Volume 19, Number 7—July 2013
Multidrug-Resistant Atypical Variants of Shigella flexneri in China
||May 2008–December 2010
|No. (%) isolates||No. (%) isolates|
|S. flexneri||8,082 (86.2)||208 (76.2)|
|1a||272 (2.9)||9 (3.3)|
|1b||325 (3.5)||29 (10.6)|
|2a||6,468 (69.0)||64 (23.4)|
|2b||152 (1.6)||3 (1.1)|
|5||30 (0.3)||1 (0.4)|
|6||73 (0.8)||3 (1.1)|
|x||70 (0.7)||5 (1.8)|
|y||126 (1.3)||2 (0.7)|
|X variant (−:7,8, E1037), indole-negative variety
|S. flexneri serotype 2 variant (II:3,4,7,8)
|S. flexneri untypeable variant (−:E1037)
|S. boydii||139 (1.5)||3 (1.1)|
*Data are from (1).
- World Health Organization. Diarrhoeal disease; fact sheet no. 330, April 2013 [cited 2013 Apr 12]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs330/en/index.html
- World Health Organization. Guidelines for the control of shigellosis, including epidemics due to Shigella dysenteriae type 1 [cited 2013 Apr 12]. http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/9241592330/en/index.html
- Wang XY, Tao F, Xiao D, Lee H, Deen J, Gong J, Trend and disease burden of bacillary dysentery in China (1991–2000). Bull World Health Organ. 2006;84:561–8.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests; approved standard, 11th ed. CLSI document M02-A11. Wayne, PA: The Institute; 2012 [cited 2013 Apr 12]. http://antimicrobianos.com.ar/ATB/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/01-CLSI-M02-A11-2012.pdf
- EcMLST, a multilocus sequence typing database system for pathogenic E. coli. Version 1.2 [cited 2013 Apr 12]. http://www.shigatox.net/ecmlst/cgi-bin/index
- Ribot EM, Fair MA, Gautom R, Cameron DN, Hunter SB, Swaminathan B, Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNet. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2006;3:59–67.
- Pryamukhina NS, Khomenko NA. Suggestion to supplement Shigella flexneri classification scheme with the subserovar Shigella flexneri 4c: phenotypic characteristics of strains. J Clin Microbiol. 1988;26:1147–9 .
- Ye C, Lan R, Xia S, Zhang J, Sun Q, Zhang S, Emergence of a new multidrug-resistant serotype X variant in an epidemic clone of Shigella flexneri. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:419–26 .
- Qiu S, Wang Z, Chen C, Liu N, Jia L, Liu W, Emergence of a novel Shigella flexneri serotype 4s evolved from serotype X variant in China. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:1148–50.
- Galanis E, Lo Fo Wong DM, Patrick ME, Binsztein N, Cieslik A, Chalermchikit T, Web-based surveillance and global Salmonella distribution, 2000–2002. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:381–8.
- Harris AM, Chowdhury F, Begum YA, Khan AI, Faruque AS, Svennerholm AM, Shifting prevalence of major diarrheal pathogens in patients seeking hospital care during floods in 1998, 2004, and 2007 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;79:708–14 .
- Pazhani GP, Niyogi SK, Singh AK, Sen B, Taneja N, Kundu M, Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant Shigella species isolated from epidemic and endemic cases of shigellosis in India. J Med Microbiol. 2008;57:856–63.
- Bhattacharya D, Purushottaman SA, Bhattacharjee H, Thamizhmani R, Sudharama SD, Manimunda SP, Rapid emergence of third-generation cephalosporin resistance in Shigella sp. isolated in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India. Microb Drug Resist. 2011;17:329–32.
- von Seidlein L, Kim DR, Ali M, Lee H, Wang X, Thiem VD, A multicentre study of Shigella diarrhoea in six Asian countries: disease burden, clinical manifestations, and microbiology. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e353.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: June 06, 2013
Page updated: June 06, 2013
Page reviewed: June 06, 2013
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.