Volume 15, Number 3—March 2009
Meeting the Challenge of Influenza Pandemic Preparedness in Developing Countries
- Oshitani H, Kamigaki T, Suzuki A. Major issues and challenges of influenza pandemic preparedness in developing countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:875–80.
- Fedson DS, Dunnill P. From scarcity to abundance: pandemic vaccines and other agents for “have not” countries. J Public Health Policy. 2007;28:322–40.
- World Health Organization. Options for the use of human H5N1 influenza vaccines and the WHO H5N1 vaccine stockpile. WHO scientific consultation. 2007 Oct 1–3; Geneva [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/WHO_HSE_EPR_GIP_2008_1d.pdf
- Higgs ES, Hayden FG, Chotpitayasunondh T, Whitworth J, Farrar J. The Southeast Asian Influenza Clinical Research Network: development and challenges for a new multilateral research endeavor. Antiviral Res. 2008;78:64–8.
- Chen LM, David CT, Zhou H, Cox NJ, Donis RO. Genetic compatibility and virulence of reassortants derived from contemporary avian H5N1 and human H3N2 influenza A viruses. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000072.
- Belser JA, Blixt O, Chen LM, Pappas C, Maines TR, Van Hoeven N, Contemporary North America influenza H7 viruses possess human receptor specificity: implications for virus transmissibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:7558–63.
- Reports of increased survival in bird flu patients taking Tamiflu. International Symposium on Respiratory Viral Infections; 2008 Mar 2; Singapore [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.antara.co.id/en/print/?i=1204536377
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD, Chin B, Feehan D, Hill KH. Estimation of potential global influenza mortality on the basis of vital registry data from the 1918–1920 pandemic: a quantitative analysis. Lancet. 2006;368:2211–8.
- Webster RG, Campbell CH. Studies on the origin of pandemic influenza. IV. Selection and transmission of “new” influenza viruses in vivo. Virology. 1974;62:404–13.
- Fidler DP. Influenza virus samples, international law, and global health diplomacy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:88–94.
- Schnirring L. Indonesia claims wide support for virus-sharing stance. Center for Infectious Disease and Research Policy News. 2008 May 27 [cited 2008 Dec 12]. Available from http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/may2708sharing.html
- Fedson DS. New technologies for meeting the global demand for pandemic influenza vaccines. Biologicals. 2008;36:346–9.
- Fedson DS. Pandemic influenza: a potential role for statins in treatment and prophylaxis. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:199–205.
- Fedson DS. Confronting an influenza pandemic with inexpensive generic agents: can it be done? Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:571–6.
- Butler D. Cheaper approaches to flu divide flu researchers. Nature. 2007;448:976–7.
- Writing Committee of the Second World Health Organization Consultation on Clinical Aspects of Human Infection with Avian Influenza A (H5N1) Virus; Abdel-Ghafar AN, Chotpitayasunondh T, Gao Z, Hayden FG, Nguyen DH, de Jong MD, et al. Update on avian influenza A (H5N1) virus infection in humans. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:261–73.
- van de Garde EM, Hak E, Souverein PC, Hoes AW, van den Bosch JM, Leufkens HG. Statin therapy and reduced risk of pneumonia in patients with diabetes. Thorax. 2006;61:957–61.
- Schlienger RG, Fedson DS, Jick S, Jick H, Meier C. Statins and the risk of pneumonia: a population-based nested case-control study. Pharmacotherapy. 2007;27:325–32.
- Mortensen EM, Pugh MJ, Copeland L, Cornell J, Restrepo MI, Anzueto A, Impact of statins and ACE inhibitors on mortality for patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia and influenza. Eur Respir J. 2008;31:611–7.
- Chalmers JD, Singanayagam A, Murray MP, Hill AT. Prior statin use is associated with improved outcomes in community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Med. 2008;121:1002–7.
- Thomsen RW, Riis A, Kornum JB, Christensen S, Johnsen SP, Sorensen HT. Preadmission use of statins and outcomes after hospitalization with pneumonia. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:2081–7.
- Majumdar SR, McAlister FA, Eurich DT, Padwal RS, Marrie TJ. Statins and outcomes in patients admitted to hospital with community acquired pneumonia: a population based prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2006;333:999–1004.
- Choi HS, Park MJ, Kang HM, Lim IH, Choi CW, You JH. Statin use and mortality in sepsis due to pneumonia. Crit Care Med. 2007;35(Suppl):1362.
- Budd A, Alleva L, Alsharifi M, Koskinen A, Smytha V, Mullbacher A, Increased survival after gemfibrozil treatment of severe mouse influenza. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007;51:2965–8.
- Palamara AT, Nencioni L, Aquilano K, De Chiara G, Hernandez L, Cossolino F, Inhibition of influenza A virus replication by resveratrol. J Infect Dis. 2005;191:1719–29.
- Song JM, Park KD, Lee KH, Byun YH, Park JH, Kim SH, Biological evaluation of anti-influenza viral activity of semi-synthetic catechin derivatives. Antiviral Res. 2007;76:178–85.
- Siddiqui AM, Cui X, Wu R, Dong W, Zhou M, Hu M, The anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin in an experimental model of sepsis is mediated by up-regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma. Crit Care Med. 2006;34:1874–82.
- Zheng BJ, Chan KW, Lin YP, Zhao GY, Chan C, Zhang HJ, Delayed antiviral plus immunomodulator treatment still reduces mortality in mice infected by high inoculum of influenza A/H5N1 virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8091–6.
- Simmons C, Farrar JT. Insights into inflammation. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:1621–3.
- McAuley JL, Hornung F, Boyd KL, Smith AM, McKeon R, Bennick J, Expression of the 1918 influenza A virus PB1–F2 enhances the pathogenesis of viral and secondary bacterial pneumonia. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:240–9.
- Imai Y, Kuba K, Neely GG, Yaghubian-Malhami R, Perkmann T, van Loo G, Identification of oxidative stress and Toll-like receptor 4 signaling as a key pathway of acute lung injury. Cell. 2008;133:235–49.
- Mizgerd JP, Skerrett SJ. Animal models of human lung disease. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L387–98.
- Fukunaga K, Kohli P, Bonnans C, Fredenburgh LE, Levy BD. Cyclooxygenase 2 plays a pivotal role in the resolution of acute lung injury. J Immunol. 2005;174:5033–9.
- Korteweg C, Gu J. Pathology, molecular biology, and pathogenesis of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection in humans. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:1155–70.
- van der Poll T, Opal SM. Host-pathogen interactions in sepsis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:32–43.
- Rittirsch D, Flierl MA, Ward PA. Harmful molecular mechanisms in sepsis. Nat Rev Immunol. 2008;8:776–87.
- Carré JE, Singer M. Cellular energetic metabolism in sepsis: the need for a systems approach. Biochim Biophys Acta 2008;1777:763–71.
- World Health Organization. WHO global conference on severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Where do we go from here? 2003 Jun 17–18 [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.who.int/csr/sars/conference/june_2003/materials/report/en/index.html
Page created: December 07, 2010
Page updated: December 07, 2010
Page reviewed: December 07, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.