Volume 18, Number 8—August 2012
Severe Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis Transmitted by Blood Transfusion
- Chen SM, Dumler JS, Bakken JS, Walker DH. Identification of a granulocytotropic Ehrlichia species as the etiologic agent of human disease. J Clin Microbiol. 1994;32:589–95.
- Petrovec M, Lotric-Furlan S, Avsic-Zupanc T, Strle F, Brouqui P, Roux V, Human disease in Europe caused by a granulocytic Ehrlichia species. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:1556–9.
- Zhang L, Liu Y, Ni D, Li Q, Yu Y, Yu KY, Nosocomial transmission of human granulocytic anaplasmosis in China. JAMA. 2008;300:2263–70.
- Horowitz HW, Kilchevsky E, Haber S, Aguero-Rosenfeld M, Kranwinkel R, James EK, Perinatal transmission of the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:375–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Anaplasma phagocytophilum transmitted through blood transfusion—Minnesota, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57:1145–8.
- van Dobbenburgh A, van Dam AP, Fikriq E. Human granulocytic ehrlichiosis in western Europe. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1214–6.
- Bakken JS, Krueth J, Wilson-Nordskoq C, Tilden RL, Asanovich K, Dumler JS. Clinical and laboratory characteristics of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis. JAMA. 1996;275:199–205.
- Lotrič-Furlan S, Rojko T, Petrovec M, Avsic Zupanc T, Strle F. Epidemiological, clinical and laboratory characteristics of patients with human granulocytic anaplasmosis in Slovenia. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2006;118:708–13.
- Dumler JS, Madiqan JE, Pusterla N, Bakken JS. Ehrlichiosis in humans: epidemiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45(suppl1):S45–51.
- Brouqui P, Bacellar F, Baranton G, Birtles RJ, Bjoersdorff A, Blanco JR, Guidelines for the diagnosis of tick-borne bacterial diseases in Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2004;10:1108–32.
- Remy V, Hansmann Y, De Martino S, Christmann D, Brouqui P. Human anaplasmosis presenting as atypical pneumonitis in France. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:846–8.
- Bakken JS, Krueth JK, Lund T, Malkovitch D, Asanovich K, Dumler JS. Exposure to deer blood may be a cause of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;23:198.
- Kalantarpour F, Chowdhury I, Wormser GP, Aquero-Rosenfeld ME. Survival of the human granulocytic ehrlichiosis agent under refrigeration conditions. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:2398–9.
Page created: July 19, 2012
Page updated: July 19, 2012
Page reviewed: July 19, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.