Volume 22, Number 2—February 2016
The Merits of Malaria Diagnostics during an Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak
- World Health Organization. Ebola situation report. 2015 October 28 [cited 2015 Oct 28]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/191299/1/ebolasitrep_28Oct2015_eng.pdf?ua=1
- Plucinski MM, Guilavogui T, Sidikiba S, Diakité N, Diakité S, Dioubaté M, Effect of the Ebola-virus-disease epidemic on malaria case management in Guinea, 2014: a cross-sectional survey of health facilities. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1017–23 .
- Check Hayden E. Ebola obstructs malaria control. Nature. 2014;514:15–6 .
- Mobula ML, Brown CA, Burnham G, Phelps BR. Need for reinforced strategies to support delivery of HIV clinical services during the Ebola outbreak in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2015;9:522–6 .
- Takahashi S, Metcalf CJ, Ferrari MJ, Moss WJ, Truelove SA, Tatem AJ, Reduced vaccination and the risk of measles and other childhood infections post-Ebola. Science. 2015;347:1240–2 .
- United Nations Population Fund. Ebola wiping out gains in safe motherhood [press release]. 16 October 2014 [cited 2015 Oct 28]. http://www.unfpa.org/news/ebola-wiping-out-gains-safe-motherhood
- Walker PG, White MT, Griffin JT, Reynolds A, Ferguson NM, Ghani AC. Malaria morbidity and mortality in Ebola-affected countries caused by decreased health-care capacity, and the potential effect of mitigation strategies: a modelling analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:825–32 .
- World Health Organization. World malaria report 2014 [cited 2015 Oct 28]. http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/world_malaria_report_2014/report/en
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for managing and preventing cases of malaria in areas with Ebola. 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/malaria-cases.html
- Sterk E. Filovirus haemorrhagic fever guideline. Barcelona, Spain: Médecins Sans Frontières; 2008.
- Benito A, Rubio JM. Usefulness of seminested polymerase chain reaction for screening blood donors at risk for malaria in Spain. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:1068 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. DPDx: laboratory identification of parasitic diseases of public health concern. 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/diagnosticProcedures/blood/antigendetection.html
- Lee MA, Tan CH, Aw LT, Tang CS, Singh M, Lee SH, Real-time fluorescence-based PCR for detection of malaria parasites. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:4343–5 .
- Shokoples SE, Ndao M, Kowalewska-Grochowska K, Yanow SK. Multiplexed real-time PCR assay for discrimination of Plasmodium species with improved sensitivity for mixed infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:975–80 .
- O’Shea MK, Clay KA, Craig DG, Matthews SW, Kao RL, Fletcher TE, Diagnosis of febrile illnesses other than Ebola virus disease at an Ebola treatment unit in Sierra Leone. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61:795–8 .
1Current affiliation: University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
2Current affiliation: Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
3Current affiliation: Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Greifswald-Insel Riems, Germany.
Page created: January 15, 2016
Page updated: January 15, 2016
Page reviewed: January 15, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.