Volume 21, Number 6—June 2015
European Rabbits as Reservoir for Coxiella burnetii
- Ruiz-Fons F, Segalés J, Gortázar C. A review of viral diseases of the European wild boar: effects of population dynamics and reservoir role. Vet J. 2008;176:158–69.
- Viana M, Mancy R, Biek R, Cleaveland S, Cross PC, Lloyd-Smith JO, Assembling evidence for identifying reservoirs of infection. Trends Ecol Evol. 2014;29:270–9.
- Maurin M, Raoult D. Q fever. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999;12:518–53 .
- Ejercito CL, Cai L, Htwe KK, Taki M, Inoshima Y, Kondo T, Serological evidence of Coxiella burnetii infection in wild animals in Japan. J Wildl Dis. 1993;29:481–4.
- Ruiz-Fons F, Rodríguez O, Torina A, Naranjo V, Gortázar C, de La Fuente J. Prevalence of Coxiella burnetti infection in wild and farmed ungulates. Vet Microbiol. 2008;126:282–6.
- Marrie TJ, Schlech WF, Williams JC, Yates L. Q fever pneumonia associated with exposure to wild rabbits. Lancet. 1986;1:427–9.
- González-Barrio D, Almería S, Caro MR, Salinas J, Ortiz JA, Gortazar C, Coxiella burnetii shedding by farmed red deer (Cervus elaphus). Transbound Emerg Dis. 2013.
- Monnerot M, Vigne JD, Biju-Duval C, Casane D, Callou C, Hardy C, Rabbit and man: genetic and historic approach. Genet Sel Evol. 1994;26:167–82.
- Mitchell-Jones AJ, Amori G, Bogdanomicz W, Krystufek B, Beijnders PJ, Spitzenberger F, , editors. Atlas of European mammals. London: Academic Press; 1999.
- Maio E, Tania C, Balseiro A, Sevilla I, Romano A, Ortiz JA, Paratuberculosis in European wild rabbits from Iberian Peninsula. Res Vet Sci. 2011;91:212–8.
- Berri M, Laroucau K, Rodolakis A. The detection of Coxiella burnetii from ovine genital swabs, milk and fecal samples by the use of a single touchdown polymerase chain reaction. Vet Microbiol. 2000;72:285–93.
- Akaike H. A new look at the statistical model identification. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Transactions on Automatic Control. 1974;19:716–25.
- Guatteo R, Beaudeau F, Joly A, Seegers H. Coxiella burnetii shedding by dairy cows. Vet Res. 2007;38:849–60.
- Piñero A, Ruiz-Fons F, Hurtado A, Barandika JF, Atxaerandio R, García-Pérez AL. Changes in the dynamics of Coxiella burnetii infection in dairy cattle: an approach to match field data with the epidemiological cycle of C. burnetii in endemic herds. J Dairy Sci. 2014;97:2718–30.
- Whitney EA, Massung RF, Candee AJ, Ailes EC, Myers LM, Patterson NE, Seroepidemiologic and occupational risk survey for Coxiella burnetii antibodies among US veterinarians. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:550–7.
Page created: May 15, 2015
Page updated: May 15, 2015
Page reviewed: May 15, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.