Volume 27, Number 11—November 2021
Policy Review and Modeling Analysis of Mitigation Measures for Coronavirus Disease Epidemic Control, Health System, and Disease Burden, South Korea
|Hospitalizations for all confirmed cases by disease severity before March 2, %||49.4||(5)|
|Asymptomatic or mild symptomatic cases||17.0||(5)|
|Mild symptomatic cases||22.4||(5)|
|Severely ill cases||6.4||(5)|
|Critically ill cases
|Hospitalizations for all confirmed cases by disease severity after March 2, %||82.6||(5,9)|
|Asymptomatic or mild symptomatic cases (admitted to CTCs)||38.2||(5,9)|
|Asymptomatic or mild symptomatic cases (admitted to hospitals)||12.0||(5,9)|
|Mild symptomatic cases||22.4||(5,9)|
|Severe symptomatic cases||6.4||(5,9)|
|Critically ill cases
|Proportion admitted to the ICU among hospitalized patients
|Time to outcome, d|
|Time to symptom onsets||5.1||4.5‒5.8||(11)|
|Time from symptom onset to hospitalization||4.0||0‒11||(12‒14)|
|Time from symptom onset to ICU hospitalization||7.0||6‒8||(12‒14)|
|Time from symptom onset to death||17.0||0‒27||(14)|
|Length of stay at CTC||16.0||7‒20||(9,18)|
|Length of stays at hospital without ICU admission||20.9||7.2‒34.6||(15‒17)|
|ICU length of stay among survivors||30.0||11.6‒47.2||(5,15,16)|
|ICU length of stay among nonsurvivors
|Case-fatality rate for critically ill patients, %||60.0||(5,9)|
*COVID-19, coronavirus disease; CTC, community treatment center; ICU, intensive care unit. †Range was used for sensitivity analysis where available. For parameters that were calculated as proportions, baseline values were used as fixed values.
- World Health Organization. WHO coronavirus disease (COVID-19) dashboard, 2021 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. https://covid19.who.int
- Flaxman S, Mishra S, Gandy A, Unwin HJT, Mellan TA, Coupland H, et al.; Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. Estimating the effects of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 in Europe. Nature. 2020;584:257–61.
- Hsiang S, Allen D, Annan-Phan S, Bell K, Bolliger I, Chong T, et al. The effect of large-scale anti-contagion policies on the COVID-19 pandemic. Nature. 2020;584:262–7.
- Wise J. Covid-19: Risk of second wave is very real, say researchers. BMJ. 2020;369:m2294.
- Daegu Disaster Management Headquarters. COVID-19 daily briefing in Daegu metropolitan City, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 30]. https://www.daegu.go.kr/dgcontent/index.do?menu_id=00936590
- Korea Central Emergency Medical Central. Comprehensive situation dashboard in National Emergency Department Information System 2020, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. http://portal.nemc.or.kr/medi_info/dashboards/dash_total_emer_org_popup_for_egen.do
- Song JY, Yun JG, Noh JY, Cheong HJ, Kim WJ. COVID-19 in South Korea: challenges of subclinical manifestations. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1858–9.
- World Health Organization. COVID19 strategic preparedness and response plan: operational planning guidelines to support country preparedness and response, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://www.who.int /publications/m/item/covid-19-strategic-preparedness -and-response-plan-operational-planning-guideline
- Central Department of Mental Health. Cases in Korea by city/province, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/bdBoardList.do?brdId=16&brdGubun=162&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=&gubun=
- Thakkar N, Klein D, Selvaraj P, Famulare M. COVID in New York City: a model-based perspective, 2020 [cited 2021 Jun 26]. https://iazpvnewgrp01.blob.core.windows.net/source/archived/COVID_Modeling_NYC.pdf
- Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q, Jones FK, Zheng Q, Meredith HR, et al. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med. 2020;172:577–82.
- Kim ES, Chin BS, Kang CK, Kim NJ, Kang YM, Choi JP, et al.; Korea National Committee for Clinical Management of COVID-19. Clinical course and outcomes of patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection: a preliminary report of the first 28 patients from the Korean cohort study on COVID-19. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Kim M, Kweon S, Lee JH, Baek S, Jeon B-H, Joo H, et al. Weekly report on the COVID-19 situation in the Republic of Korea (as of March 28, 2020). Public Health Wkly Rep. 2020;13:800–6.
- COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center, Epidemiology and Case Management Team, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus disease-19: the first 7,755 cases in the Republic of Korea. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2020;11:85–90.
- Jang SY, Seon JY, Yoon S-J, Park S-Y, Lee S-H, Oh I-H. Comorbidities and factors determining medical expenses and length of stay for admitted COVID-19 patients in Korea. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2021;14:2021–33.
