Volume 22, Number 1—January 2016
New Clinical Strain of Neisseria gonorrhoeae with Decreased Susceptibility to Ceftriaxone, Japan
- Ohnishi M, Golparian D, Shimuta K, Sakai T, Hoshina S, Iwasaku K, Is Neisseria gonorrhoeae initiating a future era of untreatable gonorrhea?: detailed characterization of the first strain with high-level resistance to ceftriaxone. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:3538–45.
- Unemo M, Golparian D, Nicholas R, Ohnishi M, Gallay A, Sednaoui P. High-level cefixime- and ceftriaxone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae in France: novel penA mosaic allele in a successful international clone causes treatment failure. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:1273–80.
- Lahra MM, Ryder N, Whiley DM. A new multidrug-resistant strain of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Australia. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1850–1.
- Hjelmevoll SO, Olsen ME, Sollid JU, Haaheim H, Unemo M, Skogen V. A fast real-time polymerase chain reaction method for sensitive and specific detection of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae porA pseudogene. J Mol Diagn. 2006;8:574–81.
- European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. Breakpoint tables for interpretation of MICs and zone diameters. Version 5.0, 2015 [cited 2015 May 1]. http://www.eucast.org/fileadmin/src/media/PDFs/EUCAST_files/Breakpoint_tables/v_5.0_Breakpoint_Table_01.pdf
- Ito M, Deguchi T, Mizutani KS, Yasuda M, Yokoi S, Ito S, Emergence and spread of Neisseria gonorrhoeae clinical isolates harboring mosaic-like structure of penicillin-binding protein 2 in Central Japan. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:137–43.
- Tomberg J, Unemo M, Ohnishi M, Davies C, Nicholas RA. Identification of amino acids conferring high-level resistance to expanded-spectrum cephalosporins in the penA gene from Neisseria gonorrhoeae strain H041. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:3029–36.
- Ohnishi M, Watanabe Y, Ono E, Takahashi C, Oya H, Kuroki T, Spread of a chromosomal cefixime-resistant penA gene among different Neisseria gonorrhoeae lineages. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1060–7.
- Unemo M, Sjöstrand A, Akhras M, Gharizadeh B, Lindbäck E, Pourmand N, Molecular characterization of Neisseria gonorrhoeae identifies transmission and resistance of one ciprofloxacin-resistant strain. APMIS. 2007;115:231–41.
- Chisholm SA, Mouton JW, Lewis DA, Nichols T, Ison CA, Livermore DM. Cephalosporin MIC creep among gonococci: time for a pharmacodynamic rethink? J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010;65:2141–8.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: December 18, 2015
Page updated: December 18, 2015
Page reviewed: December 18, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.