Volume 22, Number 9—September 2016
Travel- and Community-Based Transmission of Multidrug-Resistant Shigella sonnei Lineage among International Orthodox Jewish Communities
|France||1996–2014||Multiple outbreaks||This study, (21)||64|
||This study, (23)
||Matched (time and phage-type) non-OJC cases
|United States and Canada OJCs
||Sentinel laboratory surveillance
||This study, (19)
||Used for background
|*OJC, Orthodox Jewish communities. †90% known OJC ethnicity.|
- World Health Organization. WHO Global strategy for containment of antimicrobial resistance. Switzerland: The Organization; 2001.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2013 [cited 2016 May 26]. http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/index.html
- van der Bij AK, Pitout JD. The role of international travel in the worldwide spread of multiresistant Enterobacteriaceae. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:2090–100.
- GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators. Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2015;385:117–71.
- Kotloff KL, Winickoff JP, Ivanoff B, Clemens JD, Swerdlow DL, Sansonetti PJ, Global burden of Shigella infections: implications for vaccine development and implementation of control strategies. Bull World Health Organ. 1999;77:651–66.
- Kothary MH, Babu US. Infective dose of foodborne pathogens in volunteers: a review. J Food Saf. 2001;21:49–68.
- Vinh H, Baker S, Campbell J, Hoang NV, Loan HT, Chinh MT, Rapid emergence of third generation cephalosporin resistant Shigella spp. in Southern Vietnam. J Med Microbiol. 2009;58:281–3.
- Ashkenazi S, Levy I, Kazaronovski V, Samra Z. Growing antimicrobial resistance of Shigella isolates. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2003;51:427–9.
- Kuo CY, Su LH, Perera J, Carlos C, Tan BH, Kumarasinghe G, Antimicrobial susceptibility of Shigella isolates in eight Asian countries, 2001–2004. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2008;41:107–11.
- Vrints M, Mairiaux E, Van Meervenne E, Collard JM, Bertrand S. Surveillance of antibiotic susceptibility patterns among Shigella sonnei strains isolated in Belgium during the 18-year period 1990 to 2007. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:1379–85.
- Livio S, Strockbine NA, Panchalingam S, Tennant SM, Barry EM, Marohn ME, Shigella isolates from the global enteric multicenter study inform vaccine development. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:933–41 .
- Bangtrakulnonth A, Vieira AR, Lo Fo Wong DM, Pornreongwong S, Pulsrikarn C, Sawanpanyalert P, Shigella from humans in Thailand during 1993 to 2006: spatial-time trends in species and serotype distribution. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2008;5:773–84.
- Qiu S, Xu X, Yang C, Wang J, Liang B, Li P, Shift in serotype distribution of Shigella species in China, 2003–2013. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015;21:252.e5–8 .
- Banga Singh KK, Ojha SC, Deris ZZ, Rahman RA. A 9-year study of shigellosis in Northeast Malaysia: antimicrobial susceptibility and shifting species dominance. J Public Health (Bangkok). 2011;19:231–6.
- Vinh H, Nhu NT, Nga TV, Duy PT, Campbell JI, Hoang NV, A changing picture of shigellosis in southern Vietnam: shifting species dominance, antimicrobial susceptibility and clinical presentation. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:204.
- Holt KE, Baker S, Weill FX, Holmes EC, Kitchen A, Yu J, Shigella sonnei genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis indicate recent global dissemination from Europe. Nat Genet. 2012;44:1056–9.
- Holt KE, Thieu Nga TV, Thanh DP, Vinh H, Kim DW, Vu Tra MP, Tracking the establishment of local endemic populations of an emergent enteric pathogen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17522–7.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Multistate outbreak of Shigella sonnei gastroenteritis—United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1987;36:440–2, 448–9.
- Cohen D, Bassal R, Goren S, Rouach T, Taran D, Schemberg B, Recent trends in the epidemiology of shigellosis in Israel. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:2583–94.
- Garrett V, Bornschlegel K, Lange D, Reddy V, Kornstein L, Kornblum J, A recurring outbreak of Shigella sonnei among traditionally observant Jewish children in New York City: the risks of daycare and household transmission. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134:1231–6.
- Boumghar-Bourtchai L, Mariani-Kurkdjian P, Bingen E, Filliol I, Dhalluin A, Ifrane SA, Macrolide-resistant Shigella sonnei. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1297–9.
- De Schrijver K, Bertrand S, Gutierrez Garitano I, Van den Branden D, Van Schaeren J. Outbreak of Shigella sonnei infections in the Orthodox Jewish community of Antwerp, Belgium, April to August 2008. Euro Surveill. 2011;16:19838.
- McDonnell J, Dallman T, Atkin S, Turbitt DA, Connor TR, Grant KA, Retrospective analysis of whole genome sequencing compared to prospective typing data in further informing the epidemiological investigation of an outbreak of Shigella sonnei in the UK. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;141:2568–75.
- Sobel J, Cameron DN, Ismail J, Strockbine N, Williams M, Diaz PS, A prolonged outbreak of Shigella sonnei infections in traditionally observant Jewish communities in North America caused by a molecularly distinct bacterial subtype. J Infect Dis. 1998;177:1405–9.
- Ashton PM, Baker KS, Gentle A, Wooldridge DJ, Thomson NR, Dallman TJ, Draft genome sequences of the type strains of Shigella flexneri held at Public Health England: comparison of classical phenotypic and novel molecular assays with whole genome sequence. Gut Pathog. 2014;6:7 .
- Quail MA, Kozarewa I, Smith F, Scally A, Stephens PJ, Durbin R, A large genome center’s improvements to the Illumina sequencing system. Nat Methods. 2008;5:1005–10.
- Quail MA, Otto TD, Gu Y, Harris SR, Skelly TF, McQuillan JA, Optimal enzymes for amplifying sequencing libraries. Nat Methods. 2011;9:10–1.
- Baker KS, Dallman TJ, Ashton PM, Day M, Hughes G, Crook PD, Intercontinental dissemination of azithromycin-resistant shigellosis through sexual transmission: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;8:933–21.
- Croucher NJ, Page AJ, Connor TR, Delaney AJ, Keane JA, Bentley SD, Rapid phylogenetic analysis of large samples of recombinant bacterial whole genome sequences using Gubbins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:e15.
- Stamatakis A. RAxML-VI-HPC: maximum likelihood-based phylogenetic analyses with thousands of taxa and mixed models. Bioinformatics. 2006;22:2688–90.
- Drummond AJ, Rambaut A. BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:214.
- Rambaut A, Lam TT, Max Carvalho L, Pybus OG. Exploring the temporal structure of heterochronous sequences using TempEst (formerly Path-O-Gen). Virus Evolution. 2016;2:1.
- Carattoli A, Zankari E, Garcia-Fernandez A, Voldby Larsen M, Lund O, Villa L, In silico detection and typing of plasmids using PlasmidFinder and plasmid multilocus sequence typing. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014;58:3895–903.
- Carver TJ, Rutherford KM, Berriman M, Rajandream MA, Barrell BG, Parkhill J. ACT: the Artemis Comparison Tool. Bioinformatics. 2005;21:3422–3.
- Ye C, Lan R, Xia S, Zhang J, Sun Q, Zhang S, Emergence of a new multidrug-resistant serotype X variant in an epidemic clone of Shigella flexneri. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:419–26.
Page created: August 16, 2016
Page updated: August 16, 2016
Page reviewed: August 16, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.