insufficiency, and myositis associated with infection by Bayou hantavirus. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;23:495–500.
- Hjelle B, Krolikowski J, Torrez Martinez N, Chavez Giles F, Vanner C, Laposata E. Phylogenetically distinct hantavirus implicated in a case of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in the northeastern United States. J Med Virol. 1995;46:21–7.
- Huang C, Campbell WP, Means R, Ackman DM. Hantavirus S RNA sequence from a fatal case of HPS in New York. J Med Virol. 1996;50:5–8.
- Song JW, Baek LJ, Nagle JW, Schlitter D, Yanagihara R. Genetic and phylogenetic analyses of hantaviral sequences amplified from archival tissues of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus nubiterrae) captured in the eastern United States. Arch Virol. 1996;141:959–67.
- Rhodes LV, Huang C, Sanchez AJ, Nichol ST, Zaki SR, Ksiazek TG, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome associated with Monongahela virus, Pennsylvania. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:616–21.
- Sinclair JR, Carroll DS, Montgomery JM, Pavlin B, McCombs K, Mills JN, Two cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Randolph County, West Virginia: a coincidence of time and place? Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:438–42 .
- Kitsutani PT, Denton R, Fritz C, Murray R, Todd R, Pape W, Acute Sin Nombre hantavirus infection without pulmonary syndrome, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:701—5.
- Armstrong LR, Bryan RT, Sarisky J, Khan AS, Rowe T, Ettestad PJ, Mild hantaviral disease caused by sin Nombre virus in a four-year-old child. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1995;14:1108–10.
- Prince HE, Lieberman JM. Impact of the 2012 Yosemite hantavirus outbreak on hantavirus antibody testing at a national reference laboratory. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:1213–6.
- LeDuc JW, Smith GA, Johnson KM. Hantaan-like viruses from domestic rats captured in the United States. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1984;33:992–8 .
- Yanagihara R. Hantavirus infection in the United States: epizootiology and epidemiology. Rev Infect Dis. 1990;12:449–57.
- Glass GE, Watson AJ, LeDuc JW, Childs JE. Domestic cases of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in the United States. Nephron. 1994;68:48–51.
- Woods C, Palekar R, Kim P, Blythe D, de Senarclens O, Feldman K, Domestically acquired Seoul virus causing hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome—Maryland, 2008. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:e109–12.
- Roig IL, Musher DM, Tweardy DJ. Severe pulmonary involvement in a case attributed to domestically acquired Seoul hantavirus in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:91–4.
- Hibbard BZ, Ballard VB, Gibson DM. A case of epidemic hemorrhagic fever in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 1954;40:1005–10.
- Luger NM, Himes H. Epidemic hemorrhagic fever appearing in the United States; report of a case with renal biopsy studies. AMA Arch Intern Med. 1956;98:112–9.
- Nielsen CF, Sethi V, Petroll AE, Kazmierczak J, Erickson BR, Nichol ST, Seoul virus infection in a Wisconsin patient with recent travel to China, March 2009: first documented case in the midwestern United States. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:1266–8 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Summary of Notifiable Diseases—United States, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;59:1–111 .
Page created: November 19, 2013
Page updated: November 19, 2013
Page reviewed: November 19, 2013
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.