Volume 16, Number 3—March 2010
Economic Cost Analysis of West Nile Virus Outbreak, Sacramento County, California, USA, 2005
|Productivity loss||Value of work day missed†||Value of nonwork day missed‡||No. work days missed||No. nonwork days missed||No. patients
||% Cases||Total costs for all cases|
|For patients <60 y||$191||$125||50||10||31||100||$334,800|
|For patients >60 y||$125||60||15||100||$112,500|
- California Department of Health Services. Division of Communicable Disease Control. West Nile activity in California, 2005 [cited 2008 Nov 28]. http://www.westnile.ca.gov/reports.php?report_category_id=8
- California Department of Public Health. Mosquito and Vector Control Association of California; University of California. California mosquito-borne virus surveillance and response plan [cited 2008 Nov 28]. http://www.westnile.ca.gov/resources.php
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Human West Nile virus (WNV) cases in California, 2005 (reported as of 03/30/2006) [cited 2008 Nov 5]. http://www.westnile.ca.gov/website/maps_data/2005_maps_data/2005%20Human%20WNV%20Case%20Linelist.pdf
- Marfin AA, Gubler DJ. West Nile encephalitis: an emerging disease in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;33:1713–9.
- Elnaiem DE, Kelley K, Wright S, Laffey R, Yoshimura G, Reed M, Impact of aerial spraying of pyrethrin insecticide on Culex pipiens and Culex tarsalis (Diptera: Culicidae) abundance and West Nile virus infection rates in an urban/suburban area of Sacramento County, California. J Med Entomol. 2008;45:751–7.
- Carney RM, Husted S, Jean C, Glaser C, Kramer V. Efficacy of aerial spraying of mosquito adulticide in reducing incidence of West Nile virus, California, 2005. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:747–54.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. West Nile virus: clinical description [cited 2008 Dec 15]. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/clinicians/clindesc.htm#diag
- Petersen LR, Martin AA, Gubler DJ. West Nile virus. JAMA. 2003;290:524–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. West Nile virus: media facts [cited 2009 Mar 23]. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/resources/FightTheBite_FactSheet/MediaTools/print/WNV%20media%20factsheet_natnl.pdf
- Zohrabian A, Meltzer MI, Ratard R, Billah K, Molinari NA, Roy K, West Nile virus economic impact, Louisiana, 2002. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:1736–44.
- Zohrabian A, Hayes EB, Petersen LR. Cost-effectiveness of West Nile virus vaccination. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:375–80.
- State of California Department of Industrial Regulations. California code of regulations. Title 8, CCR §9789.23. Hospital cost to charge ratios, hospital specific outliers, and hospital composite factors [cited 2010 Jan 15]. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/OMFS_Inpatient/OMFS_Inpatient_table9789_23.pdf
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor. Consumer Price Index, 2003 [cited 2010 Jan 15]. http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid03av.pdf
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor. Consumer Price Index, 2004 [cited 2010 Jan 15]. http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid04av.pdf
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor. Consumer Price Index, 2005 [cited 2010 Jan 15]. http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid05av.pdf
- MetLife Mature Market Institute. MetLife, Inc. The MetLife market survey of nursing home and home care costs [cited 2008 Nov 6]. http://www.metlife.com/WPSAssets/41453139101127828650V1F2005%20NH%20and%20HC%20Market%20Survey.pdf
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor. Sacramento–Yolo, CA, National Compensation Survey, July 2005. Bulletin 3130–48 [cited 2008 Nov 8]. http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ocs/sp/ncbl0789.pdf
- Grosse SD. Appendix I. Productivity loss tables. In: Haddix AC, Teutsch SM, Corso PS, editors. Prevention effectiveness, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2003. p. 255–7.
- Brown E, Beauregard K. Statistical brief #157. Regional differences in total and out-of-pocket expenditures for selected types of office-based visits, 2004. Rockville (MD): Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2007 [cited 2010 Jan 15]. http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/data_files/publications/st157/stat157.pdf
- Palmisano CT, Taylor V, Caillouet K, Byrd B, Wesson DM. Impact of West Nile virus outbreak upon St. Tammany Parish mosquito abatement district. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2005;21:33–8.
- Simpson JE. Emergency mosquito aerial spray response to the 2004 Florida hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne: an overview of control results. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2006;22:457–63.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epidemic/epizootic West Nile virus in the United States: guidelines for surveillance, prevention, and control. Reported as of 2003 Aug. Fort Collins (CO): The Centers; 2003 [cited 2009 Mar 23]. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/resources/wnv-guidelines-aug-2003.pdf
- Peleman RA. New and re-emerging infectious diseases: epidemics in waiting. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2004;17:265–70.
- Antwi FB, Shama LM, Peterson RKD. Risk assessments for the insect repellents DEET and picaridin. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2008;51:31–6.
- John KH, Stoll JR, Olson JK. An economic assessment of the benefits of mosquito abatement in an organized mosquito control district. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 1987;3:8–14.
- Busch MP, Wright DJ, Custer B, Tobler LH, Stramer SL, Kleinman SH, West Nile virus infections projected from blood donor screening data, United States, 2003. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:395–402.
- Peterson RK, Macedo PA, Davis RS. A human-health risk assessment for West Nile virus and insecticides used in mosquito management. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:366–72.
- Davis RS, Peterson RK, Macedo PA. An ecological risk assessment for insecticides used in adult mosquito management. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2007;3:373–82.
- Schleier JJ III, Macedo PA, Davis RS, Shama LM, Peterson RKD. A two-dimensional probabilistic acute human-health risk assessment of insecticide exposure after adult mosquito management. Stochastic Environ Res Risk Assess. 2009;23:555–63.
- Schleier JJ III, Davis RS, Barber LM, Macedo PA, Peterson RK. A probabilistic risk assessment for deployed military personnel after the implementation of the “Leishmaniasis Control Program” at Tallil Air Base, Iraq. J Med Entomol. 2009;46:693–702.
- Schleier JJ III, Peterson RK, Macedo PA, Brown DA. Environmental concentrations, fate, and risk assessment of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide after aerial ultralow-volume applications for adult mosquito management. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2008;27:1063–8.
- Suffolk County Department of Public Works and Department of Health Services. Draft generic environmental impact statement [cited 2009 Mar 1]. http://www.suffolkmosquitocontrolplan.org/tasks/task14.html
- Carr WC, Iyer P, Gammon DW. A dietary risk assessment of the pyrethroid insecticide resmethrin associated with its use for West Nile virus mosquito vector control in California. ScientificWorldJournal. 2006;6:279–90.
- New York City Department of Health. Adult mosquito control programs: environmental impact statement (EIS). New York: The Department; 2001 [cited 2009 Mar 1]. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/wnv/feis.shtml
Page created: December 14, 2010
Page updated: December 14, 2010
Page reviewed: December 14, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.