Volume 15, Number 4—April 2009
Isolation of Genotype V St. Louis Encephalitis Virus in Florida
- Lindenbach BD, Rice CM. Flaviviridae: the viruses and their replication. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Field’s virology, 4th ed., vol. 1. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001. p. 991–1041.
- Burke DS, Monath TP. Flaviviruses. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, eds. Field’s virology, 4th ed., vol. 1. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001. p. 1043–125.
- Fang Y, Reisen WK. Previous infection with West Nile or St. Louis encephalitis viruses provides cross protection during reinfection in house finches. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;75:480–5.
- Reisen WK, Lothrop HD, Wheeler SS, Kennsington M, Gutierrez A, Fang Y, Persistent West Nile virus transmission and the apparent displacement St. Louis encephalitis virus in southeastern California, 2003–2006. J Med Entomol. 2008;45:494–508.
- Bigler BS. St. Louis encephalitis. 1999 [cited 2008 Jul 1]. Available from http://www.doh.state.fl.us/disease_ctrl/epi/htopics/reports/slepres2.pdf
- Nelson DB, Kappus KD, Janowski HT, Buff E, Wellings FM, Schneider NJ. St. Louis encephalitis—Florida 1977. Patterns of a widespread outbreak. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1983;32:412–6.
- Day JF. Predicting St. Louis encephalitis virus epidemics: lessons from recent, and not so recent, outbreaks. Annu Rev Entomol. 2001;46:111–38.
- Reisen WK, Presser SB, Lin J, Enge B, Hardy JL, Emmons RW. Viremia and serological responses in adult chickens infected with western equine encephalomyelitis and St. Louis encephalitis viruses. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 1994;10:549–55.
- Kramer LD, Chandler LJ. Phylogenic analysis of the envelope gene of St. Louis encephalitis virus. Arch Virol. 2001;146:2341–55.
- Florida Department of Health. Arbovirus surveillance: annual and laboratory reports, 1999–2007 [cited 2008 Jul 1]. Available from http://www.doh.state.fl.us/ENVIRONMENT/community/arboviral/survey-info.htm
- Blackmore CG, Stark LM, Jeter WC, Oliveri RL, Brooks RG, Conti LA, Surveillance results from the first West Nile virus transmission season in Florida, 2001. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;69:141–50.
- Ciota AT, Lovelace AO, Ngo KA, Le AN, Maffei JG, Franke MA, Cell-specific adaptation of two flaviviruses following serial passage in mosquito cell culture. Virology. 2007;357:165–74.
- Lanciotti RS, Kerst AJ. Nucleic acid sequence-based amplification assays for rapid detection of West Nile and St. Louis encephalitis viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:4506–13.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:1596–9.
- May FJ, Li L, Zhang S, Guzman H, Beasley DW, Tesh RB, Genetic variation of St. Louis encephalitis virus. J Gen Virol. 2008;89:1901–10.
Page created: December 10, 2010
Page updated: December 10, 2010
Page reviewed: December 10, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.