Volume 26, Number 8—August 2020
Genotypic Heterogeneity of Orientia tsutsugamushi in Scrub Typhus Patients and Thrombocytopenia Syndrome Co-infection, Myanmar
- Kim G, Ha NY, Min CK, Kim HI, Yen NTH, Lee KH, et al. Diversification of Orientia tsutsugamushi genotypes by intragenic recombination and their potential expansion in endemic areas. PLOS Neglect Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005408.
- Davis GE, Austrian RC, Bell EJ. Observations on tsutsugamushi disease (scrub typhus) in Assam and Burma: the recovery of strains of Rickettsia orientalis. Am J Hyg. 1947;46:268–86.
- Parola P, Miller RS, McDaniel P, Telford SR III, Rolain JM, Wongsrichanalai C, et al. Emerging rickettsioses of the Thai-Myanmar border. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:592–5.
- Brummaier T, Kittitrakul C, Choovichian V, Lawpoolsri S, Namaik-Larp C, Wattanagoon Y. Clinical manifestations and treatment outcomes of scrub typhus in a rural health care facility on the Thailand-Myanmar border. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2017;11:407–13.
- Liu S, Chai C, Wang C, Amer S, Lv H, He H, et al. Systematic review of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome: virology, epidemiology, and clinical characteristics. Rev Med Virol. 2014;24:90–102.
- Hu J, Shi C, Li Z, Guo X, Qian Y, Tan W, et al. A cluster of cases of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus infection in China, 1996: A retrospective serological study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018;12:
- Thi Hai Yen N, Kim C, Jeong S, Jeon K, Choi H, Ro HJ, et al. Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus infection or mixed infection with scrub typhus in South Korea in 2000–2003. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2019;101:1096–9.
- Takahashi T, Maeda K, Suzuki T, Ishido A, Shigeoka T, Tominaga T, et al. The first identification and retrospective study of Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome in Japan. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:816–27.
- Tran XC, Yun Y, Van An L, Kim SH, Thao NTP, Man PKC, et al. Endemic severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome, Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis. 2019;25:1029–31.
- Ra SH, Kim JY, Cha HH, Kwon JS, Lee HJ, Jeon NY, et al. Coinfection of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome and scrub typhus in patients with tick-borne illness. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2019;101:1259–62.
- Watthanaworawit W, Turner P, Turner C, Tanganuchitcharnchai A, Jintaworn S, Hanboonkunupakarn B, et al. Diagnostic accuracy assessment of immunochromatographic tests for the rapid detection of antibodies against Orientia tsutsugamushi using paired acute and convalescent specimens. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015;93:1168–71.
- Paris DH, Dumler JS. State of the art of diagnosis of rickettsial diseases: the use of blood specimens for diagnosis of scrub typhus, spotted fever group rickettsiosis, and murine typhus. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2016;29:433–9.
- Yoo JR, Heo ST, Kang JH, Park D, Kim JS, Bae JH, et al. Mixed infection with severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus and two genotypes of scrub typhus in a patient, South Korea, 2017. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018;99:287–90.
- Kim DM, Lee YM, Back JH, Yang TY, Lee JH, Song HJ, et al. A serosurvey of Orientia tsutsugamushi from patients with scrub typhus. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010;16:447–51.
- Yun SM, Park SJ, Kim YI, Park SW, Yu MA, Kwon HI, et al. Genetic and pathogenic diversity of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus (SFTSV) in South Korea. JCI Insight. 2020;5:e129531;5:
1These first authors contributed equally to this article.
2These authors were co–principal investigators.
Page created: April 18, 2020
Page updated: July 19, 2020
Page reviewed: July 19, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.