Volume 21, Number 7—July 2015
Monitoring of Ebola Virus Makona Evolution through Establishment of Advanced Genomic Capability in Liberia
|Sample ID||Coverage, %*||No. reads||Finishing category†||GenBank accession no.|
*Percentage of genome bases (of 18,959 total bases) called in the consensus sequences (requires >3× coverage with base quality >20).
†Categories are defined in (19).
- Baize S, Pannetier D, Oestereich L, Rieger T, Koivogui L, Magassouba N, Emergence of Zaire Ebola virus disease in Guinea—preliminary report. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1418–25 .
- Hawkes N. Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, WHO warns. BMJ. 2014;349:g5089.
- Yozwiak NL, Schaffner SF, Sabeti PC. Data sharing: make outbreak research open access. Nature. 2015;518:477–9.
- World Health Organization. Ebola situation report—11 March 2015 [cited 2015 Mar 30]. http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-situation/ebola-situation-report-11-march-2015
- Chan M. WHO report by the Director-General to the special session of the Executive Board on Ebola [cited 2015 Mar 30]. http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2015/executive-board-ebola/en/
- Kugelman JR, Sanchez-Lockhart M, Andersen KG, Gire S, Park DJ, Sealfon R, Evaluation of the potential impact of Ebola virus genomic drift on the efficacy of sequence-based candidate therapeutics. MBio. 2015;6:e02227–14.
- Shuchman M. WHO enters new terrain in Ebola research. CMAJ. 2014;186:E527–8.
- Sayburn A. WHO gives go ahead for experimental treatments to be used in Ebola outbreak. BMJ. 2014;349:g5161.
- Trombley AR, Wachter L, Garrison J, Buckley-Beason VA, Jahrling J, Hensley LE, Comprehensive panel of real-time TaqMan polymerase chain reaction assays for detection and absolute quantification of filoviruses, arenaviruses, and New World hantaviruses. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;82:954–60.
- Kuhn JH, Andersen KG, Baize S, Bao Y, Bavari S, Berthet N, Nomenclature- and database-compatible names for the two Ebola virus variants that emerged in Guinea and the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2014. Viruses. 2014;6:4760–99.
- Djikeng A, Halpin R, Kuzmickas R, Depasse J, Feldblyum J, Sengamalay N, Viral genome sequencing by random priming methods. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:5.
- Gire SK, Goba A, Andersen KG, Sealfon RS, Park DJ, Kanneh L, Genomic surveillance elucidates Ebola virus origin and transmission during the 2014 outbreak. Science. 2014;345:1369–72.
- Martin M. Cutadapt removes adapter sequences from high-throughput sequencing reads. EMBnetjournal. 2011;17:10–2.
- Schmieder R, Edwards R. Quality control and preprocessing of metagenomic datasets. Bioinformatics. 2011;27:863–4.
- Li H, Handsaker B, Wysoker A, Fennell T, Ruan J, Homer N, The sequence alignment/map format and SAMtools. Bioinformatics. 2009;25:2078–9.
- Cingolani P, Platts A. Wang le L, Coon M, Nguyen T, Wang L, et al. A program for annotating and predicting the effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms, SnpEff: SNPs in the genome of Drosophila melanogaster strain w1118; iso-2; iso-3. Fly (Austin). 2012;6:80–92.
- Drummond AJ, Suchard MA, Xie D, Rambaut A. Bayesian phylogenetics with BEAUti and the BEAST 1.7. Mol Biol Evol. 2012;29:1969–73.
- Guindon S, Dufayard JF, Lefort V, Anisimova M, Hordijk W, Gascuel O. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML 3.0. Syst Biol. 2010;59:307–21.
- Ladner JT, Beitzel B, Chain PS, Davenport MG, Donaldson EF, Frieman M, Standards for sequencing viral genomes in the era of high-throughput sequencing. MBio. 2014;5:e01360–14.
- Geisbert TW, Lee AC, Robbins M, Geisbert JB, Honko AN, Sood V, Postexposure protection of non-human primates against a lethal Ebola virus challenge with RNA interference: a proof-of-concept study. Lancet. 2010;375:1896–905.
