Volume 21, Number 4—April 2015
Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhi, Gulf of Guinea Region, Africa
- Buckle GC, Walker CL, Black RE. Typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever: systematic review to estimate global morbidity and mortality for 2010. J Glob Health. 2012;2:010401.
- Roumagnac P, Weill FX, Dolecek C, Baker S, Brisse S, Chinh NT, Evolutionary history of Salmonella Typhi. Science. 2006;314:1301–4.
- Holt KE, Parkhill J, Mazzoni CJ, Roumagnac P, Weill FX, Goodhead I, High-throughput sequencing provides insights into genome variation and evolution in Salmonella Typhi. Nat Genet. 2008;40:987–93.
- Phan MD, Kidgell C, Nair S, Holt KE, Turner AK, Hinds J, Variation in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi IncHI1 plasmids during the global spread of resistant typhoid fever. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:716–27.
- Holt KE, Phan MD, Baker S, Duy PT, Nga TV, Nair S, Emergence of a globally dominant IncHI1 plasmid type associated with multiple drug resistant typhoid. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1245.
- Kariuki S, Revathi G, Kiiru J, Mengo DM, Mwituria J, Muyodi J, Typhoid in Kenya is associated with a dominant multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi haplotype that is also widespread in Southeast Asia. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:2171–6.
- Akinyemi KO, Coker AO. Trends of antibiotic resistance in Salmonella enterica serovar typhi isolated from hospitalized patients from 1997 to 2004 in Lagos, Nigeria. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2007;25:436–7.
- Mills-Robertson F, Addy ME, Mensah P, Crupper SS. Molecular characterization of antibiotic resistance in clinical Salmonella typhi isolated in Ghana. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;215:249–53.
- Gross U, Amuzu SK, de Ciman R, Kassimova I, Gross L, Rabsch W, Bacteremia and antimicrobial drug resistance over time, Ghana. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1879–82.
- Dagnra AY, Akolly K, Gbadoe A, Aho K, David M. Emergence of multidrug resistant Salmonella strains in Lome (Togo) [in French]. Med Mal Infect. 2007;37:266–9.
- Lunguya O, Lejon V, Phoba MF, Bertrand S, Vanhoof R, Verhaegen J, . Salmonella Typhi in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: fluoroquinolone decreased susceptibility on the rise. EPLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012; 6:e1921. Doe: . Pub 2012 Nov 5.
- Cooke FJ, Day M, Wain J, Ward LR, Threlfall EJ. Cases of typhoid fever imported to England, Scotland and Wales (2000–2003). Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101:398–404.
- Loury P, Tillaut H, Faisant M, Paillereau N, Marquis M, Mari C, Cluster of typhoid fever cases in Ille-et-Vilaine (France), April 2009 [in French]. Bull Epidémiol Hebd. 2010;44:446–8.
- Le Hello S, Harrois D, Bouchrif B, Sontag L, Elhani D, Guibert V, Highly drug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Kentucky ST198-X1: a microbiological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:672–9.
- Fabre L, Le Hello S, Roux C, Issenhuth-Jeanjean S, Weill FX. CRISPR is an optimal target for the design of specific PCR assays for Salmonella enterica serotypes Typhi and Paratyphi A. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2014;8:e2671 .
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
2Current affiliation: University of Limoges, Limoges, France.
3Current affiliation: Rockefeller University, New York, New York, USA.
4Current affiliation: Institute Pasteur de Dakar, Dakar, Senegal.
Page created: March 17, 2015
Page updated: March 17, 2015
Page reviewed: March 17, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.