Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
Prevention is Primary
Preventing Infections in Non-Hospital Settings: Long-Term Care
|Site of infection||Frequency/1,000 patient-days|
|Urinary tract||0.46 - 4.4|
|Respiratory tract||0.1 - 2.4|
|Skin, soft tissue||<0.1 - 2.1|
|Gastrointestinal tract||0 - 0.9|
- Nicolle LE, Strausbaugh LJ, Garibaldi RA. Infections and antibiotic resistance in nursing homes. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1996;9:1–17.
- Nicolle LE. Asymptomatic bacteriuria in the elderly. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997;11:647–62.
- Bradley SF. Long-term Care Committee of the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America. Prevention of influenza in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:629–37.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Crossley KB, Nurse BA, Thrupp LD; SHEA Long-term Care Committee. Antimicrobial resistance in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1995;17:120–9.
- Crossley K. Long-term Care Committee of the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998;19:521–5.
- Smith PW, Rusnak PG. Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:831–49.
- Bradley S. Issues in the management of resistant bacteria in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:362–6.
- McGeer AR, Campbell B, Emori TG, Heirholzer WJ, Jackson MM, Nicolle LE, Definitions of infection for surveillance in long-term care facilities. Am J Infect Control. 1991;19:1–7.
- Nicolle LE, Bentley D, Garibaldi R, Neuhaus E, Smith P; SHEA Long-term Care Committee. Antimicrobial use in long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:119–28.
- Orr P, Nicolle LE, Duckworth H, Brunka J, Kennedy J, Murray D, Febrile urinary infection in the institutionalized elderly. Am J Med. 1996;100:71–7.
- Goldrick BA. Infection control programs in skilled nursing long-term care facilities: An assessment, 1995. Am J Infect Control. 1997;27:4–9.
- Smith PW. Development of nursing home infection control. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:303–5.
- Smith PW, Rusnak PG. Guideline for infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control. 1991;19:198–215.
- Murphy S, West KP, Greenough WB, Cherot E, Katz J, Clement L. Impact of vitamin A supplementation on the incidence of infection in elderly nursing home residents: A randomized controlled trial. Age Ageing. 1992;21:435–9.
- Graham S, McIntyre M, Chicoine J, Gerard B, Laughren R, Cowley G, Frequency of changing enteral alimentation bags and tubing and adverse clinical outcomes in patients of a long-term care facility. Can J Infect Control. 1993;8:41–3.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Jacobson C, Sewell DL, Potter S, Ward TT. Antimicrobial therapy for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in residents and staff of a Veteran's Affairs nursing home care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992;13:151–9.
- Duffy LM, Cleary J, Ahern S, Kushowski MA, West M, Wheeler L, Clean intermittent catheterization: Safe, cost-effective bladder management for male residents of VA nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995;43:865–70.
Page created: May 10, 2011
Page updated: May 10, 2011
Page reviewed: May 10, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.