Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
State of the Art
Economic Impact of Antimicrobial Resistance
|Year||First author (ref.)||Study methods||Features measured|
|2000||Soriano (9)||Case-control, cohort||Death, length of hospital stay|
|2000||Roghmann (10)||Cohort||Mortality rates at 7 and 30 days, length of hospital stay, direct health-care costs|
|2000||Simor (12)||Comparison of cases with arbitrary criteria||Incremental length of hospital stay|
|2000||Garbutt (16)||Retrospective cohort||Death|
|1999||Carmeli (17)||Cohort||Death, length of hospital stay, hospital charges|
|1999||Rubin (18)||Modeling, assumption and extrapolation from case reports||Death, direct medical costs|
|1999||Weingarten (19)||Case-control||Use of ventilators, length of hospital stay, duration and number of antimicrobial agents, hospital and pharmacy charges|
|1999||Abramson (21)||Case-control||Length of hospital stay, attributable median total cost|
- Institute of Medicine. Antimicrobial drug resistance: issues and options. Workshop report. Washington: National Academy Press, 1998.
- Nathwani D, Malek M. Cost considerations in the evaluation of new therapies for gram-positive bacteria. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 1999;13:71–8.
- Scott RD, Solomon SL, McGowan JE Jr. Applying economic principles to health care. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;7. In press.
- Cohen ML. Epidemiology of drug resistance: implications for a post-antimicrobial era. Science. 1992;257:1050–5.
- McGowan JE Jr. Cost and benefit in perioperative antimicrobial prophylaxis-methods for economic analysis. Rev Infect Dis. 1991;13(Suppl 10):S879–89.
- Coast J, Smith RD, Millar MR. Superbugs: should antimicrobial drug resistance be included as a cost in economic evaluation? Health Econ. 1996;5:217–26.
- Zanetti G, Platt R. Cost-effectiveness of vancomycin versus cefazolin for perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis in coronary artery bypass graft surgery [abstract]. Am J Infect Control. 2000;28:79.
- Chrischilles EA, Scholz DA. Dollars and sense: a practical guide to cost analysis for hospital epidemiology and infection control. Clin Perform Qual Health Care. 1999;7:107–11.
- Soriano A, Martinez JA, Mensa J, Marco F, Almela M, Moreno-Martinez A, Pathogenic significance of methicillin resistance for patients with Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:368–73.
- Roghmann M, Bradham D, South B, Fridkin S, Perl TM. The clinical and economic impact of antimicrobial drug resistance on nosocomial bloodstream infections [abstract]. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:97.
- Vanhems P, Lepape A, Savey A, Jambou P, Fabry J. Nosocomial pulmonary infection by antimicrobial-resistant bacteria of patients hospitalized in intensive care units: risk factors and survival. J Hosp Infect. 2000;45:98–106.
- Simor AE, Kim T, Oh PI. The economic impact of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Canadian hospitals [abstract]. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:124.
- Harthug S, Eide GE, Langeland N. Nosocomial outbreak of ampicillin resistant Enterococcus faecium: risk factors for infection and fatal outcome. J Hosp Infect. 2000;45:135–44.
- Bhavnani SM, Drake JA, Forrest A, Deinhart JA, Jones RN, Biedenbach DJ, A nationwide, multicenter case-control study comparing risk factors, treatment and outcome for vancomycin-resistant and -susceptible enterococcal bacteremia. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000;36:145–58.
- Feikin DR, Schuchat A, Kolczak M, Barrett NL, Harrison LH, Lefkowitz L, Mortality from invasive pneumococcal pneumonia in the era of antibiotic resistance, 1995-1997. Am J Public Health. 2000;90:223–9.
- Garbutt JM, Ventrapragada M, Littenberg B, Mundy LM. Association between resistance to vancomycin and death in cases of Enterococcus faecium bacteremia. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:466–72.
- Carmeli Y, Troillet N, Karchmer AW, Samore MH. Health and economic outcomes of antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Arch Intern Med. 1999;159:1127–32.
- Rubin RJ, Harrington CA, Poon A, Dietrich K, Greene JA, Moiduddin A. The economic impact of Staphylococcus aureus infection in New York City hospitals. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:9–17.
- Weingarten CM, Rybak MJ, Jahns BE, Stevenson JG, Brown WJ, Levine DP. Evaluation of Acinetobacter baumanii infection and colonization and antimicrobial treatment patterns in an urban teaching hospital. Pharmacotherapy. 1999;19:1080–5.
- Gonzalez C, Rubio M, Romero-Vivas J, Gonzalez M, Picazo JJ. Bacteremic pneumonia due to Staphylococcus aureus: a comparison of disease caused by methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible organisms. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:1171–7.
- Abramson MA, Sexton DJ. Nosocomial methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus primary bacteremia: at what costs? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:408–11.
- Einarsson S, Kristjansson M, Kristinsson KG, Kjartansson G, Jonsson S. Pneumonia caused by penicillin-non-susceptible and penicillin-susceptible pneumococci in adults: A case-control study. Scand J Infect Dis. 1998;30:253–6.
- Ibelings MM, Bruining HA. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: acquisition and risk of death in patients in the intensive care unit. Eur J Surg. 1998;164:411–8.
- Eandi M, Zara GP. Economic impact of resistance in the community. Int J Clin Pract. 1998;95(Suppl):27–38.
- Bryce EA, Tiffin SM, Isaac-Renton JL, Wright CJ. Evidence of delays in transferring patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus to long-term-care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:270–1.
