Volume 22, Number 1—January 2016
Effectiveness of Ring Vaccination as Control Strategy for Ebola Virus Disease
- Wellcome Trust, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. Recommendations for accelerating the development of Ebola vaccines [cited 2015 Oct 20]. http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/stellent/groups/corporatesite/@policy_communications/documents/web_document/wtp058693.pdf
- Ebola ça Suffit Ring Vaccination Trial Consortium. The ring vaccination trial: a novel cluster randomised controlled trial design to evaluate vaccine efficacy and effectiveness during outbreaks, with special reference to Ebola. BMJ. 2015;351:h3740 .
- Henao-Restrepo AM, Longini I Jr, Egger M, Dean NE, Edmunds WJ, Camacho A, Efficacy and effectiveness of an rVSV-vectored vaccine expressing Ebola surface glycoprotein: interim results from the Guinea ring vaccination cluster-randomised trial. Lancet. 2015;386:857–66 .
- Fenner F, Henderson DA, Arita I, Jezek Z, Ladnyi ID. Smallpox and its eradication. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1988.
- Wells C, Yamin D, Ndeffo-Mbah ML, Wenzel N, Gaffney SG, Townsend JP, Harnessing case isolation and ring vaccination to control Ebola. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9:e0003794.
- Althaus CL. Ebola superspreading. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:507–8.
- Faye O, Böelle PY, Heleze E, Faye O, Loucoubar C, Magassouba N, Chains of transmission and control of Ebola virus disease in Conakry, Guinea, in 2014: an observational study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:320–6.
- Kretzschmar M, Van den Hof S, Wallinga J, Van Wijngaarden J. Ring vaccination and smallpox control. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:832–41.
- Lloyd-Smith JO, Schreiber SJ, Kopp PE, Getz WM. Superspreading and the effect of individual variation on disease emergence. Nature. 2005;438:355–9.
- WHO Ebola Response Team. Ebola virus disease in West Africa—the first 9 months of the epidemic and forward projections. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1481–95.
- Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases. Visualisation and projections of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa [cited 2015 Oct 20]. http://cmmid.lshtm.ac.uk/ebola/
- Nielsen CF, Kidd S, Sillah AR, Davis E, Mermin J, Kilmarx PH. Improving burial practices and cemetery management during an Ebola virus disease epidemic—Sierra Leone, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:20–7 .
- Camacho A, Kucharski AJ, Funk S, Breman J, Piot P, Edmunds WJ. Potential for large outbreaks of Ebola virus disease. Epidemics. 2014;9:70–8.
- Heymann DL. Ebola: learn from the past. Nature. 2014;514:299–300.
Page created: December 18, 2015
Page updated: December 18, 2015
Page reviewed: December 18, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.