Volume 22, Number 1—January 2016
Hemagglutinin Gene Clade 3C.2a Influenza A(H3N2) Viruses, Alachua County, Florida, USA, 2014–15
|Age group, y||Influenza season||Region 3, % (95% CI)||Florida, % (95% CI)|
|5–17||2012–13||71 (67–76)||73 (68–78)|
|2013–14||73 (68–79)||77 (72–82)|
|0–4||2012–13||82 (79–86)||84 (80–87)|
|2013–14||85 (82–89)||88 (85–91)|
|2014–15||80 (77–84)||86 (83–89)|
*Estimates are based on reports of influenza-like illness from emergency departments reported through Florida’s Electronic Surveillance System for the Early Notification of Community-based Epidemics. See Tran et al. (11) for detailed methods. Region 3 and Florida are comparison areas, so they exclude Alachua County data.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vaccine effectiveness—how well does the flu vaccine work? [cited 2014 Nov 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Selected publications on influenza vaccine effectiveness [cited 2014 Nov 24]. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/publications.htm
- World Health Organization. Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2014–2015 Northern Hemisphere influenza season [cited 2014 Nov 24]. http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2014_15_north/en/
- World Health Organization. Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2015 Southern Hemisphere influenza season [cited 2014 Nov 24]. http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/201409_recommendation.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC presents updated estimates of flu vaccine effectiveness for the 2014–2015 season [cited 10/23/2015]. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/news/updated-vaccine-effectiveness-2014-15.htm
- Lednicky JA, Loeb JC. Detection and isolation of airborne influenza A H3N2 virus using a Sioutas Personal Cascade Impactor Sampler. Influenza Res Treat. 2013;2013:656825.
- World Health Organization. WHO information for molecular diagnosis of influenza virus in humans—update [cited 2014 Jun 5]. http://www.who.int/influenza/gisrs_laboratory/molecular_diagnosis_influenza_virus_humans_update_201403.pdf?ua=1
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Influenza virus characterization. Summary Europe, July 2014 [cited 10/23/2015]. http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/influenza-characterisation-report-july-2014.pdf
- Yamashita A, Kawashita N, Kubota-Koketsu R, Inoue Y, Watanabe Y, Ibrahim MS, Highly conserved sequences for human neutralization epitope on hemagglutinin of influenza A viruses H3N2, H1N1, and H5N1: implication for human monoclonal antibody recognition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;393:614–8.
- Iovine NM, Morris JG Jr, Fredenburg K, Rand K, Alnuaimat H, Lipori G, Increased severity of H1N1 influenza in the 2013–14 season and emergence of the D225G variant. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:664–7.
- Tran CH, Sugimoto JD, Pilliam JRC, Ryan KA, Myers PD, Castleman JB, School-located influenza vaccine reduces community risk for influenza and influenza-like illness emergency care visits. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e114479.
- Tran CH, McElrath J, Hughes P, Ryan K, Munden J, Castleman JB, Implementing a community-supported school-based influenza immunization program. Biosecur Bioterror. 2010;8:331–41.
- Skowronski DM, Chambers C, Sabaiduc S, De Serres G, Dickinson JA, Winter AL, Interim estimates of 2014/15 vaccine effectiveness against influenza A(H3N2) from Canada’s Sentinel Physician Surveillance Network, January 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20:21022 .