Volume 20, Number 1—January 2014
Progenitor “Mycobacterium canettii” Clone Responsible for Lymph Node Tuberculosis Epidemic, Djibouti
- Fabre M, Hauck Y, Soler C, Koeck JL, van Ingen J, van Soolingen D, Molecular characteristics of “Mycobacterium canettii” the smooth Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacilli. Infect Genet Evol. 2010;10:1165–73.
- Koeck JL, Fabre M, Simon F, Daffe M, Garnotel E, Matan AB, Clinical characteristics of the smooth tubercle bacilli “Mycobacterium canettii” infection suggest the existence of an environmental reservoir. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:1013–9.
- Fabre M, Koeck JL, Le Fleche P, Simon F, Herve V, Vergnaud G, High genetic diversity revealed by variable-number tandem repeat genotyping and analysis of hsp65 gene polymorphism in a large collection of “Mycobacterium canettii” strains indicates that the M. tuberculosis complex is a recently emerged clone of “M. canettii.” J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:3248–55. PMID: 15243089
- Gutierrez MC, Brisse S, Brosch R, Fabre M, Omais B, Marmiesse M, Ancient origin and gene mosaicism of the progenitor of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog. 2005;1:e5.
- Yajko DM, Nassos PS, Sanders CA, Gonzalez PC, Reingold AL, Horsburgh CR Jr, Comparison of four decontamination methods for recovery of Mycobacterium avium complex from stools. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:302–6.
- Blouin Y, Hauck Y, Soler C, Fabre M, Vong R, Dehan C, Significance of the identification in the Horn of Africa of an exceptionally deep branching Mycobacterium tuberculosis clade. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52841.
- Croucher NJ, Harris SR, Fraser C, Quail MA, Burton J, van der Linden M, Rapid pneumococcal evolution in response to clinical interventions. Science. 2011;331:430–4.
- van Embden JD, van Gorkom T, Kremer K, Jansen R, van Der Zeijst BA, Schouls LM. Genetic variation and evolutionary origin of the direct repeat locus of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex bacteria. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:2393–401.
- Grissa I, Vergnaud G, Pourcel C. CRISPRFinder: a web tool to identify clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:W52–7.
- Grissa I, Vergnaud G, Pourcel C. CRISPRcompar: a website to compare clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:W145–8.
- Comas I, Chakravartti J, Small PM, Galagan J, Niemann S, Kremer K, Human T cell epitopes of Mycobacterium tuberculosis are evolutionarily hyperconserved. Nat Genet. 2010;42:498–503.
- Castillo-Ramírez S, Harris SR, Holden MT, He M, Parkhill J, Bentley SD, The impact of recombination on dN/dS within recently emerged bacterial clones. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002129.
- Gutacker MM, Smoot JC, Migliaccio CA, Ricklefs SM, Hua S, Cousins DV, Genome-wide analysis of synonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms in Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex organisms: resolution of genetic relationships among closely related microbial strains. Genetics. 2002;162:1533–43.
- Rocha EP, Smith JM, Hurst LD, Holden MT, Cooper JE, Smith NH, Comparisons of dN/dS are time dependent for closely related bacterial genomes. J Theor Biol. 2006;239:226–35.
- Gie RP, Beyers N, Schaaf HS, Goussard P. The challenge of diagnosing tuberculosis in children: a perspective from a high incidence area. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2004;5(Suppl A):S147–9.
- Feuerriegel S, Koser CU, Richter E, Niemann S. Mycobacterium canettii is intrinsically resistant to both pyrazinamide and pyrazinoic acid. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:1439–40.
- Fontanilla JM, Barnes A, von Reyn CF. Current diagnosis and management of peripheral tuberculous lymphadenitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:555–62.
- Gray TA, Krywy JA, Harold J, Palumbo MJ, Derbyshire KM. Distributive conjugal transfer in mycobacteria generates progeny with meiotic-like genome-wide mosaicism, allowing mapping of a mating identity locus. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001602.
- Gardy JL, Johnston JC, Ho Sui SJ, Cook VJ, Shah L, Brodkin E, Whole-genome sequencing and social-network analysis of a tuberculosis outbreak. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:730–9.
- Roetzer A, Diel R, Kohl TA, Ruckert C, Nubel U, Blom J, Whole genome sequencing versus traditional genotyping for investigation of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis outbreak: a longitudinal molecular epidemiological study. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001387.
- Mba Medie F, Ben Salah I, Henrissat B, Raoult D, Drancourt M. Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex mycobacteria as amoeba-resistant organisms. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20499.
- Smith NH, Hewinson RG, Kremer K, Brosch R, Gordon SV. Myths and misconceptions: the origin and evolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2009;7:537–44.
- Cui Y, Li Y, Gorge O, Platonov ME, Yan Y, Guo Z, Insight into microevolution of Yersinia pestis by clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2652.
Page created: January 03, 2014
Page updated: January 03, 2014
Page reviewed: January 03, 2014
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.