Volume 18, Number 10—October 2012
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Epidemiology of Foodborne Norovirus Outbreaks, United States, 2001–2008
Estimated annual outbreak-associated illnesses*
|Age group, y|
Health care provider visit
|Total Illnesses||10,324 (100)||35.2|
*Proportions of illnesses by age, sex, and outcomes among outbreaks for which such data were reported were extrapolated to all reported foodborne norovirus outbreak–associated illnesses.
†Reported rate per 1,000,000 person-years calculated by dividing the number of illnesses by the corresponding US intercensal estimate at the study period midpoint (July 2004) (23).
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson M-A, Roy SL, Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:7–15.
- Batz MB, Hoffmann S, Morris JG Jr. Ranking the risks: the 10 pathogen-food combinations with the greatest burden on public health: University of Florida; 2011 [cited 2012 Jul 26]. http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/72267report.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:609–15.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:973–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1197–202.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Updated norovirus outbreak management and disease prevention guidelines. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011;60(RR-3):1–18.
- Zheng DP, Widdowson MA, Glass RI, Vinje J. Molecular epidemiology of genogroup II–genotype 4 noroviruses in the United States between 1994 and 2006. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:168–77.
- Teunis PF, Moe CL, Liu P, Miller SE, Lindesmith L, Baric RS, Norwalk virus: how infectious is it? J Med Virol. 2008;80:1468–76.
- Atmar RL, Opekun AR, Gilger MA, Estes MK, Crawford SE, Neill FH, Norwalk virus shedding after experimental human infection. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1553–7.
- Aoki Y, Suto A, Mizuta K, Ahiko T, Osaka K, Matsuzaki Y. Duration of norovirus excretion and the longitudinal course of viral load in norovirus-infected elderly patients. J Hosp Infect. 2010;75:42–6.
- Cheesbrough JS, Barkess-Jones L, Brown DW. Possible prolonged environmental survival of small round structured viruses. J Hosp Infect. 1997;35:325–6.
- Seitz SR, Leon JS, Schwab KJ, Lyon GM, Dowd M, McDaniels M, Norovirus infectivity in humans and persistence in water. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:6884–8.
- Park GW, Barclay L, Macinga D, Charbonneau D, Pettigrew CA, Vinje J. Comparative efficacy of seven hand sanitizers against murine norovirus, feline calicivirus and GII.4 norovirus. J Food Prot. 2010;73:2232–8.
- Park GW, Sobsey MD. Simultaneous comparison of murine norovirus, feline calicivirus, coliphage MS2, and GII.4 norovirus to evaluate the efficacy of sodium hypochlorite against human norovirus on a fecally soiled stainless steel surface. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2011;8:1005–10.
- Lynch M, Painter J, Woodruff R, Braden C. Surveillance for foodborne-disease outbreaks—United States, 1998–2002. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2006;55:1–42.
- Falkenhorst G, Krusell L, Lisby M, Madsen SB, Bottiger B, Molbak K. Imported frozen raspberries cause a series of norovirus outbreaks in Denmark, 2005. Euro Surveill. 2005;10:E050922.2.
- Westrell T, Dusch V, Ethelberg S, Harris J, Hjertqvist M, Jourdan-da Silva N, Norovirus outbreaks linked to oyster consumption in the United Kingdom, Norway, France, Sweden and Denmark, 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010;15:19524.
- Maalouf H, Schaeffer J, Parnaudeau S, Le Pendu J, Atmar RL, Crawford SE, Strain-dependent norovirus bioaccumulation in oysters. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:3189–96.
- Widdowson MA, Sulka A, Bulens SN, Beard RS, Chaves SS, Hammond R, Norovirus and foodborne disease, United States, 1991–2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:95–102.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Foodborne disease outbreak surveillance. September 2011 [cited 2012 Jul 13]. http://www.cdc.gov/outbreaknet/surveillance_data.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Electronic Foodborne Outbreak Reporting System: investigation of a foodborne outbreak (CDC form 52.13). November 2004 [cited 2012 Feb 22]. http://www.cdc.gov/outbreaknet/toolkit/efors_form.pdf
- Turcios RM, Widdowson MA, Sulka AC, Mead PS, Glass RI. Reevaluation of epidemiological criteria for identifying outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis due to norovirus: United States, 1998–2000. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:964–9.
