Volume 10, Number 5—May 2004
Causative Agent of Pogosta Disease Isolated from Blood and Skin Lesions
- Taylor RM, Hurlbut HS, Work TH, Kingsbury JR, Frothingham TE. Sindbis virus: a newly recognized arthropod-transmitted virus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1955;4:844–6.
- Strauss EG, Rice CM, Strauss JH. Complete nucleotide sequence of the genomic RNA of Sindbis virus. Virology. 1984;133:92–110.
- Brummer-Korvenkontio M, Vapalahti O, Kuusisto P, Saikku P, Manni T, Koskela P, Epidemiology of Sindbis virus infections in Finland 1981–96: possible factors explaining a peculiar disease pattern. Epidemiol Infect. 2002;129:335–45.
- Turunen M, Kuusisto P, Uggeldahl PE, Toivanen A. Pogosta disease: clinical observations during an outbreak in the province of North Karelia, Finland. Br J Rheumatol. 1998;37:1177–80.
- Lvov DK, Vladimirtseva EA, Butenko AM, Karabatsos N, Trent DW, Calisher CH. Identity of Karelian fever and Ockelbo viruses determined by serum dilution-plaque reduction neutralization tests and oligonucleotide mapping. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1988;39:607–10.
- Lvov DK, Skvortsova TM, Berezina LK, Gromashevsky VL, Yakovlev BI, Gushchin BV, Isolation of Karelian fever agent from Aedes communis mosquitoes. Lancet. 1984;2:399–400.
- Shirako Y, Niklasson B, Dalrymple JM, Strauss EG, Strauss JH. Structure of the Ockelbo virus genome and its relationship to other Sindbis viruses. Virology. 1991;182:753–64.
- Skogh M, Espmark A. Ockelbo disease: epidemic arthritis-exanthema syndrome in Sweden caused by Sindbis-virus like agent. Lancet. 1982;1:795–6.
- Lundstrom JO, Vene S, Espmark A, Engvall M, Niklasson B. Geographical and temporal distribution of Ockelbo disease in Sweden. Epidemiol Infect. 1991;106:567–74.
- Niklasson B, Espmark Å, LeDuc JW, Gargan TP, Ennis WA, Tesh RB, Association of a Sindbis-like virus with Ockelbo disease in Sweden. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1984;33:1212–7.
- Lundström JO, Lindström KM, Olsen B, Dufva R, Krakower DS. Prevalence of Sindbis virus neutralizing antibodies among Swedish passerines indicates that thrushes are the main amplifying hosts. J Med Entomol. 2001;38:289–97.
- Lundström JO, Turell MJ, Niklasson B. Viremia in three orders of birds (Anseriformes, Galliformes and Passeriformes) inoculated with Ockelbo virus. J Wildl Dis. 1993;29:189–95.
- Malherbe H, Strickland-Cholmley M, Jackson AL. Sindbis virus infection in man. Report of a case with recovery of virus from skin lesions. S Afr Med J. 1963;37:547–52.
- Zhou G, Liang G, Li L. Complete nucleotide sequence of the nonstructural gene of alphavirus YN87448 strain isolated in China and its relationship to other Sindbis viruses. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi. 1999;13:314–20.
- Hörling J, Vene S, Franzen C, Niklasson B. Detection of Ockelbo virus RNA in skin biopsies by polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:2004–9.
- Vene S, Franzen C, Niklasson B. Development of specific antibody patterns and clinical symptoms following Ockelbo virus infection. Arch Virol. 1994;134:61–71.
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, positions-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:4673–80.
- Niklasson B, Espmark A, Lundstrom J. Occurrence of arthralgia and specific IgM antibodies three to four years after Ockelbo disease. J Infect Dis. 1998;157:832–5.
- Heise MT, Simpson DA, Johnston RE. Sindbis-group alphavirus replication in periosteum and endosteum of long bones in adult mice. J Virol. 2000;74:9294–9.
- Luukkainen R, Laine M, Nirhamo J. Chronic arthritis after Sindbis-related (Pogosta) virus infection. Scand J Rheumatol. 2000;29:399–400.
- Autio P, Niemi KM, Kariniemi AL. An eruption associated with alphavirus infection. Br J Dermatol. 1996;135:320–3.
- Mackenzie JS, Lindsay MD, Coelen RJ, Broom AK, Hall RA, Smith DW. Arboviruses causing human disease in the Australasian zoogeographic region. Arch Virol. 1994;136:447–67.
- Doherty RL, Bodey AS, Carew JS. Sindbis virus infection in Australia. Med J Aust. 1969;2:1016–7.
- Guard RW, McAuliffe MJ, Stallman ND, Bramston BA. Haemorrhagic manifestations with Sindbis infection. Case report. Pathology. 1982;14:89–90.
- Boughton CR, Hawkes RA, Naim HM, Wild J, Chapman B. Arbovirus infections in humans in New South Wales. Seroepidemiology of the alphavirus group of togaviruses. Med J Aust. 1984;141:700–4.
- Norder H, Lundstrom JO, Kozuch O, Magnius LO. Genetic relatedness of Sindbis virus strains from Europe, Middle East, and Africa. Virology. 1996;222:440–5.
- Buckley A, Dawson A, Moss SR, Hinsley SA, Bellamy PE, Gould EA. Serological evidence of West Nile virus, Usutu virus and Sindbis virus infection of birds in the UK. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:2807–17.
- Sammels LM, Lindsay MD, Poidinger M, Coelen RJ, Mackenzie JS. Geographic distribution and evolution of Sindbis virus in Australia. J Gen Virol. 1999;80:739–48.
Page created: February 22, 2011
Page updated: February 22, 2011
Page reviewed: February 22, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.