Volume 24, Number 8—August 2018
Case Series of Severe Neurologic Sequelae of Ebola Virus Disease during Epidemic, Sierra Leone
- World Health Organization. Ebola Situation Report—30 March 2016 [cited 2018 May 15] Ebola. http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-situation/ebola-situation-report-30-march-2016
- Sagui E, Janvier F, Baize S, Foissaud V, Koulibaly F, Savini H, et al. Severe Ebola virus infection with encephalopathy: evidence for direct virus involvement. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61:1627–8.
- Howlett P, Brown C, Helderman T, Brooks T, Lisk D, Deen G, et al. Ebola virus disease complicated by late-onset encephalitis and polyarthritis, Sierra Leone. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:150–2.
- Jacobs M, Rodger A, Bell DJ, Bhagani S, Cropley I, Filipe A, et al. Late Ebola virus relapse causing meningoencephalitis: a case report. Lancet. 2016;388:498–503.
- Chertow DS, Nath A, Suffredini AF, Danner RL, Reich DS, Bishop RJ, et al. Severe meningoencephalitis in a case of Ebola virus disease: a case report. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165:301–4.
- de Greslan T, Billhot M, Rousseau C, Mac Nab C, Karkowski L, Cournac JM, et al. Ebola virus-related encephalitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63:1076–8.
- Larsen T, Stevens EL, Davis KJ, Geisbert JB, Daddario-DiCaprio KM, Jahrling PB, et al. Pathologic findings associated with delayed death in nonhuman primates experimentally infected with Zaire Ebola virus. J Infect Dis. 2007;196(Suppl 2):S323–8.
- Bechtelsheimer H, Jacob H, Solcher H. The neuropathology of an infectious disease transmitted by African green monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops). Ger Med Mon. 1969;14:10–2.
- Jacob H. The neuropathology of the marburg disease in man. In: Martini GA, Siegert R, editors. Marburg virus disease. Berlin, Heidelberg (Germany): Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1971. p. 54–61.
- Alves DA, Honko AN, Kortepeter MG, Sun M, Johnson JC, Lugo-Roman LA, et al. Necrotizing scleritis, conjunctivitis, and other pathologic findings in the left eye and brain of an Ebola virus–infected rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta) with apparent recovery and a delayed time of death. J Infect Dis. 2016;213:57–60.
- Steptoe PJ, Scott JT, Baxter JM, Parkes CK, Dwivedi R, Czanner G, et al. Novel retinal lesion in Ebola survivors, Sierra Leone, 2016. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:1102–9.
- Billioux BJ, Smith B, Nath A. Neurological complications of Ebola virus infection. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:461–70.
- Vetter P, Kaiser L, Schibler M, Ciglenecki I, Bausch DG. Sequelae of Ebola virus disease: the emergency within the emergency. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:e82–91.
- Scott JT, Sesay FR, Massaquoi TA, Idriss BR, Sahr F, Semple MG. Post-Ebola Syndrome, Sierra Leone. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:641–6.
- Rowe AK, Bertolli J, Khan AS, Mukunu R, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Bressler D, et al. Clinical, virologic, and immunologic follow-up of convalescent Ebola hemorrhagic fever patients and their household contacts, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Commission de Lutte contre les Epidémies à Kikwit. J Infect Dis. 1999;179(Suppl 1):S28–35.
- Clark DV, Kibuuka H, Millard M, Wakabi S, Lukwago L, Taylor A, et al. Long-term sequelae after Ebola virus disease in Bundibugyo, Uganda: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:905–12.
- Mohammed A, Sheikh TL, Gidado S, Abdus-Salam IA, Adeyemi J, Olayinka A, et al. Psychiatric treatment of a health care worker after infection with Ebola virus in Lagos, Nigeria. Am J Psychiatry. 2015;172:222–4.
- Mohammed A, Sheikh TL, Gidado S, Poggensee G, Nguku P, Olayinka A, et al. An evaluation of psychological distress and social support of survivors and contacts of Ebola virus disease infection and their relatives in Lagos, Nigeria: a cross sectional study—2014. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:824.
