Volume 22, Number 3—March 2016
Use of Transnational Services to Prevent Treatment Interruption in Tuberculosis-Infected Persons Who Leave the United States
|Variable||Total no. estimated cases among study population*||No. cases managed by CureTB†||No. cases managed by Health Network|
|Annual average (% referred)
|Total incident cases from detained and removed subgroup (% referred)
|Annual average for subgroup||186||36||88|
*Study population was defined as nonimmigrants, nonrefugees who were born outside of the United States, had active tuberculosis while in the United States, and then left the United States before treatment completion was possible.
†Numbers for 2008 and 2009 were extrapolated by using previously reported data from 2010–2012 (27,28).
- Marks SM, Flood J, Seaworth B, Hirsch-Moverman Y, Armstrong L, Mase S, Treatment practices, outcomes, and costs of multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis, United States, 2005–2007. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:812–21.
- Shin SS, Furin JJ, Alcantara F, Bayona J, Sanchez E, Mitnick CD. Long-term follow-up for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:687–8.
- Castro KG, LoBue P. Bridging implementation, knowledge, and ambition gaps to eliminate tuberculosis in the United States and globally. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:337–42.
- Zumla A, Abubakar I, Raviglione M, Hoelscher M, Ditiu L, Mchugh TD, Drug-resistant tuberculosis—current dilemmas, unanswered questions, challenges, and priority needs. J Infect Dis. 2012;205(Suppl 2):S228–40.
- Abarca Tomás B, Pell C, Bueno Cavanillas A, Guillén Solvas J, Pool R, Roura M. Tuberculosis in migrant populations. A systematic review of the qualitative literature. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82440.
- Dhavan P, Mosca D. Tuberculosis and migration: a post-2015 call for action. Migration Policy Practice Journal. 2014;IV:17–22 [cited 2014 Nov 10]. http://www.iom.int/files/live/sites/iom/files/What-We-Do/docs/MPP15_TB.pdf
- Pareek M, Baussano I, Abubakar I, Dye C, Lalvani A. Evaluation of immigrant tuberculosis screening in industrialized countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1422–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Reported tuberculosis in the United States, 2012. 2013 [cited 2014 Nov 17]. http://www.cdc.gov/tb/statistics/reports/2012/pdf/report2012.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Post-detention completion of tuberculosis treatment for persons deported or released from the custody of the Immigration and Naturalization Service—United States, 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52:438–41 .
- World Health Organization. Tuberculosis (TB). 2014 [cited 2014 Jan 1]. http://www.who.int/tb/country/data/download/en/index.html
- Liu Y, Painter JA, Posey DL, Cain KP, Weinberg MS, Maloney SA, Estimating the impact of newly arrived foreign-born persons on tuberculosis in the United States. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32158.
- US Department of Homeland Security. 2012 yearbook of immigration statistics. 2013 Jul [cited 2014 Nov 17]. http://www.dhs.gov/publication/yearbook-2012
- Grieco EM. Length of visit of nonimmigrants departing the United States in 2003. 2005 [cited 2014 Oct 5]. http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/LengthVstNonim2003.pdf
- Grieco EM. Estimates of the nonimmigrant population in the United States: 2004. 2006 [cited 2014 Oct 5]. http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/NIM_2004.pdf
- United States Department of State. U.S. visas: Nonimmigrant visa statistics. 2014 [cited 2014 Aug 21]. https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/NIVDetailTables/FY14NIVDetailTable.xls</eref>
- United States Department of Homeland Security. Immigration statistics publications. Annual reports: immigration enforcement actions, 2008–2012 [cited 2014 Oct 5]. http://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics-publications
- Schneider DL, Lobato MN. Tuberculosis control among people in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody. Am J Prev Med. 2007;33:9–14.
