Volume 18, Number 12—December 2012
CME ACTIVITY - Dispatch
Enterovirus 71–associated Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease, Southern Vietnam, 2011
- Tu PV, Thao NT, Perera D, Huu TK, Tien NT, Thuong TC, Epidemiologic and virologic investigation of hand, foot, and mouth disease, southern Vietnam, 2005. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1733–41.
- Mizuta K, Abiko C, Murata T, Matsuzaki Y, Itagaki T, Sanjoh K, Frequent importation of enterovirus 71 from surrounding countries into the local community of Yamagata, Japan, between 1998 and 2003. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:6171–5.
- Ooi MH, Wong SC, Podin Y, Akin W, del Sel S, Mohan A, Human enterovirus 71 disease in Sarawak, Malaysia: a prospective clinical, virological, and molecular epidemiological study. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:646–56.
- World Health Organization. Hand, foot and mouth disease situation update, 9 August 2012. [cited 2012 Aug 10]. http://www.wpro.who.int/emerging_diseases/HFMD/en/index.html
- Huang CC, Liu CC, Chang YC, Chen CY, Wang ST, Yeh TF. Neurologic complications in children with enterovirus 71 infection. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:936–42.
- Beld M, Minnaar R, Weel J, Sol C, Damen M, van der Avoort H, Highly sensitive assay for detection of enterovirus in clinical specimens by reverse transcription–PCR with an armored RNA internal control. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:3059–64.
- Thao NT. Hand, foot and mouth disease—Viet Nam (03): Ho Chi Minh City. ProMed. 2011 Jun 6 [cited 2012 Aug 1]. http://www.promedmail.org, archive no. 20110607.1739.
- Lin KH, Hwang KP, Ke GM, Wang CF, Ke LY, Hsu YT, Evolution of EV71 genogroup in Taiwan from 1998 to 2005: an emerging of subgenogroup C4 of EV71. J Med Virol. 2006;78:254–62.
- McWilliam Leitch EC, Cabrerizo M, Cardosa J, Harvala H, Ivanova OE, Koike S, The association of recombination events in the founding and emergence of subgenogroup evolutionary lineages of human enterovirus 71. J Virol. 2012;86:2676–85.
- Tee KK, Lam TT, Chan YF, Bible JM, Kamarulzaman A, Tong CY, Evolutionary genetics of human enterovirus 71: origin, population dynamics, natural selection, and seasonal periodicity of the VP1 gene. J Virol. 2010;84:3339–50.
- Mizuta K, Aoki Y, Suto A, Ootani K, Katsushima N, Itagaki T, Cross-antigenicity among EV71 strains from different genogroups isolated in Yamagata, Japan, between 1990 and 2007. Vaccine. 2009;27:3153–8.
- Tran CB, Nguyen HT, Phan HT, Tran NV, Wills B, Farrar J, The seroprevalence and seroincidence of enterovirus71 infection in infants and children in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21116.
- Lu CY, Lee CY, Kao CL, Shao WY, Lee PI, Twu SJ, Incidence and case-fatality rates resulting from the 1998 enterovirus 71 outbreak in Taiwan. J Med Virol. 2002;67:217–23.