Volume 23, Number 10—October 2017
CME ACTIVITY - Synopsis
Fatal Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever along the United States–Mexico Border, 2013–2016
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Medscape, LLC and Emerging Infectious Diseases. Medscape, LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Medscape, LLC designates this Journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
All other clinicians completing this activity will be issued a certificate of participation. To participate in this journal CME activity: (1) review the learning objectives and author disclosures; (2) study the education content; (3) take the post-test with a 75% minimum passing score and complete the evaluation at http://www.medscape.org/journal/eid; and (4) view/print certificate.
Release date: September 13, 2017; Expiration date: September 13, 2018
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
• Identify clinical presentation and diagnosis of Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) in patients with rapidly progressing febrile illness and recent exposure in northern Mexico, based on a series of 4 fatal cases.
• Interpret the clinical course and management of RMSF in patients with rapidly progressing febrile illness and recent exposure in northern Mexico.
• Determine the clinical implications of analysis of this series of 4 fatal cases of RMSF in patients with rapidly progressing febrile illness and recent exposure in northern Mexico.
P. Lynne Stockton Taylor, VMD, MS, ELS(D), Technical Writer/Editor, Emerging Infectious Diseases. Disclosure: P. Lynne Stockton Taylor, VMD, MS, ELS(D), has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Laurie Barclay, MD, freelance writer and reviewer, Medscape, LLC. Disclosure: Laurie Barclay, MD, has disclosed the following relevant financial relationships: owns stock, stock options, or bonds from Alnylam; Biogen; Pfizer.
Disclosures: Naomi A. Drexler, MPH; Hayley Yaglom, MS, MPH; Mariana Casal, MD, MPH; Maria Fierro, MD, MPH; Paula Kriner, MPH; Brian Murphy, DrPH; Anne Kjemtrup, DVM, MPVM, PhD; and Christopher D. Paddock, MD, MPH, have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.>
- Page created: September 18, 2017
- Page last updated: September 18, 2017
- Page last reviewed: September 18, 2017
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Office of the Director (OD)