Volume 25, Number 12—December 2019
West Nile Virus in Wildlife and Nonequine Domestic Animals, South Africa, 2010–2018
- Murray KO, Walker C, Gould E. The virology, epidemiology, and clinical impact of West Nile virus: a decade of advancements in research since its introduction into the Western Hemisphere. Epidemiol Infect. 2011;139:807–17.
- Pauli G, Bauerfeind U, Blümel J, Burger R, Drosten C, Gröner A, et al. West nile virus. Transfus Med Hemother. 2013;40:265–84.
- Venter M, Pretorius M, Fuller JA, Botha E, Rakgotho M, Stivaktas V, et al. West Nile virus lineage 2 in horses and other animals with neurologic disease, South Africa, 2008–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:2060–4.
- Gould LH, Fikrig E. West Nile virus: a growing concern? J Clin Invest. 2004;113:1102–7.
- Zaayman D, Human S, Venter M. A highly sensitive method for the detection and genotyping of West Nile virus by real-time PCR. J Virol Methods. 2009;157:155–60.
- O’Dell N, Arnot L, Janisch CE, Steyl JC. Clinical presentation and pathology of suspected vector transmitted African horse sickness in South African domestic dogs from 2006 to 2017. Vet Rec. 2018;182:715.
- Blackburn NK, Reyers F, Berry WL, Shepherd AJ. Susceptibility of dogs to West Nile virus: a survey and pathogenicity trial. J Comp Pathol. 1989;100:59–66.
- van Niekerk S, Human S, Williams J, van Wilpe E, Pretorius M, Swanepoel R, et al. Sindbis and Middelburg Old World alphaviruses associated with neurologic disease in horses, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:2225–9.
- Van Eeden C, Zaayman D, Venter M. A sensitive nested real-time RT-PCR for the detection of Shuni virus. J Virol Methods. 2014;195:100–5.
- van Niekerk M, Freeman M, Paweska JT, Howell PG, Guthrie AJ, Potgieter AC, et al. Variation in the NS3 gene and protein in South African isolates of bluetongue and equine encephalosis viruses. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:581–90.
- Yaeger M, Yoon K-J, Schwartz K, Berkland L. West Nile virus meningoencephalitis in a Suri alpaca and Suffolk ewe. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2004;16:64–6.
- Venter M, Human S, van Niekerk S, Williams J, van Eeden C, Freeman F. Fatal neurologic disease and abortion in mare infected with lineage 1 West Nile virus, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1534–6.
- Blitvich BJ, Marlenee NL, Hall RA, Calisher CH, Bowen RA, Roehrig JT, et al. Epitope-blocking enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays for the detection of serum antibodies to west nile virus in multiple avian species. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:1041–7.
- Ksiazek TG, West CP, Rollin PE, Jahrling PB, Peters CJ. ELISA for the detection of antibodies to Ebola viruses. J Infect Dis. 1999;179(Suppl 1):S192–8.
- Zaayman D, Venter M. West Nile virus neurologic disease in humans, South Africa, September 2008-may 2009. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:2051–4.
Page created: November 18, 2019
Page updated: November 18, 2019
Page reviewed: November 18, 2019
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.