Volume 21, Number 9—September 2015
CME ACTIVITY - Synopsis
Mycobacterium abscessus Complex Infections in Humans
|Type of disease (reference)||Recommended initial regimen||Recommended treatment duration|
|Pulmonary disease (2)||Macrolide-based therapy in combination with intravenous antimicrobial therapy (preferably cefoxitin and amikacin)||Continue until sputum samples are negative for M. abscessus complex for 12 mo|
|Skin and soft-tissue infection (2)||Macrolide in combination with amikacin plus cefoxitin/imipenem plus surgical debridement||Minimum of 4 mo, including a minimum of 2 wk combined with intravenous agents|
|Central nervous system infection (21)||Clarithromycin-based combination therapy (preferably including at least amikacin in the first weeks)||12 mo|
|Bacteremia (24,25)||At least 2 active antimicrobial agents (preferably including amikacin) plus removal of catheter and/or surgical debridement of infection foci||4 wk after last positive blood culture result|
|Ocular infection (28)||Topical agents (amikacin, clarithromycin) and/or systemic antimicrobial drugs (oral clarithromycin, intravenous amikacin or cefoxitin) and/or surgical debridement*||6 wk to 6 mo|
*The treatment of ocular infections was highly dependent on the infection site. In some sites, >1 treatment strategies (i.e., topical or systemic antimicrobial drug treatment or surgery) should be considered.
- Brown-Elliott BA, Wallace RJ Jr. Clinical and taxonomic status of pathogenic nonpigmented or late-pigmenting rapidly growing mycobacteria. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002;15:716–46.
- Griffith DE, Aksamit T, Brown-Elliott BA, Catanzaro A, Daley C, Gordin F, An official ATS/IDSA statement: diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of nontuberculous mycobacterial diseases. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;175:367–416.
- Marras TK, Mendelson D, Marchand-Austin A, May K, Jamieson FB. Pulmonary nontuberculous mycobacterial disease, Ontario, Canada, 1998–2010. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1889–91.
- Lai CC, Tan CK, Chou CH, Hsu HL, Liao CH, Huang YT, Increasing incidence of nontuberculous mycobacteria, Taiwan, 2000–2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:294–6.
- Nessar R, Cambau E, Reyrat JM, Murray A, Gicquel B. Mycobacterium abscessus: a new antibiotic nightmare. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:810–8.
- Leao SC, Tortoli E, Euzeby JP, Garcia MJ. Proposal that Mycobacterium massiliense and Mycobacterium bolletii be united and reclassified as Mycobacterium abscessus subsp. bolletii comb. nov., designation of Mycobacterium abscessus subsp. abscessus subsp. nov. and emended description of Mycobacterium abscessus. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2011;61:2311–3.
- Benwill JL, Wallace RJ Jr. Mycobacterium abscessus: challenges in diagnosis and treatment. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014;27:506–10.
- Choo SW, Wee WY, Ngeow YF, Mitchell W, Tan JL, Wong GJ, Genomic reconnaissance of clinical isolates of emerging human pathogen Mycobacterium abscessus reveals high evolutionary potential. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4061.
- Cho YJ, Yi H, Chun J, Cho SN, Daley CL, Koh WJ, The genome sequence of ‘Mycobacterium massiliense’ strain CIP 108297 suggests the independent taxonomic status of the Mycobacterium abscessus complex at the subspecies level. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e81560.
- Sassi M, Drancourt M. Genome analysis reveals three genomospecies in Mycobacterium abscessus. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:359.
- Heydari H, Wee WY, Lokanathan N, Hari R, Mohamed Yusoff A, Beh CY, MabsBase: a Mycobacterium abscessus genome and annotation database. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62443.
- Teng SH, Chen CM, Lee MR, Lee TF, Chien KY, Teng LJ, Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization–time of flight mass spectrometry can accurately differentiate between Mycobacterium masilliense (M. abscessus subspecies bolletti) and M. abscessus (sensu stricto). J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:3113–6.
- Prevots DR, Shaw PA, Strickland D, Jackson LA, Raebel MA, Blosky MA, Nontuberculous mycobacterial lung disease prevalence at four integrated health care delivery systems. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:970–6.
- Lee MR, Yang CY, Chang KP, Keng LT, Yen DH, Wang JY, Factors associated with lung function decline in patients with non-tuberculous mycobacterial pulmonary disease. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58214.
- Levy I, Grisaru-Soen G, Lerner-Geva L, Kerem E, Blau H, Bentur L, Multicenter cross-sectional study of nontuberculous mycobacterial infections among cystic fibrosis patients, Israel. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:378–84.
- Jeon K, Kwon OJ, Lee NY, Kim BJ, Kook YH, Lee SH, Antibiotic treatment of Mycobacterium abscessus lung disease: a retrospective analysis of 65 patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:896–902 .
- Jarand J, Levin A, Zhang L, Huitt G, Mitchell JD, Daley CL. Clinical and microbiologic outcomes in patients receiving treatment for Mycobacterium abscessus pulmonary disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:565–71.
