Volume 27, Number 12—December 2021
Potential Mosquito Vectors for Shuni Virus, South Africa, 2014–2018
- Hughes HR, Adkins S, Alkhovskiy S, Beer M, Blair C, Calisher CH, et al.; Ictv Report Consortium. ICTV virus taxonomy profile: Peribunyaviridae. J Gen Virol. 2020;101:1–2.
- Causey OR, Kemp GE, Causey CE, Lee VH. Isolations of Simbu-group viruses in Ibadan, Nigeria 1964-69, including the new types Sango, Shamonda, Sabo and Shuni. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1972;66:357–62.
- Golender N, Brenner J, Valdman M, Khinich Y, Bumbarov V, Panshin A, et al. Malformations caused by Shuni virus in ruminants, Israel, 2014–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:2267–8.
- Steyn J, Motlou P, van Eeden C, Pretorius M, Stivaktas VI, Williams J, et al. Shuni virus in wildlife and non-equine domestic animals in South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1521–5.
- van Eeden C, Williams JH, Gerdes TG, van Wilpe E, Viljoen A, Swanepoel R, et al. Shuni virus as cause of neurologic disease in horses. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:318–21.
- Motlou T, Venter M. Shuni virus in cases of neurological diseases in humans, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;27:567–9.
- Möhlmann TWR, Oymans J, Wichgers Schreur PJ, Koenraadt CJM, Kortekaas J, Vogels CBF. Vector competence of biting midges and mosquitoes for Shuni virus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018;12:
- Gorsich EE, Beechler BR, van Bodegom PM, Govender D, Guarido MM, Venter M, et al. A comparative assessment of adult mosquito trapping methods to estimate spatial patterns of abundance and community composition in southern Africa. Parasit Vectors. 2019;12:462.
- Van Eeden C, Zaayman D, Venter M. A sensitive nested real-time RT-PCR for the detection of Shuni virus. J Virol Methods. 2014;195:100–5.
- Bowen MD, Trappier SG, Sanchez AJ, Meyer RF, Goldsmith CS, Zaki SR, et al.; RVF Task Force. A reassortant bunyavirus isolated from acute hemorrhagic fever cases in Kenya and Somalia. Virology. 2001;291:185–90.
- Folmer O, Black M, Hoeh W, Lutz R, Vrijenhoek R. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Mol Mar Biol Biotechnol. 1994;3:294–9.
- Guarido MM, Riddin MA, Johnson T, Braack LEO, Schrama M, Gorsich EE, et al. Aedes species (Diptera: Culicidae) ecological and host feeding patterns in the north-eastern parts of South Africa, 2014-2018. Parasit Vectors. 2021;14:339.
- Sharp BL, Appleton CC, Thompson DL, Meenehan G. Anthropophilic mosquitoes at Richards Bay, Natal, and arbovirus antibodies in human residents. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1987;81:197–201.
- Muspratt J. The Stegomyia mosquitoes of South Africa and some neighbouring territories. Memoirs of the Entomological Society of Southern Africa. 1956;4:1–138.
- Snyman J, Venter GJ, Venter M. An investigation of Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) as potential vectors of medically and veterinary important arboviruses in South Africa. Viruses. 2021;13:1978.
Page created: October 06, 2021
Page updated: November 19, 2021
Page reviewed: November 19, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.