Volume 25, Number 11—November 2019
Drug-Susceptible and Multidrug-Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a Single Patient
|Patient age, y/sex||Immune status||Site(s) of infection||Time to recurrence||Platform for strain identification||Patient country of origin||Country of diagnosis||Reference|
||Lymph node, gastric aspirate
||Mixed-linker fingerprint PCR
||Spoligotyping and MIRU
||Pulmonary, gastric aspirate
||IS6110 RFLP and spoligotyping
|28/M||HIV positive||Lymph node, trachea||84 d||Spoligotyping and WGS||Philippines||USA||This study|
*IS, insertion sequence; MIRU-VNTR, mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit–variable number tandem repeat; RFLP, restriction fragment length polymorphism; WGS, whole genome sequencing.
- Theisen A, Reichel C, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Haas WH, Rockstroh JK, Spengler U, et al. Mixed-strain infection with a drug-sensitive and multidrug-resistant strain of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Lancet. 1995;345:1512–3.
- Niemann S, Richter E, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Schlaak M, Greinert U. Double infection with a resistant and a multidrug-resistant strain of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:548–51.
- Hingley-Wilson SM, Casey R, Connell D, Bremang S, Evans JT, Hawkey PM, et al. Undetected multidrug-resistant tuberculosis amplified by first-line therapy in mixed infection. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1138–41.
- Mendez MP, Landon ME, McCloud MK, Davidson P, Christensen PJ. Co-infection with pansensitive and multidrug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:578–80.
- Yakrus MA, Driscoll J, Lentz AJ, Sikes D, Hartline D, Metchock B, et al. Concordance between molecular and phenotypic testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolates for resistance to rifampin and isoniazid in the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 2014;52:1932–7.
- Campbell PJ, Morlock GP, Sikes RD, Dalton TL, Metchock B, Starks AM, et al. Molecular detection of mutations associated with first- and second-line drug resistance compared with conventional drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:2032–41.
- Shah NS, Auld SC, Brust JCM, Mathema B, Ismail N, Moodley P, et al. Transmission of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in South Africa. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:243–53.
- Martín A, Herranz M, Ruiz Serrano MJ, Bouza E, García de Viedma D. The clonal composition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical specimens could be modified by culture. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2010;90:201–7.
- Operario DJ, Koeppel AF, Turner SD, Bao Y, Pholwat S, Banu S, et al. Prevalence and extent of heteroresistance by next generation sequencing of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2017;12:
- McNerney R, Clark TG, Campino S, Rodrigues C, Dolinger D, Smith L, et al. Removing the bottleneck in whole genome sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for rapid drug resistance analysis: a call to action. Int J Infect Dis. 2017;56:130–5.
Page created: October 15, 2019
Page updated: October 15, 2019
Page reviewed: October 15, 2019
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.