- Qureshi AI, Chughtai M, Loua TO, Pe Kolie J, Camara HF, Ishfaq MF, et al. Study of Ebola virus disease survivors in Guinea. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61:1035–42.
- Etard J-F, Sow MS, Leroy S, Touré A, Taverne B, Keita AK, et al.; Postebogui Study Group. Multidisciplinary assessment of post-Ebola sequelae in Guinea (Postebogui): an observational cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:545–52.
- Keita MM, Taverne B, Sy Savané S, March L, Doukoure M, Sow MS, et al.; PostEboGui Study Group. Depressive symptoms among survivors of Ebola virus disease in Conakry (Guinea): preliminary results of the PostEboGui cohort. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:127.
- World Health Organization. WHO Disability assessment schedule 2.0. Geneva: The Organziation; 2018 [cited 2018 May 15]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/ebola/guidance-survivors/en/
- World Health Organization. Clinical care for survivors of Ebola virus disease. Geneva: The Organziation; 2016 [cited 2018 May 15]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/ebola/guidance-survivors/en/
- Steptoe PJ, Momorie F, Alimarny DF, Komba SP, Emsley E, Scott JT, et al. Multimodal imaging and spatial analysis of Ebola retinal lesions and associated dark without pressure in 14 survivors of Ebola virus disease. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018;136:689–93.
- Nanyonga M, Saidu J, Ramsay A, Shindo N, Bausch DG. Sequelae of Ebola Virus Disease, Kenema District, Sierra Leone. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62:125–6.
- Woldeamanuel YW, Andreou AP, Cowan RP. Prevalence of migraine headache and its weight on neurological burden in Africa: a 43-year systematic review and meta-analysis of community-based studies. J Neurol Sci. 2014;342:1–15.
- Epstein L, Wong KK, Kallen AJ, Uyeki TM. Post-Ebola signs and symptoms in U.S. survivors. N Engl J Med. 2015;373:2484–6.
- Hunt NH, Too LK, Khaw LT, Guo J, Hee L, Mitchell AJ, et al. The kynurenine pathway and parasitic infections that affect CNS function. Neuropharmacology. 2017;112(Pt B):389–98.
- Joshi SG, Cho TA. Pathophysiological mechanisms of headache in patients with HIV. Headache. 2014;54:946–50.
- Dundar NO, Aralasmak A, Gurer IE, Haspolat S. Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis case presenting with cortical blindness: early diagnosis with MRI and MR spectroscopy. Clin Neuroradiol. 2014;24:185–8.
- Dhillon P, McCarthy S, Gibbs M. Surviving stroke in an Ebola treatment centre. BMJ Case Rep. 2015;2015:3–4.
- Wilson AJ, Martin DS, Maddox V, Rattenbury S, Bland D, Bhagani S, et al. Thromboelastography in the management of coagulopathy associated with Ebola virus disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62:610–2.
- Nicastri E, Balestra P, Ricottini M, Petrosillo N, Di Caro A, Capobianchi MR, et al.; INMI’s Ebola Team. Temporary neurocognitive impairment with Ebola virus. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016;87:1386–7.
- Betancourt TS, Brennan RT, Vinck P, VanderWeele TJ, Spencer-Walters D, Jeong J, et al. Associations between mental health and Ebola-related health behaviors: a regionally representative cross-sectional survey in post-conflict Sierra Leone. PLoS Med. 2016;13:e1002073.
- Jagadesh S, Sevalie S, Fatoma R, Sesay F, Sahr F, Faragher B, et al. Disability among Ebola survivors and their close contacts in Sierra Leone: a retrospective case-controlled cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66:131–3.
- Zeng X, Blancett CD, Koistinen KA, Schellhase CW, Bearss JJ, Radoshitzky SR, et al. Identification and pathological characterization of persistent asymptomatic Ebola virus infection in rhesus monkeys. Nat Microbiol. 2017;2:17113.
Page created: July 17, 2018
Page updated: July 17, 2018
Page reviewed: July 17, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.