- Liss RH, Batchelor FR. Economic evaluations of antibiotic use and resistance-a perspective: report of Task Force 6. Rev Infect Dis. 1987;9(Suppl 3):S297–312.
- Harris JD, Samore M, Carmeli Y. Control group selection is an important but neglected issue in studies of antibiotic resistance. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:159.
- Rennie D, Luft HS. Pharmacoeconomic analyses - making them transparent, making them credible. JAMA. 2000;283:2158–60.
- Neumann PJ, Stone PW, Chapman RH, Sandberg EA, Bell CM. The quality of reporting in published cost-utility analyses, 1976-1997. Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:964–72.
- McGowan JE Jr. Ways and means to influence antimicrobial prescribing in healthcare and its impact on resistance. In: Andremont A, Brun-Buisson C, McGowan JE Jr., editors. Antibiotic therapy and control of antimicrobial drug resistance in hospitals: 6th Maurice Rapin Colloquia. Paris: Elsevier; 1999. p.97-105.
- McGowan JE Jr, Robert W. Philip Memorial Lecture: Year 2000 bugs--the end of the antibiotic era? Bulletin of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. In press.
- American Society for Microbiology. Report of the ASM Task Force on Antibiotic Resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39(Suppl):1–23.
- Schlaes D, Gerding D, Tenover F, McGowan JE Jr, Levy S, John J. Guidelines for the prevention of antimicrobial drug resistance in hospitals: joint statement by the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:275–91.
- Select Committee on Science and Technology, House of Lords. Seventh Report: Resistance to antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office;1998. Available at URL: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199798/ldselect/ldsctech/081vii/st0701.htm
- Department of Health UK. Government Response to the House of Lords Select Committee on Science & Technology Report: Resistance to antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents (publication CM4172). London: The Stationery Office; 1998.
- McGowan JE Jr. Do intensive hospital antibiotic control programs prevent the spread of antibiotic resistance? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1994;15:478–83.
- Lai KK, Kelley AL, Melvin ZS, Belliveau PP, Fontecchio SA. Failure to eradicate vancomycin-resistant enterococci in a university hospital and the cost of barrier precautions. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998;19:647–52.
- Lavin BS. Antibiotic cycling and marketing into the 21st century: a perspective from the pharmaceutical industry. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21(Suppl):S32–5.
- Moellering RC Jr. A novel antimicrobial agent joins the battle against resistant bacteria. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:155–7.
- Medical Letter. Gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin: two new fluoroquinolones. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2000;42:15–7.
- Soriano-Gabarro M, Besser R, Schuchat A. Indications for pneumococcal vaccine in the era of expanding pneumococcal resistance. J Crit Illn. 2000;15:161–4.
- Dagan R, Givon-Lavi N, Shkolnik L, Yagupsky P, Fraser D. Acute otitis media caused by antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in southern Israel: implication for immunizing with conjugate vaccines. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:1322–9.
- Wise R, Andrews JM. Local surveillance of antimicrobial drug resistance. Lancet. 1998;352:657.
- Weinstein RA. Controlling antimicrobial drug resistance: the role of infection control and antimicrobial use. Program of the 4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections. Atlanta, Georgia, March 5-9, 2000:7.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: Tenth Informational Supplement (Publication M100-S10). Villanova, Pennsylvania: NCCLS; 2000. vol. 19.
- Austin DJ, Kristinnson KG, Anderson RM. The relationship between the volume of antimicrobial consumption in human communities and the frequency of resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:1152–6.
- McGowan JE Jr. Drug resistance and nosocomial infections: epidemiology and prevention strategies. In: Finch RG, Williams R, editors. Balliere's clinical infectious diseases. London: Balliere Tindall; 1999. p. 177-92.
- Schentag JJ. Antibiotic dosing - does one size fit all? JAMA. 1998;279:159–60.
- Fraise AP. Guidelines for the control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:287–9.
- Jacoby GA. Editorial response: epidemiology of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases. Clin Infect Dis. 1998;27:81–3.
- White AC Jr, Atmar RL, Wilson J, Cate TR, Stager CE, Greenberg SB. Effects of requiring prior authorization for selected antimicrobials; expenditures, susceptibilities, and clinical outcomes. Clin Infect Dis. 1997;25:230–9.
- Burke JP. Antibiotic resistance - squeezing the balloon? JAMA. 1998;280:1270–1.
- Lawton RM, Fridkin SK, Gaynes RP, McGowan JE Jr, Hospitals ICARE. Practices to improve antimicrobial use at 47 US hospitals: the status of the 1997 SHEA/IDSA position paper recommendations. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:256–9.
- Gould IM. A review of the role of antibiotic policies in the control of antibiotic resistance. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1999;43:459–65.
- Phelps CE. Bug/drug resistance: sometimes less is more. Med Care. 1989;27:194–203.
- Gerding DN, Martone WJ. SHEA conference on antimicrobial drug resistance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:347–51.
- Interagency Task Force on antimicrobial drug resistance. Draft public health action plan to combat antimicrobial drug resistance. Part I: domestic issues. Available at website: http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/actionplan/index.htm. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2000.
- Coast J, Smith RD, Millar MR. An economic perspective on policy to reduce antimicrobial drug resistance. Soc Sci Med. 1998;46:29–38.
Correction: On July 2, 2001 the following correction was made to this article in the second sentence of paragraph 1. The word "billion" replaced "million" in the phrase "...U.S.$4 to $5 million."
Page created: May 10, 2011
Page updated: May 10, 2011
Page reviewed: May 10, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.