- National Center for Health Statistics. Postcensal estimates of the resident population of the United States for July 1, 2000–July 1, 2009, by year, county, age, bridged race, Hispanic origin, and sex (Vintage 2009). June 20, 2010 [cited 2011 May 11]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/bridged_race.htm
- Painter JA, Ayers T, Woodruff R, Blanton E, Perez N, Hoekstra RM, Recipes for foodborne outbreaks: a scheme for categorizing and grouping implicated foods. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2009;6:1259–64.
- Phillips G, Tam CC, Rodrigues LC, Lopman B. Prevalence and characteristics of asymptomatic norovirus infection in the community in England. Epidemiol Infect. 2010;138:1454–8.
- Todd EC, Greig JD, Bartleson CA, Michaels BS. Outbreaks where food workers have been implicated in the spread of foodborne disease. Part 5. Sources of contamination and pathogen excretion from infected persons. J Food Prot. 2008;71:2582–95.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Food code, 2005 [cited 2012 Jul 26]. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/FoodCode2009/default.htm
- Le Guyader FS, Atmar RL, Le Pendu J. Transmission of viruses through shellfish: when specific ligands come into play. Curr Opin Virol. 2012;2:103–10.
- Ethelberg S, Lisby M, Bottiger B, Schultz AC, Villif A, Jensen T, Outbreaks of gastroenteritis linked to lettuce, Denmark, January 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010;15:19484.
- Baert L, Mattison K, Loisy-Hamon F, Harlow J, Martyres A, Lebeau B, Review: norovirus prevalence in Belgian, Canadian and French fresh produce: a threat to human health? Int J Food Microbiol. 2011;151:261–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Food safety epidemiology capacity in state health departments—United States, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1701–4.
- Biggerstaff GK, Wright JG, Mitchell JR. FoodCORE: foodborne diseases centers for outbreak response enhancement—improving foodborne disease outbreak response capacity in state and local health departments. In: 2012 International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases program and abstracts book, March 11–14, Atlanta, Georgia, USA [cited 2012 Jul 26]. http://www.iceid.org/images/iceid_2012_finalprogram_final.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Norovirus activity—United States, 2006–2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56:842–6.
- Yen C, Wikswo ME, Lopman BA, Vinje J, Parashar UD, Hall AJ. Impact of an emergent norovirus variant in 2009 on norovirus outbreak activity in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:568–71.
- Lopman BA, Hall AJ, Curns AT, Parashar UD. Increasing rates of gastroenteritis hospital discharges in US adults and the contribution of norovirus, 1996–2007. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:466–74.
- Hall AJ, Curns AT, McDonald LC, Parashar UD, Lopman BA. The roles of Clostridium difficile and norovirus among gastroenteritis-associated deaths in the United States, 1999–2007. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:216–23.
- Vega E, Barclay L, Gregoricus N, Williams K, Lee D, Vinje J. Novel surveillance network for norovirus gastroenteritis outbreaks, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1389–95.
- Manikonda KL, Wikswo ME, Roberts VA, Richardson L, Gould LH, Yoder JS, The national outbreak reporting system: preliminary results of the first year of surveillance for multiple modes of transmission—United States, 2009. In: 2012 International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases program and abstracts book, March 11–14, Atlanta, Georgia, USA [cited 2012 Jul 26]. http://www.iceid.org/images/iceid_2012_finalprogram_final.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Voluntary Environmental Assessment Information System (NVEAIS). December 2011 [cited 2012 April 3]. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/EHSNet/resources/nveais.htm
- Atmar RL, Bernstein DI, Harro CD, Al-Ibrahim MS, Chen WH, Ferreira J, Norovirus vaccine against experimental human Norwalk virus illness. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2178–87.