Volume 21, Number 5—May 2015
Getah Virus Infection among Racehorses, Japan, 2014
- Griffin DE. Alphaviruses. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Fields virology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2013. p. 651–86.
- Fukunaga Y, Kumanomido T, Kamada M. Getah virus as an equine pathogen. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract. 2000;16:605–17 .
- Yago K, Hagiwara S, Kawamura H, Narita M. A fatal case in newborn piglets with Getah virus infection: isolation of the virus. Nippon Juigaku Zasshi. 1987;49:989–94.
- Izumida A, Takuma H, Inagaki S, Kubota M, Hirahara T, Kodama K, Experimental infection of Getah virus in swine. Nippon Juigaku Zasshi. 1988;50:679–84.
- Li XD, Qiu FX, Yang H, Rao YN, Calisher CH. Isolation of Getah virus from mosquitos collected on Hainan Island, China, and results of a serosurvey. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1992;23:730–4 .
- Brown CM, Timoney PJ. Getah virus infection of Indian horses. Trop Anim Health Prod. 1998;30:241–52.
- Nemoto M, Yamanaka T, Bannai H, Tsujimura K, Kondo T, Matsumura T. Development and evaluation of a reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for H3N8 equine influenza virus. J Virol Methods. 2011;178:239–42.
- Wekesa SN, Inoshima Y, Murakami K, Sentsui H. Genomic analysis of some Japanese isolates of Getah virus. Vet Microbiol. 2001;83:137–46.
- Lawrence GL, Gilkerson J, Love DN, Sabine M, Whalley JM. Rapid, single-step differentiation of equid herpesviruses 1 and 4 from clinical material using the polymerase chain reaction and virus-specific primers. J Virol Methods. 1994;47:59–72.
- Balasuriya UB, Leutenegger CM, Topol JB, McCollum WH, Timoney PJ, MacLachlan NJ. Detection of equine arteritis virus by real-time TaqMan reverse transcription-PCR assay. J Virol Methods. 2002;101:21–8.
- Kamada M, Ando Y, Fukunaga Y, Kumanomido T, Imagawa H, Wada R, Equine Getah virus infection: isolation of the virus from racehorses during an enzootic in Japan. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1980;29:984–8 .
- Imagawa H, Ando Y, Kamada M, Sugiura T, Kumanomido T, Fukunaga Y, Sero-epizootiological survey on Getah virus infection in light horses in Japan. Nippon Juigaku Zasshi. 1981;43:797–802.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:2731–9.
- Tajima S, Kotaki A, Yagasaki K, Taniwaki T, Moi ML, Nakayama E, Identification and amplification of Japanese encephalitis virus and Getah virus propagated from a single porcine serum sample: a case of coinfection. Arch Virol. 2014;159:2969–75.
Page created: April 18, 2015
Page updated: April 18, 2015
Page reviewed: April 18, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.