Volume 4, Number 2—June 1998
Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli
|52||Nursery; Nis, Serbia, 1995||19 infants||Watery diarrhea|
|56||Conference Center, UK, 1994||51 adults||Watery diarrhea for 3-7 days|
|56||Hotel, UK, 1994||53 adults||Watery diarrhea, mean duration 68 hr|
|59||Village in southern India, 1996||20 children and adults||Watery diarrhea, mean duration 11 days|
|12||Nursery, Mexico City||Not reported||Severe diarrhea; 5 deaths|
|54||16 schools, Gifu, Japan||2,697 school children||Diarrhea; some cases protracted|
- Lior H. Classification of Escherichia coli. In: Gyles CL, editor. Escherichia coli in domestic animals and humans. Wallingford, United Kingdom: CAB International 1996:31-72.
- Scaletsky ICA, Silva MLM, Trabulsi LR. Distinctive patterns of adherence of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli to HeLa cells. Infect Immun. 1984;45:534–6.
- Nataro JP, Scaletsky IC, Kaper JB. Levine. Plasmid-mediated factors conferring diffuse and localized adherence of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. MM, Trabulsi LR. Infect Immun. 1985;48:378–83.
- Nataro JP, Kaper JB, Robins Browne R, Prado V, Vial P, Levine MM. Patterns of adherence of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli to HEp-2 cells. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1987;6:829–31.
- Mathewson JJ, Johnson PC, DuPont HL, Morgan DR, Thornton SA, Wood LV, A newly recognized cause of traveler's diarrhea: enteroadherent Escherichia coli. J Infect Dis. 1985;151:471–5.
- Mathewson JJ, Johnson PC, DuPont HL. Pathogenicity of enteroadherent Escherichia coli in adult volunteers. J Infect Dis. 1986;154:524–7.
- Vial PA, Robins Browne R, Lior H, Prado V, Kaper JB, Nataro JP, Characterization of enteroadherent-aggregative Escherichia coli, a putative agent of diarrheal disease. J Infect Dis. 1988;158:70–9.
- Tzipori S, Montanaro J, Robins-Browne RM, Vial P, Gibson R, Levine MM. Studies with enteroaggregative Escherichia coli in the gnotobiotic piglet gastroenteritis model. Infect Immun. 1992;60:5302–6.
- Hicks S, Candy DCA, Phillips AD. Adhesion of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli to pediatric intestinal mucosa in vitro. Infect Immun. 1996;64:4751–60.
- Wanke CA, Cronan S, Goss C, Chadee K, Guerrant RL. Characterization of binding of Escherichia coli strains which are enteropathogens to small-bowel mucin. Infect Immun. 1990;58:794–800.
- Nataro JP, Yikang D, Cookson S, Cravioto A, Savarino SJ, Guers LD, Heterogeneity of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli virulence demonstrated in volunteers. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:465–8.
- Eslava C, Villaseca J, Morales R, Navarro A, Cravioto A. Identification of a protein with toxigenic activity produced by enteroaggregative Escherichia coli [Abstract]. Abstracts of the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology; 1993. Washington: The Society; 1993. Abstract B105:44.
- Nataro JP, Hicks S, Phillips AD, Vial PA, Sears CL. T84 cells in culture as a model for enteroaggregative Escherichia coli pathogenesis. Infect Immun. 1996;64:4761–8.
- Czeczulin JR, Balepur S, Hicks S, Phillips A, Hall R, Kothary MH, Aggregative Adherence Fimbria II, a second fimbrial antigen mediating aggregative adherence in enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 1997;65:4135–45.
- Nataro JP, Deng Y, Maneval DR, German AL, Martin WC, Levine MM. Aggregative adherence fimbriae I of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli mediate adherence to HEp-2 cells and hemagglutination of human erythrocytes. Infect Immun. 1992;60:2297–304.
- Nataro JP, Yikang D, Giron JA, Savarino SJ, Kothary MH, Hall R. Aggregative adherence fimbria I expression in enteroaggregative Escherichia coli requires two unlinked plasmid regions. Infect Immun. 1993;61:1126–31.
- Nataro JP, Yikang D, Yingkang D, Walker K. AggR, a transcriptional activator of Aggregative Adherence Fimbria I expression in enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4691–9.
- Savarino SJ, Fox P, Yikang D, Nataro JP. Identification and characterization of a gene cluster mediating enteroaggregative Escherichia coli aggregative adherence fimbria I biogenesis. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4949–57.
- Tennant JM, Mattick JS. Type 4 Fimbriae. In: Klemm P, editor. Fimbriae: Adhesion, Genetics, Biogenesis and Vaccines. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 1994. p. 127-46.