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Facility and equipment status. Healthcare Bigdata Hub, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 3]. http://opendata.hira.or.kr/op/opc/olapInfraEquipmentStatInfo.do#none
- Choi MH, Ahn H, Ryu HS, Kim BJ, Jang J, Jung M, et al. Clinical characteristics and disease progression in early-stage COVID-19 patients in South Korea. J Clin Med. 2020;9:
- Kang E, Lee SY, Jung H, Kim MS, Cho B, Kim YS. Operating protocols of a community treatment center for isolation of patients with coronavirus disease, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2329–37.
- Liang M, Gao L, Cheng C, Zhou Q, Uy JP, Heiner K, et al. Efficacy of face mask in preventing respiratory virus transmission: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020;36:
- Chu DK, Akl EA, Duda S, Solo K, Yaacoub S, Schünemann HJ, et al.; COVID-19 Systematic Urgent Review Group Effort (SURGE) study authors. Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020;395:1973–87.
- Korean Society of Infectious Diseases; Korean Society of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. Korean Society of Epidemiology; Korean Society for Antimicrobial Therapy; Korean Society for Healthcare-Associated Infection Control and Prevention; Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Report on the epidemiological features of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in the Republic of Korea from January 19 to March 2, 2020. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Park SY, Kim YM, Yi S, Lee S, Na BJ, Kim CB, et al. Coronavirus disease outbreak in call center, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1666–70.
- COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center. Epidemiology & Case Management Team, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Contact transmission of COVID-19 in South Korea: novel investigation techniques for tracing contacts. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2020;11:60–3.
- Park YJ, Choe YJ, Park O, Park SY, Kim YM, Kim J, et al.; COVID-19 National Emergency Response Center, Epidemiology and Case Management Team. Contact tracing during coronavirus disease outbreak, South Korea, 2020. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2465–8.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Republic of Korea. COVID-19 response: Korean government’s response system (as of February 25, 2020), 2020 [cited 2021 Apr 15]. http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/baroView.do?brdId=11&brdGubun=111&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=&gubun=
- Government of the Republic of Korea. Ministry of Foreign Affairs. All about Korea's response to COVID-19, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://www.mofa.go.kr/eng/brd/m_22591/view.do?seq=35&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=&multi_itm_seq=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&page=1&titleNm=
- Kim YJ, Sung H, Ki CS, Hur M. COVID-19 testing in South Korea: current status and the need for faster diagnostics. Ann Lab Med. 2020;40:349–50.
- Fulop T, Pawelec G, Castle S, Loeb M. Immunosenescence and vaccination in nursing home residents. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:443–8.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Sukumar SR, Joseph CL. Infectious disease outbreaks in nursing homes: an unappreciated hazard for frail elderly persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:870–6.
- Korea Center for Disease Control. Coronavirus disease-19, Republic of Korea: enhanced social distancing campaign, 2020 [cited 2021 Apr 15]. https://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/infoBoardView.do?brdId=14&brdGubun=141&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=1551&contSeq=1551&board_id=&gubun=
- Park IN, Yum HK. Stepwise strategy of social distancing in Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Lim S, Yoon HI, Song KH, Kim ES, Kim HB. Face masks and containment of COVID-19: experience from South Korea. J Hosp Infect. 2020;106:206–7.
- Lee M, You M. Psychological and behavioral responses in South Korea during the early tages of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17:
- Gallup International Association. Coronavirus 19 prevention behavior and related perceptions, 2020 [cited 2021 Jul 26]. https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/308126/roundup-gallup-covid-coverage.aspx
- Kim SW, Lee KS, Kim K, Lee JJ, Kim JY; Daegu Medical Association. A brief telephone severity scoring system and therapeutic living centers solved acute hospital-bed shortage during the COVID-19 outbreak in Daegu, Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2020;35:
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). OECD Health Statistics 2019, 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 12]. https://www.oecd.org/health/health-data.htm
- Lee SY, Choi SH, Park JE, Hwang S, Kwon KT. Crucial role of temporary airborne infection isolation rooms in an intensive care unit: containing the COVID-19 outbreak in South Korea. Crit Care. 2020;24:238.
- Lee Y, Lim J. Korean Goverment says, “Transferring critially ill patients with COVID-19 to dedicated non-ICU beds as their conditions improve... especially to a single-occupancy room” [in Korean]. Newsis. 2020 Dec 15 [cited 2021 Jun 28]. https://www.newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20201215_0001270622
- Kang CR, Lee JY, Park Y, Huh IS, Ham HJ, Han JK, et al.; Seoul Metropolitan Government COVID-19 Rapid Response Team (SCoRR Team). (SCoRR Team). Coronavirus disease exposure and spread from nightclubs, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:2499–501.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidance on developing a COVID-19 case investigation & contact tracing plan: overview, 2020 [cited 2020 Jun 5]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/overview.html
Page created: July 27, 2021
Page updated: October 19, 2021
Page reviewed: October 19, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.