Volume 26, Number 8—August 2020
Evaluating the Effectiveness of Social Distancing Interventions to Delay or Flatten the Epidemic Curve of Coronavirus Disease
|1/σ||Mean latent period||5.16 days||4.5–5.8 days||(14)|
|1/γ||Mean infectious period||5.02 days||3–9 days||†|
|*NA, not applicable. †Q. Bi, unpub. data, https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.03.20028423v3.|
- Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1199–207.
- World Health Organization. WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 11 March 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020
- Johns Hopkins University and Medicine. Coronavirus resource center. COVID-19 global cases [cited 2020 Apr 2]. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
- Holshue ML, DeBolt C, Lindquist S, Lofy KH, Wiesman J, Bruce H, et al.; Washington State 2019-nCoV Case Investigation Team. Washington State 2019-nCoV Case Investigation Team. First case of 2019 novel coronavirus in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:929–36.
- Snohomoish County Washington. Local declaration of emergency Snohomish County 2020 Mar 4 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx
- Washington State Department of Health. 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus
- Proclamation by the governor: amending proclamations 20–05 and 20–06; 20–07. Washington, USA. 2020 Mar 11 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/20-07%20Coronavirus%20%28tmp%29.pdf
- Office of the Governor. Washington State. Inslee announces school closures in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. 2020 Mar 12 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-announces-school-closures-king-snohomish-and-pierce%C2%A0counties
- Proclamation by the governor: amending proclamations 20–05; 20–25, stay home–stay healthy. Washington, USA. 2020 Mar 23 [cited 2020 Apr 2]. https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/proclamations/20-25%20Coronovirus%20Stay%20Safe-Stay%20Healthy%20%28tmp%29%20%28002%29.pdf
- CBS News. Coronavirus updates from March 20, 2020 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 20]. https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-latest-news-2020-03-20
- Schnirring L. France orders lockdown to slow COVID-19 spread. CIDRAP News 2020 Mar 16. Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy [cited 2020 Mar 16]. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/france-orders-lockdown-slow-covid-19-spread
- Minder R, Peltier E. Spain, on lockdown, weighs liberties against containing coronavirus. The New York Times. 2020 Mar 15 [cited 2020 Mar 16]. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/world/europe/spain-coronavirus.html
- United States Census Bureau. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue metro area, Washington [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://data.census.gov/cedsci
- Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med. 2020; Epub ahead of print.
- Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72,314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 2020;323:1239–42.
- Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Emergency Response Epidemiology Team. Vital surveillances: the epidemiological characteristics of an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus diseases (COVID-19)–China, 2020. China CDC Wkly. 2020;2:113–22 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51
- Li R, Pei S, Chen B, Song Y, Zhang T, Yang W, et al. Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2). Science. 2020;
eabb3221; Epub ahead of print.
- Ferguson NM, Laydon D, Nedjati-Gilani G, Imai N, Ainslie K, Baguelin M, et al. Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand. Imperial College London. 2020 Mar 16 [cited 2020 Mar 17].
- Wallinga J, Teunis P, Kretzschmar M. Using data on social contacts to estimate age-specific transmission parameters for respiratory-spread infectious agents. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;164:936–44.
- Bedford T. Cryptic transmission of novel coronavirus revealed by genomic epidemiology. Bedford Lab. 2020 Mar 2 [cited 2020 Mar 15]. https://bedford.io/blog
- Office of the Governor. Washington State. Inslee announces statewide shutdown of restaurants, bars and expanded social gathering limits. 2020 Mar 16 [cited 2020 Mar 18]. https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-announces-statewide-shutdown-restaurants-bars-and-expanded-social-gathering-limits
- Ellyat H. No lockdown here: Sweden defends its more relaxed coronavirus strategy. CNBC. 2020 Mar 30 [cited 2020 Apr 2]. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/sweden-coronavirus-approach-is-very-different-from-the-rest-of-europe.html
- Qiu H, Wu J, Hong L, Luo Y, Song Q, Chen D. Clinical and epidemiological features of 36 children with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Zhejiang, China: an observational cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;
S1473-3099(20)30198-5; Epub ahead of print.
- Lempel H, Hammond RA, Epstein JM. Costs of school closure. The Brookings Institution. 2009 Sep 30 [cited 2020 Apr 2]. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/0930_school_closure_presentation.pdf
- Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z, et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2020;395:1054–62.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim pre-pandemic planning guidance: community strategy for pandemic influenza mitigation in the United States: early, targeted, layered use of nonpharmaceutical interventions. Atlanta: The Centers; 2007. https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11425
- Hasell J, Ortiz-Ospina E, Mathieu E, Ritchie H, Beltekian D, Roser M. To understand the global pandemic, we need global testing—the Our World in Data COVID-19 Testing dataset, How many tests for COVID-19 are being performed around the world? Our World In Data [cited 2020 Mar 16]. https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing
- Zhao J, Yuan Q, Wang H, Liu W, Liao X, Su Y, et al. Antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 in patients of novel coronavirus disease 2019. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;
ciaa344; Epub ahead of print.
- Klein D, Hagedorn B, Kerr C, Hu H, Bedford T, Famulare M, et al. Working paper–model-based estimates of COVID-19 burden in King and Snohomish counties through April 7, 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 16]. https://institutefordiseasemodeling.github.io/COVID-public/reports/Working%20paper%20–%20model-based%20estimates%20of%20COVID-19%20burden%20in%20King%20and%20Snohomish%20counties%20through%20April%207.pdf
- Prem K, Liu Y, Russell TW, Kucharski AJ, Eggo RM, Davies N, et al.; Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases COVID-19 Working Group. The effect of control strategies to reduce social mixing on outcomes of the COVID-19 epidemic in Wuhan, China: a modelling study. Lancet Public Health. 2020;
S2468-2667(20)30073-6; [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferretti L, Wymant C, Kendall M, Zhao L, Nurtay A, Abeler-Dörner L, et al. Quantifying SARS-CoV-2 transmission suggests epidemic control with digital contact tracing. Science. 2020;
eabb6936; Epub ahead of print.
- World Health Organization. WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19–16 March 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 18]. https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---16-march-2020
- Weiss P, Murdoch DR. Clinical course and mortality risk of severe COVID-19. Lancet. 2020;395:1014–5.
- Wölfel R, Corman VM, Guggemos W, Seilmaier M, Zange S, Müller MA, et al. Virological assessment of hospitalized patients with COVID-2019. Nature. 2020; Epub ahead of print.
- Wu JT, Leung K, Leung GM. Nowcasting and forecasting the potential domestic and international spread of the 2019-nCoV outbreak originating in Wuhan, China: a modelling study. Lancet. 2020;395:689–97.
- Kraemer MUG, Yang C-H, Gutierrez B, Wu C-H, Klein B, Pigott DM, et al.; Open COVID-19 Data Working Group. The effect of human mobility and control measures on the COVID-19 epidemic in China. Science. 2020;
eabb4218; Epub ahead of print.
- Flaxman S, Mishra S, Gandy A, Unwin HJT, Coupland H, Mellan TA, et al. Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. Report 13: estimating the number of infections and the impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 in 11 European countries. 2020 Mar 30. [cited 2020 Mar 20]. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf
- Tuite AR, Fisman DN, Greer AL. Mathematical modelling of COVID-19 transmission and mitigation strategies in the population of Ontario, Canada. CMAJ. 2020 Apr 8 [Epub ahead of print].