Volume 27, Number 11—November 2021
Policy Review and Modeling Analysis of Mitigation Measures for Coronavirus Disease Epidemic Control, Health System, and Disease Burden, South Korea
- World Health Organization. WHO coronavirus disease (COVID-19) dashboard, 2021 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. https://covid19.who.int
- Flaxman S, Mishra S, Gandy A, Unwin HJT, Mellan TA, Coupland H, et al.; Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. Estimating the effects of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 in Europe. Nature. 2020;584:257–61.
- Hsiang S, Allen D, Annan-Phan S, Bell K, Bolliger I, Chong T, et al. The effect of large-scale anti-contagion policies on the COVID-19 pandemic. Nature. 2020;584:262–7.
- Wise J. Covid-19: Risk of second wave is very real, say researchers. BMJ. 2020;369:m2294.
- Daegu Disaster Management Headquarters. COVID-19 daily briefing in Daegu metropolitan City, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 30]. https://www.daegu.go.kr/dgcontent/index.do?menu_id=00936590
- Korea Central Emergency Medical Central. Comprehensive situation dashboard in National Emergency Department Information System 2020, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. http://portal.nemc.or.kr/medi_info/dashboards/dash_total_emer_org_popup_for_egen.do
- Song JY, Yun JG, Noh JY, Cheong HJ, Kim WJ. COVID-19 in South Korea: challenges of subclinical manifestations. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1858–9.
- World Health Organization. COVID19 strategic preparedness and response plan: operational planning guidelines to support country preparedness and response, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://www.who.int /publications/m/item/covid-19-strategic-preparedness -and-response-plan-operational-planning-guideline
- Central Department of Mental Health. Cases in Korea by city/province, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/bdBoardList.do?brdId=16&brdGubun=162&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=&gubun=
- Thakkar N, Klein D, Selvaraj P, Famulare M. COVID in New York City: a model-based perspective, 2020 [cited 2021 Jun 26]. https://iazpvnewgrp01.blob.core.windows.net/source/archived/COVID_Modeling_NYC.pdf
- Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172:577–82.
- Kim ES, Chin BS, Kang CK, Kim NJ, Kang YM, Choi JP, et al.; Korea National Committee for Clinical Management of COVID-19. Clinical course and outcomes of patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection: a preliminary report of the first 28 patients from the Korean cohort study on COVID-19. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Kim M, Kweon S, Lee JH, Baek S, Jeon B-H, Joo H, et al. Weekly report on the COVID-19 situation in the Republic of Korea (as of March 28, 2020). Public Health Wkly Rep. 2020;13:800–6.
- COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center, Epidemiology and Case Management Team, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus disease-19: the first 7,755 cases in the Republic of Korea. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2020;11:85–90.
- Jang SY, Seon JY, Yoon S-J, Park S-Y, Lee S-H, Oh I-H. Comorbidities and factors determining medical expenses and length of stay for admitted COVID-19 patients in Korea. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2021;14:2021–33.
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Facility and equipment status. Healthcare Bigdata Hub, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 3]. http://opendata.hira.or.kr/op/opc/olapInfraEquipmentStatInfo.do#none
- Choi MH, Ahn H, Ryu HS, Kim BJ, Jang J, Jung M, et al. Clinical characteristics and disease progression in early-stage COVID-19 patients in South Korea. J Clin Med. 2020;9:
- Kang E, Lee SY, Jung H, Kim MS, Cho B, Kim YS. Operating protocols of a community treatment center for isolation of patients with coronavirus disease, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2329–37.
- Liang M, Gao L, Cheng C, Zhou Q, Uy JP, Heiner K, et al. Efficacy of face mask in preventing respiratory virus transmission: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020;36:
- Chu DK, Akl EA, Duda S, Solo K, Yaacoub S, Schünemann HJ, et al.; COVID-19 Systematic Urgent Review Group Effort (SURGE) study authors. Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020;395:1973–87.
- Korean Society of Infectious Diseases; Korean Society of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. Korean Society of Epidemiology; Korean Society for Antimicrobial Therapy; Korean Society for Healthcare-Associated Infection Control and Prevention; Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Report on the epidemiological features of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in the Republic of Korea from January 19 to March 2, 2020. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Park SY, Kim YM, Yi S, Lee S, Na BJ, Kim CB, et al. Coronavirus disease outbreak in call center, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1666–70.
- COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center. Epidemiology & Case Management Team, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Contact transmission of COVID-19 in South Korea: novel investigation techniques for tracing contacts. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2020;11:60–3.
- Park YJ, Choe YJ, Park O, Park SY, Kim YM, Kim J, et al.; COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center, Epidemiology and Case Management Team. Contact tracing during coronavirus disease outbreak, South Korea, 2020. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2465–8.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Republic of Korea. COVID-19 response: Korean government’s response system (as of February 25, 2020), 2020 [cited 2021 Apr 15]. http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/baroView.do?brdId=11&brdGubun=111&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=&gubun=
- Government of the Republic of Korea. Ministry of Foreign Affairs. All about Korea's response to COVID-19, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://www.mofa.go.kr/eng/brd/m_22591/view.do?seq=35&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=&multi_itm_seq=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&page=1&titleNm=
- Kim YJ, Sung H, Ki CS, Hur M. COVID-19 testing in South Korea: current status and the need for faster diagnostics. Ann Lab Med. 2020;40:349–50.
- Fulop T, Pawelec G, Castle S, Loeb M. Immunosenescence and vaccination in nursing home residents. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:443–8.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Sukumar SR, Joseph CL. Infectious disease outbreaks in nursing homes: an unappreciated hazard for frail elderly persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:870–6.
- Korea Center for Disease Control. Coronavirus disease-19, Republic of Korea: enhanced social distancing campaign, 2020 [cited 2021 Apr 15]. https://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/infoBoardView.do?brdId=14&brdGubun=141&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=1551&contSeq=1551&board_id=&gubun=
- Park IN, Yum HK. Stepwise strategy of social distancing in Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Lim S, Yoon HI, Song KH, Kim ES, Kim HB. Face masks and containment of COVID-19: experience from South Korea. J Hosp Infect. 2020;106:206–7.
- Lee M, You M. Psychological and behavioral responses in South Korea during the early tages of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17:
- Gallup International Association. Coronavirus 19 prevention behavior and related perceptions, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/308126/roundup-gallup-covid-coverage.aspx
- Kim SW, Lee KS, Kim K, Lee JJ, Kim JY; Daegu Medical Association. A brief telephone severity scoring system and therapeutic living centers solved acute hospital-bed shortage during the COVID-19 outbreak in Daegu, Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). OECD Health Statistics 2019, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. https://www.oecd.org/health/health-data.htm
- Lee SY, Choi SH, Park JE, Hwang S, Kwon KT. Crucial role of temporary airborne infection isolation rooms in an intensive care unit: containing the COVID-19 outbreak in South Korea. Crit Care. 2020;24:238.
- Lee Y, Lim J. Korean Goverment says, “Transferring critially ill patients with COVID-19 to dedicated non-ICU beds as their conditions improve... especially to a single-occupancy room” [in Korean]. Newsis. 2020 Dec 15 [cited 2021 Jun 28]. https://www.newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20201215_0001270622
- Kang CR, Lee JY, Park Y, Huh IS, Ham HJ, Han JK, et al.; Seoul Metropolitan Government COVID-19 Rapid Response Team (SCoRR Team). (SCoRR Team). Coronavirus disease exposure and spread from nightclubs, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2499–501.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidance on developing a COVID-19 case investigation & contact tracing plan: overview, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 5]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/overview.html