Volume 1, Number 4—October 1995
Helicobacter hepaticus, a Recently Recognized Bacterial Pathogen, Associated with Chronic Hepatitis and Hepatocellular Neoplasia in Laboratory Mice
|Date Killed||Number of mice||Age, in weeks||Mice with hepatitis (%)||Mice with liver tumors (%)|
|May-Jul 1989||47||70±360||0||1 (2)|
|Jan-Apr 1992||6||36±34||2 (33)||0|
|Jul 1992||16||54||16 (100)||1 (6)|
|Aug-Oct 1992||64±3||5 (83)||3 (50)|
|Dec 1992||77||12 (100)||11 (92)|
Adapted from ref. 4.
- Parsonnet J, Friedman GD, Vandersteen DP, Chang Y, Vogelman JH, Orentreich N, Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:1127–31.
- Wotherspoon AC, Doglioni C, Diss TC, Pan L, Moschini A, de Boni M, Regression of primary low-grade B-cell gastric lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue type after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Lancet. 1993;342:575–7.
- Bayerdörffer E, Neubauer A, Rudolph B, Thiede C, Lehn N, Eidt S, Regression of primary gastric lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue type after cure of Helicobacter pylori infection. Lancet. 1995;345:1591–4.
- Ward JM, Fox JG, Anver MR, Haines DC, George CV, Collins MJ Jr, Chronic active hepatitis and associated liver tumors in mice caused by a persistent bacterial infection with a novel Helicobacter species. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1994;86:1222–7.
- Ward JM, Anver MR, Haines DC, Benveniste RE. Chronic active hepatitis in mice caused by Helicobacter hepaticus. Am J Pathol. 1994;145:959–68.
- Garvey W, Fathi A, Bigelow F. Modified Steiner for the demonstration of spirochetes. J Histotechnol. 1985;8:15–7.
- Fox JG, Dewhirst FE, Tully JG, Paster BJ, Yan L, Taylor NS, Helicobacter hepaticus sp. nov., a microaerophilic bacterium isolated from livers and intestinal mucosal scrapings from mice. J Clin Microbiol. 1994;32:1238–45.
- Battles JK, Williamson JC, Pike KM, Gorelick PL, Ward JM, Gonda MA. Diagnostic assay for Helicobacter hepaticus based on nucleotide sequence of its 16S rRNA gene. 1995;33:1344-7.
- Kita E, Oku D, Hamuro A, Nishikawa F, Emoto M, Yagyu Y, Hepatotoxic activity of Campylobacter jejuni. J Med Microbiol. 1990;33:171–82.
- Taylor NS, Fox JG, Yan L. In-vitro hepatotoxic factor in Helicobacter hepaticus, H. pylori and other Helicobacter species. J Med Microbiol. 1995;42:48–52.
- Ohshima H, Bartsch H. Chronic infections and inflammatory processes as cancer risk factors: possible role of nitric oxide in carcinogenesis. Mutat Res. 1994;305:253–64.
- Foltz CJ, Fox JG, Yan L, Shames B. Evaluation of antibiotic therapies for eradication of Helicobacter hepaticus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:1292–4.
- Handt LK, Fox JG, Dewhirst FE, Fraser GJ, Paster BJ, Yan LL, Helicobacter pylori isolated from the domestic cat: public health implications. Infect Immun. 1994;62:2367–74.
Page created: December 20, 2010
Page updated: December 20, 2010
Page reviewed: December 20, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.