Volume 25, Number 8—August 2019
Marburgvirus in Egyptian Fruit Bats, Zambia
- Amarasinghe GK, Aréchiga Ceballos NG, Banyard AC, Basler CF, Bavari S, Bennett AJ, et al. Taxonomy of the order Mononegavirales: update 2018. Arch Virol. 2018;163:2283–94.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbreaks chronology: Marburg hemorrhagic fever. 2019 [cited 2019 Jan 29]. https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/marburg/outbreaks/chronology.html
- Changula K, Kajihara M, Mweene AS, Takada A. Ebola and Marburg virus diseases in Africa: increased risk of outbreaks in previously unaffected areas? Microbiol Immunol. 2014;58:483–91.
- Swanepoel R, Smit SB, Rollin PE, Formenty P, Leman PA, Kemp A, et al.; International Scientific and Technical Committee for Marburg Hemorrhagic Fever Control in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Studies of reservoir hosts for Marburg virus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1847–51.
- Towner JS, Amman BR, Sealy TK, Carroll SA, Comer JA, Kemp A, et al. Isolation of genetically diverse Marburg viruses from Egyptian fruit bats. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:
- Amman BR, Carroll SA, Reed ZD, Sealy TK, Balinandi S, Swanepoel R, et al. Seasonal pulses of Marburg virus circulation in juvenile Rousettus aegyptiacus bats coincide with periods of increased risk of human infection. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:
- AfricanBats NPC, African Chiroptera Project. African Chiroptera Report 2018. Pretoria (South Africa): AfricanBats NPC; 2018.
- Changula K, Kajihara M, Mori-Kajihara A, Eto Y, Miyamoto H, Yoshida R, et al. Seroprevalence of filovirus infection of Rousettus aegyptiacus bats in Zambia. J Infect Dis. 2018;218(suppl5):S312–7.
- Ogawa H, Miyamoto H, Ebihara H, Ito K, Morikawa S, Feldmann H, et al. Detection of all known filovirus species by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction using a primer set specific for the viral nucleoprotein gene. J Virol Methods. 2011;171:310–3.
- Pawęska JT, Jansen van Vuren P, Kemp A, Storm N, Grobbelaar AA, Wiley MR, et al. Marburg virus infection in Egyptian rousette bats, South Africa, 2013–2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018;24:1134–7.
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol Biol Evol. 2016;33:1870–4.
- Schuh AJ, Amman BR, Jones ME, Sealy TK, Uebelhoer LS, Spengler JR, et al. Modelling filovirus maintenance in nature by experimental transmission of Marburg virus between Egyptian rousette bats. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14446.
- Hayman DTS. Biannual birth pulses allow filoviruses to persist in bat populations. Proc Biol Sci. 2015;282:20142591.
- Schindell BG, Webb AL, Kindrachuk J. Persistence and sexual transmission of filoviruses. Viruses. 2018;10:
Page created: July 17, 2019
Page updated: July 17, 2019
Page reviewed: July 17, 2019
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.