- Warren TK, Warfield KL, Wells J, Swenson DL, Donner KS, Van Tongeren SA, Advanced antisense therapies for postexposure protection against lethal filovirus infections. Nat Med. 2010;16:991–4.
- Qiu X, Audet J, Wong G, Fernando L, Bello A, Pillet S, Sustained protection against Ebola virus infection following treatment of infected nonhuman primates with ZMAb. Sci Rep. 2013;3:3365.
- Pettitt J, Zeitlin L, Kim DH, Working C, Johnson JC, Bohorov O, Therapeutic intervention of Ebola virus infection in rhesus macaques with the MB-003 monoclonal antibody cocktail. Sci Transl Med. 2013;5:199ra113. PMID: 23966302
- Qiu X, Wong G, Audet J, Bello A, Fernando L, Alimonti JB, Reversion of advanced Ebola virus disease in nonhuman primates with ZMapp. Nature. 2014;514:47–53 .
- Olinger GG Jr, Pettitt J, Kim D, Working C, Bohorov O, Bratcher B, Delayed treatment of Ebola virus infection with plant-derived monoclonal antibodies provides protection in rhesus macaques. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:18030–5.
- Dye JM, Herbert AS, Kuehne AI, Barth JF, Muhammad MA, Zak SE, Postexposure antibody prophylaxis protects nonhuman primates from filovirus disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5034–9.
- Heald AE, Iversen PL, Saoud JB, Sazani P, Charleston JS, Axtelle T, Safety and pharmacokinetic profiles of phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers with activity against Ebola virus and Marburg virus: results of two single-ascending-dose studies. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014;58:6639–47.
- Kuhn JH, Bao Y, Bavari S, Becker S, Bradfute S, Brister JR, Virus nomenclature below the species level: a standardized nomenclature for natural variants of viruses assigned to the family Filoviridae. Arch Virol. 2013;158:301–11.
- Rezler JP. Tekmira provides periodic update on TKM-Ebola program [cited 2015 Mar 30]. http://investor.tekmirapharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=877397
- Wilson JA, Hevey M, Bakken R, Guest S, Bray M, Schmaljohn AL, Epitopes involved in antibody-mediated protection from Ebola virus. Science. 2000;287:1664–6.
- Qiu X, Alimonti JB, Melito PL, Fernando L, Stroher U, Jones SM. Characterization of Zaire ebolavirus glycoprotein-specific monoclonal antibodies. Clin Immunol. 2011;141:218–27 .
- Towner JS, Paragas J, Dover JE, Gupta M, Goldsmith CS, Huggins JW, Generation of eGFP expressing recombinant Zaire ebolavirus for analysis of early pathogenesis events and high-throughput antiviral drug screening. Virology. 2005;332:20–7.
- Swenson DL, Warfield KL, Warren TK, Lovejoy C, Hassinger JN, Ruthel G, Chemical modifications of antisense morpholino oligomers enhance their efficacy against Ebola virus infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:2089–99.
- Geisbert TW, Hensley LE, Kagan E, Yu EZ, Geisbert JB, Daddario-DiCaprio K, Postexposure protection of guinea pigs against a lethal Ebola virus challenge is conferred by RNA interference. J Infect Dis. 2006;193:1650–7.
- Theriault S, Groseth A, Neumann G, Kawaoka Y, Feldmann H. Rescue of Ebola virus from cDNA using heterologous support proteins. Virus Res. 2004;106:43–50.
- Martínez MJ, Biedenkopf N, Volchkova V, Hartlieb B, Alazard-Dany N, Reynard O, Role of Ebola virus VP30 in transcription reinitiation. J Virol. 2008;82:12569–73.
- Biedenkopf N, Hartlieb B, Hoenen T, Becker S. Phosphorylation of Ebola virus VP30 influences the composition of the viral nucleocapsid complex: impact on viral transcription and replication. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:11165–74.
- Carroll SA, Towner JS, Sealy TK, McMullan LK, Khristova ML, Burt FJ, Molecular evolution of viruses of the family Filoviridae based on 97 whole-genome sequences. J Virol. 2013;87:2608–16.
- World Health Organization. Mali: details of the additional cases of Ebola virus disease [cited 2015 Mar 30]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/20-november-2014-mali/en/
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: June 12, 2015
Page updated: June 12, 2015
Page reviewed: June 12, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.