- Wai SN, Takade A, Amako K. The hydrophobic surface protein layer of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli strains. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1996;135:17–22.
- Debroy C, Yealy J, Wilson RA, Bhan MK, Kumar R. Antibodies raised against the outer membrane protein interrupt adherence of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 1995;63:2873–9.
- Savarino SJ, Fasano A, Robertson DC, Levine MM. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli elaborate a heat-stable enterotoxin demonstrable in an in vitro rabbit intestinal model. J Clin Invest. 1991;87:1450–5.
- Savarino SJ, Fasano A, Watson J, Martin BM, Levine MM, Guandalini S, Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli heat-stable enterotoxin 1 represents another subfamily of E. coli heat-stable toxin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:3093–7.
- Savarino SJ, McVeigh A, Watson J, Cravioto A, Molina J, Echeverria P, Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli heat-stable enterotoxin is not restricted to enteroaggregative E. coli. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:1019–22.
- Benjamin P, Federman M, Wanke CA. Characterization of an invasive phenotype associated with enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 1995;63:3417–21.
- Jose J, Jahnig F, Meyer TF. Common structural features of IgA1 protease-like outer membrane protein autotransporters. Mol Microbiol. 1995;18:377–82.
- Baldwin TJ, Knutton S, Sellers L, Hernandez HAM, Aitken A, Williams PH. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli strains secrete a heat-labile toxin antigenically related to E. coli hemolysin. Infect Immun. 1992;60:2092–5.
- Wanke CA, Schorling JB, Barrett LJ, Desouza MA, Guerrant RL. Potential role of adherence traits of Escherichia coli in persistent diarrhea in an urban Brazilian slum. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1991;10:746–51.
- Lima AAM, Fang G, Schorling JB, de Albuquerque L, McAuliffe JF, Mota S, Persistent diarrhea in Northeast Brazil: Etiologies and interactions with malnutrition. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 1992;381:39–44.
- Fang GD, Lima AM, Martin CC, Barrett LJ, Nataro JP, Guerrant RL. Aggregative HEp-2 cell adherent Escherichia coli and Cryptosporidium: important pathogens in hospitalized children with persistent diarrhea in Northeast Brazil [Abstract]. Abstracts of the 32nd Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy; 1992. Washington: American Society for Microbiology; 1997. Abstr. 686.
- Steiner TS, Lima AAM, Nataro JP, Guerrant RL. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli produce intestinal inflammation and growth impairment and cause interleukin-8 release from intestinal epithelial cells. J Infect Dis. 1998;177:88–96.
- Madara JL, Patapoff TW, Gillece-Castro B, Colgan SP, Parkos CA, Delp C, 5'-adenosine monophosphate is the neutrophil-derived paracrine factor that elicits chloride secretion from T84 intestinal epithelial cell monolayers. J Clin Invest. 1993;91:2320–5.
- Rocha MFG, Maia MET, Bezerra L. Clostridium difficile toxin A induces the release of neutrophil chemotactic factors from rat peritoneal macrophages: role of interleukin-1', tumor necrosis factor alpha, and leukotrienes. Infect Immun. 1997;65:2740–6.
- Mahida YR, Makh S, Hyde S. Effect of Clostridium difficile toxin A on human intestinal epithelial cells: induction of interleukin 8 production and apoptosis after cell detachment. Gut. 1996;38:337–47.
- Knutton S, Shaw RK, Bhan MK, Smith HR, McConnell MM, Cheasty T, Ability of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli strains to adhere in vitro to human intestinal mucosa. Infect Immun. 1992;60:2083–91.
- Yamamoto T, Echeverria P, Yokota T. Drug resistance and adherence to human intestines of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. J Infect Dis. 1992;165:744–9.
- Bhan MK, Raj P, Levine MM, Kaper JB, Bhandari N, Srivastava R, Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli associated with persistent diarrhea in a cohort of rural children in India. J Infect Dis. 1989;159:1061–4.
- Paul M, Tsukamoto T, Ghosh AR, Bhattacharya SK, Manna B, Chakrabarti S, The significance of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli in the etiology of hospitalized diarrhoea in Calcutta, India and the demonstration of a new honey-combed pattern of aggregative adherence. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1994;117:319–26.
- Cravioto A, Tello A, Navarro A, Ruiz J, Villafan H, Uribe F, Association of Escherichia coli HEp-2 adherence patterns with type and duration of diarrhoea. Lancet. 1991;337:262–4.
- Fang GD, Lima AAM, Martins CV, Nataro JP, Guerrant RL. Etiology and epidemiology of persistent diarrhea in northeastern Brazil: a hospital-based, prospective, case-control study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1995;21:137–44.
