Volume 9, Number 8—August 2003
Detecting Bioterror Attacks by Screening Blood Donors: A Best-Case Analysis
|Agent||Incubation time (days)|
|Hemorrhagic fever viruses||2–21 (Ebola); 5–10 (Marburg)|
- O’Toole T, Mair M, Inglesby TV. Shining light on “Dark Winter.”. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:972–83.
- Webb GF, Blaser MJ. Mailborne transmission of anthrax: modeling and implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:7027–32.
- Kaplan EH, Craft DL, Wein LM. Emergency response to a smallpox attack: the case for mass vaccination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10935–40.
- Wein LM, Craft DL, Kaplan EH. Emergency response to an anthrax attack. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4346–51.
- Broad WJ. White House debate on smallpox slows plan for wide vaccination. New York Times 2002 Oct. 13; 20.
- Obstacles to biodefence. Nature. 2002;419:1.
- De BK, Bragg SL, Sanden GN, Wilson KE, Diem LA, Marston CK, A two-component direct fluorescent-antibody assay for rapid identification of Bacillus anthracis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:1060–5.
- Espy MJ, Cockerill FR III, Meyer RF, Bowen MD, Poland GA, Hadfield TL, Detection of smallpox virus DNA by LightCycler PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:1985–8.
- Berdal BP, Mehl R, Haaheim H, Loksa M, Grunow R, Burans J, Field detection of Francisella tularensis. Scand J Infect Dis. 2000;32:287–91.
- Neergard L. Scientists work on smallpox medicines. Associated Press Online, June 2 2002. Available from: URL:http://www.lexis-nexis.com
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Biological diseases/agents: category A. Atlanta (GA): The Centers; 2003. Available from: URL:http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/agentlist.asp\#categoryadiseases
- Report on blood collection and transfusion in the United States in 1999. Bethesda (MD): National Blood Data Resource Center; 2000.
- Cox DR. Renewal theory. London: Methuen & Co. Ltd.; 1967.
- Anderson RM, May RM. Infectious diseases of humans: dynamics and control. New York: Oxford University Press; 1991.
- Gani R, Leach S. Transmission potential of smallpox in contemporary populations. Nature. 2001;414:748–51.
Page created: December 22, 2010
Page updated: December 22, 2010
Page reviewed: December 22, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.