- Koh WJ, Jeon K, Lee NY, Kim BJ, Kook YH, Lee SH, Clinical significance of differentiation of Mycobacterium massiliense from Mycobacterium abscessus. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183:405–10.
- Kothavade RJ, Dhurat RS, Mishra SN, Kothavade UR. Clinical and laboratory aspects of the diagnosis and management of cutaneous and subcutaneous infections caused by rapidly growing mycobacteria. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013;32:161–88 .
- Nakanaga K, Hoshino Y, Era Y, Matsumoto K, Kanazawa Y, Tomita A, Multiple cases of cutaneous Mycobacterium massiliense infection in a “hot spa” in Japan. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:613–7.
- Lee MR, Cheng A, Lee YC, Yang CY, Lai CC, Huang YT, CNS infections caused by Mycobacterium abscessus complex: clinical features and antimicrobial susceptibilities of isolates. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:222–5.
- Shields RK, Clancy CJ, Minces LR, Shigemura N, Kwak EJ, Silveira FP, Epidemiology and outcomes of deep surgical site infections following lung transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2013;13:2137–45.
- Browne SK, Burbelo PD, Chetchotisakd P, Suputtamongkol Y, Kiertiburanakul S, Shaw PA, Adult-onset immunodeficiency in Thailand and Taiwan. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:725–34.
- El Helou G, Viola GM, Hachem R, Han XY, Raad II. Rapidly growing mycobacterial bloodstream infections. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:166–74.
- El Helou G, Hachem R, Viola GM, El Zakhem A, Chaftari AM, Jiang Y, Management of rapidly growing mycobacterial bacteremia in cancer patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:843–6.
- Lee MR, Ko JC, Liang SK, Lee SW, Yen DH, Hsueh PR. Bacteraemia caused by Mycobacterium abscessus subsp. abscessus and M. abscessus subsp. bolletii: clinical features and susceptibilities of the isolates. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2014;43:438–41.
- Girgis DO, Karp CL, Miller D. Ocular infections caused by non-tuberculous mycobacteria: update on epidemiology and management. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2012;40:467–75.
- Moorthy RS, Valluri S, Rao NA. Nontuberculous mycobacterial ocular and adnexal infections. Surv Ophthalmol. 2012;57:202–35.
- Liu R, To KK, Teng JL, Choi GK, Mok KY, Law KI, Mycobacterium abscessus bacteremia after receipt of intravenous infusate of cytokine-induced killer cell therapy for body beautification and health boosting. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:981–91.
- Bryant JM, Grogono DM, Greaves D, Foweraker J, Roddick I, Inns T, Whole-genome sequencing to identify transmission of Mycobacterium abscessus between patients with cystic fibrosis: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2013;381:1551–60.
- Viana-Niero C, Lima KV, Lopes ML, Rabello MC, Marsola LR, Brilhante VC, Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium massiliense and Mycobacterium bolletii in isolates collected from outbreaks of infections after laparoscopic surgeries and cosmetic procedures. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:850–5.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Susceptibility testing of mycobacteria, nocardiae, and other aerobic actinomycetes. Approved standard—second edition. CLSI document M24–A2. Wayne (PA): The Institute; 2011.
- Adékambi T, Drancourt M. Mycobacterium bolletii respiratory infections. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:302–5.
- Lee SH, Yoo HK, Kim SH, Koh WJ, Kim CK, Park YK, The drug resistance profile of Mycobacterium abscessus group strains from Korea. Ann Lab Med. 2014;34:31–7.
- Huang YC, Liu MF, Shen GH, Lin CF, Kao CC, Liu PY, Clinical outcome of Mycobacterium abscessus infection and antimicrobial susceptibility testing. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2010;43:401–6.
- Brown-Elliott BA, Mann LB, Hail D, Whitney C, Wallace RJ Jr. Antimicrobial susceptibility of nontuberculous mycobacteria from eye infections. Cornea. 2012;31:900–6.
- Broda A, Jebbari H, Beaton K, Mitchell S, Drobniewski F. Comparative drug resistance of Mycobacterium abscessus and M. chelonae isolates from patients with and without cystic fibrosis in the United Kingdom. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:217–23.
- Zhuo FL, Sun ZG, Li CY, Liu ZH, Cai L, Zhou C, Clinical isolates of Mycobacterium abscessus in Guangzhou area most possibly from the environmental infection showed variable susceptibility. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:1878–83 .
- Nash KA, Brown-Elliott BA, Wallace RJ Jr. A novel gene, erm(41), confers inducible macrolide resistance to clinical isolates of Mycobacterium abscessus but is absent from Mycobacterium chelonae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:1367–76.
- Thomson RM, Carter R, Tolson C, Coulter C, Huygens F, Hargreaves M. Factors associated with the isolation of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) from a large municipal water system in Brisbane, Australia. BMC Microbiol. 2013;13:89.