Volume 23, Number 8—August 2017
Risk for Death among Children with Pneumonia, Afghanistan
|<1 (newborn)||17 (2.7)|
|Duration of illness >7 d before hospitalization
|Received antimicrobial drugs before hospitalization|
|Vaccination status, vitamin A intake, and nutritional status|
|Bacillus Calmette–Guérin vaccine||545 (85.2)|
|>1 dose of pentavalent vaccine, n = 568||436 (76.8)|
|Measles vaccine, n = 171||107 (62.6)|
|>1 dose of vitamin A, n = 345
|Not detected||381 (59.6)|
|Not detected||220 (34.4)|
|Both malnutrition and anemia, n = 514
|Very severe pneumonia‡
|Clinical outcome, n = 617|
|Discharged well||542 (87.9)|
*Defined by weight/age z score <–2, and the z score value was calculated by using World Health Organization Anthro software, version 3.2.2 9 (http://www.who.int/childgrowth/software/en/).
†Defined according to the World Health Organization (4) and Janus et al. (5).
‡Severity classified according to World Health Organization (3). Very severe pneumonia is defined as cough or difficulty breathing with 1 of the following: central cyanosis, difficulty feeding, convulsions, lethargy, loss of consciousness, severe respiratory distress.
- World Health Organization. Afghanistan: health profile. 2014 [cited 2014 May 24]. http://www.who.int/gho/countries/afg.pdf
- Gilani Z, Kwong YD, Levine OS, Deloria-Knoll M, Scott JA, O’Brien KL, et al. A literature review and survey of childhood pneumonia etiology studies: 2000-2010. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54(Suppl 2):S102–8.
- World Health Organization. Pocket book of hospital care for children: guidelines for the management of common illnesses with limited resources. Geneva: The Organization; 2005.
- World Health Organization. Haemoglobin concentrations for the diagnosis of anaemia and assessment of severity. Vitamin and mineral nutrition information system. WHO/NMH/NHD/MNM/11.1. Geneva: The Organization; 2011.
- Janus J, Moerschel SK. Evaluation of anemia in children. Am Fam Physician. 2010;81:1462–71.
- Dhoubhadel BG, Yasunami M, Yoshida LM, Thi HA, Thi TH, Thi TA, et al. A novel high-throughput method for molecular serotyping and serotype-specific quantification of Streptococcus pneumoniae using a nanofluidic real-time PCR system. J Med Microbiol. 2014;63:528–39.
- Nair H, Simões EA, Rudan I, Gessner BD, Azziz-Baumgartner E, Zhang JS, et al.; Severe Acute Lower Respiratory Infections Working Group. Global and regional burden of hospital admissions for severe acute lower respiratory infections in young children in 2010: a systematic analysis. Lancet. 2013;381:1380–90.
- Bryce J, Victora CG, Habicht JP, Black RE, Scherpbier RW; MCE-IMCI Technical Advisors. Programmatic pathways to child survival: results of a multi-country evaluation of Integrated Management of Childhood Illness. Health Policy Plan. 2005;20(Suppl 1):i5–17.
- Bassani DG, Kumar R, Awasthi S, Morris SK, Paul VK, Shet A, et al.; Million Death Study Collaborators. Causes of neonatal and child mortality in India: a nationally representative mortality survey. Lancet. 2010;376:1853–60.
- Mustufa MA, Korejo R, Shahid A, Nasim S. Infection remains a leading cause of neonatal mortality among infants delivered at a tertiary hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014;8:1470–5.
- Seward N, Osrin D, Li L, Costello A, Pulkki-Brännström AM, Houweling TA, et al. Association between clean delivery kit use, clean delivery practices, and neonatal survival: pooled analysis of data from three sites in South Asia. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001180.
- Lassi ZS, Das JK, Zahid G, Imdad A, Bhutta ZA. Impact of education and provision of complementary feeding on growth and morbidity in children less than 2 years of age in developing countries: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(Suppl 3):S13.
- de Castro MJ, Pardo-Seco J, Martinón-Torres F. Nonspecific (heterologous) protection of neonatal BCG vaccination against hospitalization due to respiratory infection and sepsis. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:1611–9.
- Factor SH, LaClaire L, Bronsdon M, Suleymanova F, Altynbaeva G, Kadirov BA, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type B carriage, central Asia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1476–9.
- Sanaei Dashti A, Abdinia B, Karimi A. Nasopharyngeal carrier rate of Streptococcus pneumoniae in children: serotype distribution and antimicrobial resistance. Arch Iran Med. 2012;15:500–3.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.