Volume 21, Number 6—June 2015
Acute Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection in Livestock Dromedaries, Dubai, 2014
|Serum antibody detection by ELISA†||RNA detection by RT-PCR‡||Virus isolation§|
|Adults, >4||298/310 (96.1)||0/250 (0)||0/12 (0)|
|Subadults, 2–4||328/340 (96.5)||10/344 (2.9) ¶||1/14 (7.1)|
|Calves, <1||92/108 (85.2)¶||24/68 (35.3)¶||6/44 (13.6) ¶|
|Unknown||68/85 (80)||11/209 (5.3)||1/12 (8.3)|
|Total||786/843 (93.2)||45/871 (5.1)||8/82 (9.6)|
*MERS-CoV, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus; RT-PCR, reverse transcription PCR.
†ELISA used a recombinant MERS-CoV globular spike (S1) domain as described by Drosten et al. (11), modified by the reagent manufacturer (EUROIMMUN, Lübeck, Germany) for application with camel serum as validated by Corman et al. (12) and Memish et al (7). The anti-human conjugate was replaced by an anti-camel conjugate. The test was not selective for IgG.
‡RT-PCR targeting regions upstream of the envelope gene, as described by Corman et al. (13).
§Method as described by Drosten et al. (14).
¶Significantly different from grand mean (shown under Total), p<0.05 (χ2 test)
- Reusken CB, Messadi L, Feyisa A, Ularamu H, Godeke GJ, Danmarwa A, Geographic distribution of MERS coronavirus among dromedary camels, Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1370–4.
- Meyer B, Muller MA, Corman VM, Reusken CB, Ritz D, Godeke GJ, Antibodies against MERS coronavirus in dromedary camels, United Arab Emirates, 2003 and 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:552–9.
- Reusken CB, Haagmans BL, Muller MA, Gutierrez C, Godeke GJ, Meyer B, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus neutralising serum antibodies in dromedary camels: a comparative serological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:859–66.
- Müller MA, Corman VM, Jores J, Meyer B, Younan M, Liljander A, MERS coronavirus neutralizing antibodies in camels, eastern Africa, 1983–1997. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2093–5.
- Alagaili AN, Briese T, Mishra N, Kapoor V, Sameroff SC, Burbelo PD, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection in dromedary camels in Saudi Arabia. MBio. 2014;5:e00884–14.
- Haagmans BL, Al Dhahiry SH, Reusken CB, Raj VS, Galiano M, Myers R, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in dromedary camels: an outbreak investigation. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:140–5.
- Memish ZA, Cotten M, Meyer B, Watson SJ, Alsahafi AJ, Al Rabeeah AA, Human Infection with MERS coronavirus after exposure to infected camels, Saudi Arabia, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1012–5 .
- Adney DR, van Doremalen N, Brown VR, Bushmaker T, Scott D, de Wit E, Replication and shedding of MERS-CoV in upper respiratory tract of inoculated dromedary camels. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1999–2005.
- Reusken CB, Ababneh M, Raj VS, Meyer B, Eljarah A, Abutarbush S, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) serology in major livestock species in an affected region in Jordan, June to September 2013. Euro Surveill. 2013;18:20662 .
- Raj VS, Farag EA, Reusken CB, Lamers MM, Pas SD, Voermans J, Isolation of MERS coronavirus from a dromedary camel, Qatar, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1339–42.
- Drosten C, Meyer B, Muller MA, Corman VM, Al-Masri M, Hossain R, Transmission of MERS-coronavirus in household contacts. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:828–35.
- Corman VM, Jores J, Meyer B, Younan M, Liljander A, Said MY, Antibodies against MERS coronavirus in dromedary camels, Kenya, 1992–2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1319–22.
- Corman VM, Eckerle I, Bleicker T, Zaki A, Landt O, Eschbach-Bludau M, Detection of a novel human coronavirus by real-time reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction. Euro Surveill. 2012;17:20285 .
- Drosten C, Muth D, Corman VM, Hussain R, Al Masri M, Hajomar W, An observational, laboratory-based study of outbreaks of MERS-coronavirus in Jeddah and Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2014. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:369–77 .
- Hemida MG, Chu DK, Poon LL, Perera RA, Alhammadi MA, Ng HY, MERS coronavirus in dromedary camel herd, Saudi Arabia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1231–4.