Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
Prevention is Primary
Preventing Infections in Non-Hospital Settings: Long-Term Care
|Site of infection||Frequency/1,000 patient-days|
|Urinary tract||0.46 - 4.4|
|Respiratory tract||0.1 - 2.4|
|Skin, soft tissue||<0.1 - 2.1|
|Gastrointestinal tract||0 - 0.9|
- Nicolle LE, Strausbaugh LJ, Garibaldi RA. Infections and antibiotic resistance in nursing homes. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1996;9:1–17.
- Nicolle LE. Asymptomatic bacteriuria in the elderly. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997;11:647–62.
- Bradley SF. Long-term Care Committee of the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America. Prevention of influenza in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:629–37.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Crossley KB, Nurse BA, Thrupp LD; SHEA Long-term Care Committee. Antimicrobial resistance in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1995;17:120–9.
- Crossley K. Long-term Care Committee of the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998;19:521–5.
- Smith PW, Rusnak PG. Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:831–49.
- Bradley S. Issues in the management of resistant bacteria in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:362–6.
- McGeer AR, Campbell B, Emori TG, Heirholzer WJ, Jackson MM, Nicolle LE, Definitions of infection for surveillance in long-term care facilities. Am J Infect Control. 1991;19:1–7.
- Nicolle LE, Bentley D, Garibaldi R, Neuhaus E, Smith P; SHEA Long-term Care Committee. Antimicrobial use in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:119–28.
- Orr P, Nicolle LE, Duckworth H, Brunka J, Kennedy J, Murray D, Febrile urinary infection in the institutionalized elderly. Am J Med. 1996;100:71–7.
- Goldrick BA. Infection control programs in skilled nursing long-term care facilities: An assessment, 1995. Am J Infect Control. 1997;27:4–9.
- Smith PW. Development of nursing home infection control. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:303–5.
- Smith PW, Rusnak PG. Guideline for infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control. 1991;19:198–215.
- Murphy S, West KP, Greenough WB, Cherot E, Katz J, Clement L. Impact of vitamin A supplementation on the incidence of infection in elderly nursing home residents: A randomized controlled trial. Age Ageing. 1992;21:435–9.
- Graham S, McIntyre M, Chicoine J, Gerard B, Laughren R, Cowley G, Frequency of changing enteral alimentation bags and tubing and adverse clinical outcomes in patients of a long-term care facility. Can J Infect Control. 1993;8:41–3.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Jacobson C, Sewell DL, Potter S, Ward TT. Antimicrobial therapy for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in residents and staff of a Veteran's Affairs nursing home care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992;13:151–9.
- Duffy LM, Cleary J, Ahern S, Kushowski MA, West M, Wheeler L, Clean intermittent catheterization: Safe, cost-effective bladder management for male residents of VA nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995;43:865–70.