Volume 23, Number 12—December 2017
Rabies and Distemper Outbreaks in Smallest Ethiopian Wolf Population
|Date found||Species||Age and sex||Postmortem||Tested for RABV†||Tested for CDV‡|
|Jun 26||Ethiopian wolf||Juvenile female||No||NA||NA|
|Jun 28||Ethiopian wolf||Juvenile male||Yes||No||No|
|Jul 07||Ethiopian wolf||Adult male||Yes||Positive||No|
|Jul 11||Ethiopian wolf||Juvenile female||Yes||Positive||No|
|Jul 18||Ethiopian wolf||Juvenile female||No||NA||NA|
|Aug 12||Ethiopian wolf||Adult male||No||NA||NA|
|Sep 01||Domestic dog||Adult male||Yes||Positive||Negative|
|Sep 07||Ethiopian wolf||Adult female||Yes||Positive||Negative|
|Nov 27||Domestic dog||Adult male||Yes||Negative||Positive|
|*CDV, canine distemper virus; NA, not applicable; RABV, rabies virus. †Rabies diagnostic reverse transcription PCR was performed as described previously (6). ‡CDV diagnostic reverse transcription PCR as performed as described previously (3).|
- Mähl P, Cliquet F, Guiot A-L, Niin E, Fournials E, Saint-Jean N, et al. Twenty year experience of the oral rabies vaccine SAG2 in wildlife: a global review. Vet Res (Faisalabad). 2014;45:77.
- Strategic planning for Ethiopian wolf conservation. Oxford (UK): International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Canid Specialist Group; 2011. p. 79 [cited 2017 May 25]. https://portals.iucn.org/library/efiles/documents/2011-090.pdf
- Gordon CH, Banyard AC, Hussein A, Laurenson MK, Malcolm JR, Marino J, et al. Canine distemper in endangered Ethiopian wolves. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:824–32.
- Haydon DT, Randall DA, Matthews L, Knobel DL, Tallents LA, Gravenor MB, et al. Low-coverage vaccination strategies for the conservation of endangered species. Nature. 2006;443:692–5.
- Haydon DT, Laurenson MK, Sillero-Zubiri C. Integrating epidemiology into population viability analysis: managing the risk posed by rabies and canine distemper to the Ethiopian wolf. Conserv Biol. 2002;16:1372–85.
- Johnson N, Mansfield KL, Marston DA, Wilson C, Goddard T, Selden D, et al. A new outbreak of rabies in rare Ethiopian wolves (Canis simensis). Arch Virol. 2010;155:1175–7.
- Sillero-Zubiri C. Field immobilization of Ethiopian wolves (Canis simensis). J Wildl Dis. 1996;32:147–51.
- Laurenson K, Sillero-Zubiri C, Thompson H, Shiferaw F, Thirgood S, Malcolm J. Disease as a threat to endangered species: Ethiopian wolves, domestic dogs and canine pathogens. Anim Conserv. 1998;1:273–80.
- Marino J, Sillero-Zubiri C, Gottelli D, Johnson PJ, Macdonald DW. The fall and rise of Ethiopian wolves: lessons for conservation of long-lived, social predators. Anim Conserv. 2013;16:621–32.
- Sillero-Zubiri C, Marino J, Gordon CH, Bedin E, Hussein A, Regassa F, et al. Feasibility and efficacy of oral rabies vaccine SAG2 in endangered Ethiopian wolves. Vaccine. 2016;34:4792–8.
Page created: November 16, 2017
Page updated: November 16, 2017
Page reviewed: November 16, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.