Volume 13, Number 10—October 2007
Super-Sentinel Chickens and Detection of Low-Pathogenicity Influenza Virus
|Infection type†||No. chickens
|Water||Water + interferon‡||Total|
*Represents 4 independent trials.
†Overtly infected birds were mixed with uninfected sentinel cage mates, the latter to become infected naturally.
‡Recombinant chicken interferon-α at 2,000 U/mL (5).
§No. positive birds/total no. receiving treatment, scored by agar gel precipitin or hemagglutination inhibition tests.
- Cardona C. Low-pathogenicity avian influenza virus outbreaks in commercial poultry in California. In: The threat of pandemic influenza: are we ready? Washington: National Academies Press; 2005. p. 243–53.
- Chin PS, Hoffman E, Webby R, Webster RG, Guan Y, Peiris M, Molecular evolution of H6 influenza viruses from poultry in southeastern China: prevalence of H6N1 influenza viruses possessing seven A/Hong Kong/156/97 (H5N1)–like genes in poultry. J Virol. 2002;76:507–16.
- Lee C-W, Swayne DE, Linares JA, Senns DA, Suarez DI. H5N2 avian influenza outbreak in Texas in 2004: the first highly pathogenic strain in the United States in 20 years? J Virol. 2005;79:11412–21.
- Kuiken T, Leighton FA, Fouchier RAM, LeDuc JW, Peitis JSM, Schdel A, Pathogen surveillance in animals. Science. 2005;309:1680–1.
- Sekellick MJ, Ferrandino AF, Hopkins DA, Marcus PI. Chicken interferon gene: cloning, expression, and analysis. J Interferon Res. 1994;14:71–9.
- Marcus PI, van der Heide L, Sekellick MJ. Interferon action on avian viruses. I. Oral administration of chicken interferon-α ameliorates Newcastle disease. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 1999;19:881–5.
- Pei J, Sekellick MJ, Marcus PI, Choi I-S, Collisson EW. Chicken interferon type I inhibits infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) replication and associated respiratory illness. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2001;21:1071–7.
- Mo CW, Cao TC, Lim BL. The in vivo and in vitro effects of chicken interferon-alpha on infectious bursal disease virus and Newcastle disease infection. Avian Dis. 2001;45:389–99.
- Lu H, Castro AE. Evaluation of the infectivity, length of infection, and immune response of a low-pathogenicity H7N2 avian influenza virus in specific-pathogen-free chickens. Avian Dis. 2004;48:263–70.
- Sekellick MJ, Carra SA, Bowman A, Marcus PI. Transient resistance of influenza virus to interferon action attributed to random packaging and activity of NS genes. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2000;20:963–70.
- Cauthen AN, Swayne DE, Sekellick MJ, Marcus PI, Suarez DL. Amelioration of influenza pathogenesis in chickens attributed to the enhanced interferon-inducing capacity of a virus with a truncated NS1 gene. J Virol. 2007;81:1838–47.
- Beilharz MW, Fleischmann WR Jr, eds. Special topics issue: oral use of interferons and cytokines. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 1999;19:813–979.
- Suresh M, Karaca K, Foster D, Sharma JM. Molecular and functional characterization of turkey interferon. J Virol. 1995;69:8159–63.
- Xia C, Liu J, Wu ZG, Lin CY, Wang M. The interferon-alpha genes from three chicken lines and its effects on H9N2 influenza viruses. Anim Biotechnol. 2004;15:77–88.
- Schultz U, Rinderle C, Sekellick MJ, Marcus PI, Staeheli P. Recombinant chicken interferon from Escherichia coli and transfected COS cells is biologically active. Eur J Biochem. 1995;229:73–6.