- Gonzalez R, Diaz C, Marino M, Cloralt R, Pequeneze M, Perez-Schael I. Age-specific prevalence of Escherichia coli with localized and aggregative adherence in Venezuelan infants with acute diarrhea. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:1103–7.
- Bouzari S, Jafari A, Farhoudi-Moghaddam AA, Shokouhi F, Parsi M. Adherence of non-enteropathogenic Escherichia coli to HeLa cells. J Med Microbiol. 1994;40:95–7.
- Henry FJ, Udoy AS, Wanke CA, Aziz KMA. Epidemiology of persistent diarrhea and etiologic agents in Mirzapur, Bangladesh. Acta Paediatr Suppl. 1996;381:27–31.
- Mathewson JJ, Oberhelman RA, DuPont HL, Javier de la Cabada F, Garibay EV. Enteroadherent Escherichia coli as a cause of diarrhea among children in Mexico. J Clin Microbiol. 1987;25:1917–9.
- Vial PA, Mathewson JJ, DuPont HL, Guers L, Levine MM. Comparison of two assay methods for patterns of adherence to HEp-2 cells of Escherichia coli from patients with diarrhea. J Clin Microbiol. 1990;28:882–5.
- Cravioto A, Gross RJ, Scotland SM, Rowe B. An adhesive factor found in strains of Escherichia coli belonging to the traditional infantile enteropathogenic serotypes. Curr Microbiol. 1979;3:95–9.
- Baudry B, Savarino SJ, Vial P, Kaper JB, Levine MM. A sensitive and specific DNA probe to identify enteroaggregative Escherichia coli, a recently discovered diarrheal pathogen. J Infect Dis. 1990;161:1249–51.
- Kang G, Mathan MM, Mathan VI. Evaluation of a simplified HEp-2 cell adherence assay for Escherichia coli isolated from South Indian children with acute diarrhea and controls. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2204–5.
- Schmidt H, Knop C, Franke S, Aleksic S, Heeseman J, Karch H. Development of PCR for screening of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:701–5.
- Bhan MK, Khoshoo V, Sommerfelt H, Raj P, Sazawal S, Srivastava R. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli and Salmonella associated with nondysenteric persistent diarrhea. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1989;8:499–502.
- Bhatnagar S, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H, Sazawal S, Kumar R, Saini S. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli may be a new pathogen causing acute and persistent diarrhea. Scand J Infect Dis. 1993;25:579–83.
- Cobeljic M, Miljkovic-Selimovic B, Paunovic-Todosijevic D, Velickovic Z, Lepsanovic Z, Zec N, Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli associated with an outbreak of diarrhoea in a neonatal nursery ward. Epidemiol Infect. 1996;117:11–6.
- Bhan MK, Bhandari N, Sazawal S, Clemens J, Raj P, Levine MM, Descriptive epidemiology of persistent diarrhea among young children in rural northern India. Bull World Health Organ. 1989;67:281–8.
- Itoh Y, Nagano I, Kunishima M, Ezaki T. Laboratory investigation of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli O untypeable:H10 associated with a massive outbreak of gastrointestinal illness. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:2546–50.
- Smith HR, Scotland SM, Willshaw GA, Rowe B, Cravioto A, Eslava C. Isolates of Escherichia coli O44:H18 of diverse origin are enteroaggregative. J Infect Dis. 1994;170:1610–3.
- Smith HR, Cheasty T, Rowe B. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli and outbreaks of gastroenteritis in UK. Lancet. 1997;350:814–5.
- Morais TB, Gomes TAT, Sigulem DM. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli in infant feeding bottles. Lancet. 1997;349:1448–9.
- Huppertz HI, Rutkowski S, Aleksic S, Karch H. Acute and chronic diarrhoea and abdominal colic associated with enteroaggregative Escherichia coli in young children living in western Europe. Lancet. 1997;349:1660–2.
- Pai M, Kang G, Ramakrishna BS, Venkataraman A, Muliyil J. An epidemic of diarrhoea in south India caused by enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Indian J Med Res. 1997;106:7–12.
- Checkley W, Gilman RH, Epstein LD. Asymptomatic and symptomatic cryptosporidiosis: their acute effect of weight gain in Peruvian children. Am J Epidemiol. 1997;145:156–63.
- Guerrant R, Schorling J, McAuliffe J, Souza MD. Diarrhea as a cause and effect of malnutrition: diarrhea prevents catch-up growth and malnutrition increases diarrhea frequency and duration. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;47:28–35.
- Schorling J, McAuliffe J, Souza MD, Guerrant RL. Malnutrition is associated with increased diarrhea incidence and duration among children in an urban Brazilian slum. Int J Epidemiol. 1990;19:728–35.
Page created: December 15, 2010
Page updated: December 15, 2010
Page reviewed: December 15, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.