- Passel JS, Cohn DV, Gonzalez-Barrera A. Net migration from Mexico falls to zero—and perhaps less. 2012 Apr 23 [cited 2014 Nov 17]. http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2012/04/Mexican-migrants-report_final.pdf
- BBVA Economic Studies Service (Mexico). Migration situation in Mexico [in Spanish]. 2012 Jul [cited 2014 Sept 4]. https://www.bbvaresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/migrados/1207_SitMigracionMexico_Jul12_tcm346-344007.pdf
- Zuroweste E. TBNet stats 2005–2012. Presented at: Annual Meeting of the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association; 2014 Jun 11–14; Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Vera-Garcia C. Managing cases across borders: US, Mexico and Central America. Presented at: 18th Annual Conference, International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease–North America Region; 2014 Feb 26–Mar 1; Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Cain KP, Haley CA, Armstrong LR, Garman KN, Wells CD, Iademarco MF, Tuberculosis among foreign-born persons in the United States: achieving tuberculosis elimination. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;175:75–9.
- Walter ND, Painter J, Parker M, Lowenthal P, Flood J, Fu Y, Persistent latent tuberculosis reactivation risk in United States immigrants. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189:88–95 .
- World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2013. 2013 Nov [cited 2014 Nov 17]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/137094/1/9789241564809_eng.pdf?ua=1
- Bojorquez I, Aguilera R, Ramírez J, Cerecero D, Mejía S. Common mental disorders at the time of deportation: a survey at the Mexico–United States border. J Immigr Minor Health. 2015;17:1732–8.
- Rosales C, Ortega MI, De Zapien JG, Paniagua ADC, Zapien A, Ingram M, The US/Mexico border: A binational approach to framing challenges and constructing solutions for improving farmworkers’ lives. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9:2159–74.
- Combellick J, Zuroweste E, Gany FM. TBNet: the impact of an innovative public–private intervention on tuberculosis control among an internationally mobile population. J Immigr Refug Stud. 2011;9:229–41.
- Moser K. CureTB: CureTB US/Mexico tuberculosis referral and information program. Presented at: 16th Annual Conference, International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease–North America Region; 2012 Feb 22–25; San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- Zumla A, Raviglione M, Hafner R, Fordham von Reyn C. Tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:745–55.
- Jack W. The public economics of tuberculosis control. Health Policy. 2001;57:79–96 and.
- Walker TM, Ip CLC, Harrell R, Evans J, Kapatai G, Dedicoat M, Whole-genome sequencing to delineate Mycobacterium tuberculosis outbreaks: a retrospective observational study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:137–46.
- Garcia D, Wares F, Zuroweste E, Guerin P. Tuberculosis and migration. In: Schaaf HS, Zumla AI, editors. Tuberculosis: a comprehensive clinical reference. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. p. 892–900.
- Alvarez GG, Gushulak B, Rumman KA, Altpeter E, Chemtob D, Douglas P, A comparative examination of tuberculosis immigration medical screening programs from selected countries with high immigration and low tuberculosis incidence rates. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:3.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC tuberculosis surveillance data training. Report of verified case of tuberculosis. Instruction manual. 2010 [cited 2014 Oct. 5]. http://www.cdc.gov/TB/programs/rvct/InstructionManual.pdf
- Heldal E, Kuyvenhoven JV, Wares F, Migliori GB, Ditiu L, Fernandez de la Hoz K, Diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis in undocumented migrants in low- or intermediate-incidence countries. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:878–88 .
- Weis SE, Moonan PK, Pogoda JM, Turk LE, King B, Freeman-Thompson S, Tuberculosis in the foreign-born population of Tarrant County, Texas by immigration status. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:953–7.
- Liu Y, Weinberg MS, Ortega LS, Painter JA, Maloney SA. Overseas screening for tuberculosis in U.S.-bound immigrants and refugees. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2406–15.
- Vargas Bustamante A, Fang H, Garza J, Carter-Pokras O, Wallace S, Rizzo J, Variations in healthcare access and utilization among Mexican immigrants: The role of documentation status. J Immigr Minor Health. 2012;14:146–55.
- World Health Organization. Assessing tuberculosis under-reporting through inventory studies. 2012 [cited 2014 Nov 17]. http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/78073/1/9789241504942_eng.pdf?ua=1
- Schwartzman K, Oxlade O, Barr RG, Grimard F, Acosta I, Baez J, Domestic returns from investment in the control of tuberculosis in other countries. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1008–20.
1Preliminary results from this study were presented at the joint The Union–North America Region and the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association meeting, February 24–27, 2016, Denver, Colorado, USA.