Volume 4, Number 1—March 1998
Bayou Virus-Associated Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome in Eastern Texas: Identification of the Rice Rat, Oryzomys palustris, as Reservoir Host
- Schmaljohn C, Hjelle B. Hantaviruses: a global disease problem. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:95–104.
- Song J-W, Baek L-J, Gajdusek DC, Yanagihara R, Gavrilovskaya I, Luft BJ, Isolation of pathogenic hantavirus from white footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus). Lancet. 1994;344:1637.
- Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Elliott LH, Ravkov EV, Martin ML, Morzunov S, Isolation of Black Creek Canal virus, a new hantavirus from Sigmodon hispidus in Florida. J Med Virol. 1995;46:35–9.
- Morzunov SP, Feldmann H, Spiropoulou CF, Semenova VA, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, A newly recognized virus associated with a fatal case of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Louisiana. J Virol. 1995;69:1980–3.
- Khan AS, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, Zaki SR, Kohn MA, Nawas SR, Fatal illness associated with a new hantavirus in Louisiana. J Med Virol. 1995;46:281–6.
- Hjelle B, Goade D, Torrez-Martinez N, Lang-Williams M, Kim J, Harris RL, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, renal insufficiency and myositis associated with infection by Bayou hantavirus. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;23:495–500.
- Torrez-Martinez N, Hjelle B. Enzootic of Bayou hantavirus in rice rats (Oryzomys palustris) in 1983. Lancet. 1995;346:780–1.
- Ksiazek TG, Peters CJ, Rollin PE, Zaki S, Nichol S, Spiropoulou C, Identification of a new North American hantavirus that causes acute pulmonary insufficiency. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1995;52:117–23.
- Jenison S, Yamada T, Morris C, Anderson B, Torrez-Martinez N, Keller N, Characterization of human antibody responses to Four Corners hantavirus infections among patients with hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. J Virol. 1994;68:3000–6.
- Rawlings JA, Torrez-Martinez N, Neill SU, Moore GM, Hicks BN, Pichuantes S, Cocirculation of multiple hantaviruses in Texas, with characterization of the S genome of a previously-undescribed virus of cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1996;55:672–9.
- Hjelle B, Jenison S, Torrez-Martinez N, Herring B, Quan S, Polito A, Rapid and specific detection of Sin Nombre virus antibodies in patients with hantavirus pulmonary syndrome by a strip immunoblot assay suitable for field diagnosis. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:600–8.
- Swofford DL. PAUP: phylogenetic analysis using parsimony [computer program]. Version 3.1.1. Champaign (IL): Illinois Natural History Survey;1991.
- Nolte KB, Feddersen RM, Foucar K, Zaki SR, Koster FT, Madar D, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in the United States: a pathological description of a disease caused by a new agent. Hum Pathol. 1995;26:110–20.
- Hjelle B, Torrez-Martinez N, Koster FT, Jay M, Ascher MS, Brown T, Epidemiologic linkage of rodent and human hantavirus genomic sequences in case investigations of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:781–6.
- Bharadwaj M, Botten J, Torrez-Martinez N, Hjelle B. Rio Mamoré virus: genetic characteristics of a newly-recognized hantavirus of the pygmy rice rat Oligoryzomys microtis from Bolivia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997. In press.
- Duchin JS, Koster FT, Peters CJ, Simpson GL, Tempest B, Zaki SR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: a clinical description of 17 patients with a newly recognized disease. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:949–55.
- Khan AS, Gaviria JM, Rollin PE, Hlady WG, Ksiazek TG, Armstrong LR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Florida: association with the newly identified Black Creek Canal virus. Am J Med. 1996;100:46–8.
Page created: December 14, 2010
Page updated: December 14, 2010
Page reviewed: December 14, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.