Volume 21, Number 12—December 2015
Sindbis and Middelburg Old World Alphaviruses Associated with Neurologic Disease in Horses, South Africa
- Calisher CH, Karabatsos N. Arbovirus serogroups: definition and geographic distribution. In: Monath TP, editor. The arboviruses: epidemiology and ecology. Baca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 1988. p. 19–57.
- Forrester NL, Palacios G, Tesh RB, Savji N, Guzman H, Sherman M, Genome-scale phylogeny of the alphavirus genus suggests a marine origin. J Virol. 2012;86:2729–38.
- Lewthwaite P, Vasanthapuram R, Osborne JC, Begum A, Plank JL, Shankar MV, Chikungunya virus and central nervous system infections in children, India. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:329–31.
- Weaver SC, Winegar R, Manger ID, Forrester NL. Alphaviruses: population genetics and determinants of emergence. Antiviral Res. 2012;94:242–57.
- Venter M, Human S, Zaayman D, Gerdes GH, Williams J, Steyl J, Lineage 2 West Nile virus as cause of fatal neurologic disease in horses, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:877–84.
- van Eeden C, Williams JH, Gerdes TG, van Wilpe E, Viljoen A, Swanepoel R, Shuni virus as cause of neurologic disease in horses. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:318–21.
- van Eeden C, Swanepoel R, Venter M. Antibodies against West Nile and Shuni Viruses in Veterinarians, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1409–11.
- Lloyd G. Alphaviruses. In: Zuckerman AJ, Banatvala JE, Griffiths PD, Schoub B, Mortimer P, editors. Principles and practices of clinical virology. West-Sussex (UK): Wiley-Blackwell; 2009. p. 643–68.
- Storm N, Weyer J, Markotter W, Kemp A, Leman PA, Dermaux-Msimang V, Human cases of Sindbis fever in South Africa, 2006–2010. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:234–8.
- Sánchez-Seco MP, Rosario D, Quiroz E, Guzmán G, Tenorio A. A generic nested-RT-PCR followed by sequencing for detection and identification of members of the alphavirus genus. J Virol Methods. 2001;95:153–61.
- van Eeden C, Harders F, Kortekaas J, Bossers A, Venter M. Genomic and phylogenetic characterization of Shuni virus. Arch Virol. 2014;159:2883–92.
- Attoui H, Sailleau C, Mohd Jaafar F, Belhouchet M, Biagini P, Cantaloube JF, Complete nucleotide sequence of Middelburg virus, isolated from the spleen of a horse with severe clinical disease in Zimbabwe. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:3078–88.
- Williams JH, van Niekerk S, Human S, van Wilpe E, Venter M. Pathology of fatal lineage 1 and 2 West Nile virus infections in horses in South Africa. J S Afr Vet Assoc. 2014;85:1105.
- McIntosh BM. The epidemiology of arthropod-borne viruses in Southern Africa [dissertation]. Pretoria (SA): University of Pretoria; 1980.
Page created: November 17, 2015
Page updated: November 17, 2015
Page reviewed: November 17, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.