Volume 20, Number 5—May 2014
Chronic Wasting Disease Agents in Nonhuman Primates
|Disease incidence†||Inoculum‡||Route of inoculation||Titer inoculated§||Screening mpi¶||Current mpi|
|0/6||MD-1, Elk-1, WTD-1||Intracerebral||3.2 × 105–2.5 × 106||49, 79, 88, 94||124|
|0/8#||MD-1, Elk-1, WTD-1||Oral||2.5 × 108–2 × 109||97,106,106||124|
*An early version of some of these data are shown in Table 3 of (7). CWD, chronic wasting disease; mpi, months post-inoculation; MD, mule deer; WTD, white-tailed deer; SM, squirrel monkey; NA, not applicable.
†Number of monkeys in which prion disease developed over number inoculated.
‡Several different inocula were used for this study. Each individual animal was inoculated with 1 inoculum. Detailed descriptions can be found in (7).
§Infectivity titers were determined by using endpoint dilution titer in transgenic mice expressing deer prion protein (PrPres) and are listed as 50% infectious dose per gram of brain.
¶Several monkeys were euthanized during the course of the experiment for conditions unrelated to prion infection such as diabetes, neoplasia, hypocalcemia, and behavioral issues. Brain, spleen, and lymph nodes from these animals were screened for PrPres by using Western blot and immunohistochemical methods. No PrPres-positive tissues were detected.
#One monkey from the original oral inoculation group was euthanized at 1 mpi because of a colonic torsion and has been removed from this group.
- Saunders SE, Bartelt-Hunt SL, Bartz JC. Occurrence, transmission, and zoonotic potential of chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:369–76 and.
- Gilch S, Chitoor N, Taguchi Y, Stuart M, Jewell JE, Schatzl HM. Chronic wasting disease. Top Curr Chem. 2011;305:51–77 and.
- Kong Q, Huang S, Zou W, Vanegas D, Wang M, Wu D, Chronic wasting disease of elk: transmissibility to humans examined by transgenic mouse models. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7944–9 and.
- Tamgüney G, Giles K, Bouzamondo-Bernstein E, Bosque PJ, Miller MW, Safar J, Transmission of elk and deer prions to transgenic mice. J Virol. 2006;80:9104–14 and.
- Sandberg MK, Al-Doujaily H, Sigurdson CJ, Glatzel M, O'Malley C, Powell C, Chronic wasting disease prions are not transmissible to transgenic mice overexpressing human prion protein. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:2651–7 and.
- Wilson R, Plinston C, Hunter N, Casalone C, Corona C, Tagliavini F, Chronic wasting disease and atypical forms of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and scrapie are not transmissible to mice expressing wild-type levels of human prion protein. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:1624–9 and.
- Race B, Meade-White KD, Miller MW, Barbian KD, Rubenstein R, LaFauci G, Susceptibilities of nonhuman primates to chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1366–76 and.
- Lloyd S, Mead S, Collinge J. Genetics of prion disease. Top Curr Chem. 2011;305:1–22 and.
- Herzog C, Riviere J, Lescoutra-Etchegaray N, Charbonnier A, Leblanc V, Sales N, PrPTSE distribution in a primate model of variant, sporadic, and iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. J Virol. 2005;79:14339–45 and.
- Lasmézas CI, Deslys JP, Demaimay R, Adjou KT, Lamoury F, Dormont D, BSE transmission to macaques. Nature. 1996;381:743–4 and.
- Ono F, Terao K, Tase N, Hiyaoka A, Ohyama A, Tezuka Y, Experimental transmission of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) to cynomolgus macaques, a non-human primate. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2011;64:50–4 .
- Brown P, Gibbs CJ Jr, Rodgers-Johnson P, Asher DM, Sulima MP, Bacote A, Human spongiform encephalopathy: the National Institutes of Health series of 300 cases of experimentally transmitted disease. Ann Neurol. 1994;35:513–29 and.
- Raymond GJ, Bossers A, Raymond LD, O'Rourke KI, McHolland LE, Bryant PK III, Evidence of a molecular barrier limiting susceptibility of humans, cattle and sheep to chronic wasting disease. EMBO J. 2000;19:4425–30 and.
- Belay ED, Maddox RA, Williams ES, Miller MW, Gambetti P, Schonberger LB. Chronic wasting disease and potential transmission to humans. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:977–84 and.
- MaWhinney S. Pape WJ, Forster JE, Anderson CA, Bosque P, Miller MW. Human prion disease and relative risk associated with chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1527–35 and.