Volume 22, Number 3—March 2016
Effects of Response to 2014–2015 Ebola Outbreak on Deaths from Malaria, HIV/AIDS, and Tuberculosis, West Africa
|Malaria-related parameter estimates||Value||Reference|
|Probability of death without treatment, range|
|Probability of death while undergoing treatment, range|
|Probability of progressing from uncomplicated to severe malaria given no treatment||0.03–0.13||(13,18)|
|Proportion of case-patients with fever attributable to Malaria||0.01–0.11||(18,19)|
|Probability of spontaneous recovery from uncomplicated malaria||0.10–0.20||(18)|
|Probability of treatment for severe malaria
|Development of fever within 2 weeks (β distribution)||(21)|
|Receiving treatment for malaria before Ebola outbreak|
|Development of fever within 2 weeks (β distribution)||(22)|
|Receiving treatment for malaria before Ebola outbreak|
|Development of fever within 2 weeks (β distribution)||(23)|
|Receiving treatment for malaria before Ebola outbreak||(23)|
- United Nations Development Programme. Assessing the socio-economic impacts of Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone: The Road to Recovery. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: The Programme; 2014.
- Piot P, Muyembe J-J, Edmunds WJ. Ebola in West Africa: from disease outbreak to humanitarian crisis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:1034–5.
- Takahashi S, Metcalf CJE, Ferrari MJ, Moss WJ, Truelove SA, Tatem AJ, Reduced vaccination and the risk of measles and other childhood infections post-Ebola. Science. 2015;347:1240–2.
- Walker PGT, White MT, Griffin JT, Reynolds A, Ferguson NM, Ghani AC. Malaria morbidity and mortality in Ebola-affected countries caused by decreased health-care capacity, and the potential effect of mitigation strategies: a modelling analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:825–32 .
- Murray CJL, Ortblad KF, Guinovart C, Lim SS, Wolock TM, Roberts DA, Global, regional, and national incidence and mortality for HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria during 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2014;384:1005–70.
- United States Agency for International Development. President’s Malaria Initiative: FY 2015 Guinea malaria operational plan. 2015 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://www.pmi.gov/docs/default-source/default-document-library/malaria-operational-plans/fy-15/fy-2015-guinea-malaria-operational-plan.pdf
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare. Liberia malaria indicator survey 2011. NMCP; LISGIS; ICF International; 2011 [cited 2015 May 13]. http://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/MIS12/MIS12.pdf
- National Malaria Control Program. Statistics Sierra Leone; College of Medicine and Allied Health Services University of Sierra Leone; Catholic Relief Services; ICF International. Sierra Leone: Malaria Indicator Survey 2013 (MIS). NMCP; SSL; CRS; ICF International; 2013 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/MIS15/MIS15.pdf
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. Liberia: HIV and AIDS estimates. Geneva: The Programme; 2013.
- World Health Organization. Global Health Observatory Data Repository: Statistics Summary (2002-present) 2013 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.country
- World Health Organization. Tuberculosis country profiles [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://www.who.int/tb/country/data/profiles/en/
- Law S, Benedetti A, Oxlade O, Schwartzman K, Menzies D. Comparing cost-effectiveness of standardised tuberculosis treatments given varying drug resistance. Eur Respir J. 2014;43:566–81.
- Lubell Y, Staedke SG, Greenwood BM, Kamya MR, Molyneux M, Newton PN, Likely health outcomes for untreated acute febrile illness in the tropics in decision and economic models; a Delphi survey. PLoS One. 2011;6:e17439 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21390277
- Stover J, Bollinger L, Avila C. Estimating the effects and costs of changing guidelines for ART eligibility. Geneva: World Health Organization. 2009;(Sep):1–18 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/treatment/costing_stover.pdf
- Rafael ME, Taylor T, Magill A, Lim Y-W, Girosi F, Allan R. Reducing the burden of childhood malaria in Africa: the role of improved. Nature. 2006;444(Suppl 1):39–48.
- Thwing J, Eisele TP, Steketee RW. Protective efficacy of malaria case management and intermittent preventive treatment for preventing malaria mortality in children: a systematic review for the Lives Saved Tool. BMC Public Health. 2011;11(Suppl 3):S14.
- von Seidlein L, Olaosebikan R, Hendriksen ICE, Lee SJ, Adedoyin OT, Agbenyega T, Predicting the clinical outcome of severe falciparum malaria in African children: findings from a large randomized trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1080–90.
- Mori AT, Ngalesoni F, Norheim OF, Robberstad B. Cost-effectiveness of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine compared with artemether-lumefantrine for treating uncomplicated malaria in children at a district hospital in Tanzania. Malar J. 2014;•••:13–363.
- Smith T, Schellenberg JA, Hayes R. Attributable fraction estimates and case definitions for malaria in endemic areas. Stat Med. 1994;13:2345–58.
- de Savigny D, Mayombana C, Mwageni E, Masanja H, Minhaj A, Mkilindi Y, Care-seeking patterns for fatal malaria in Tanzania. Malar J. 2004;3:27.
- Institut National de la Statistique de Guinée, Measure DHS ICF International. Enquête Démographique et de Santé et à Indicateurs Multiples (EDS-MICS 2012)—Guinée 2012. Conakry, Guinée; 2013 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/FR280/FR280.pdf
- Liberia Institute of Statistics and Geo-Information Services (LISGIS). Liberia Demographic and Health Survey 2013. 2014 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. https://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/FR291/FR291.pdf
- Statistics Sierra Leone, Ministry of Health and Sanitation, ICF International. Sierra Leone demographic and health survey 2013. Freetown, Sierra Leone, and Rockville (Maryland, USA); 2014. p. 36. http://microdata.worldbank.org/index.php/catalog/2167
- Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation. Global Health Data Exchange. Causes of death visualization. University of Washington; 2014 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://vizhub.healthdata.org/cod/
- World Health Organization. Situation report E—4 March 2015 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-situation/ebola-situation-report-4-march-2015
- Dye C, Williams BG. Criteria for the control of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:8180–5.
- Eaton JW, Menzies NA, Stover J, Cambiano V, Chindelevitch L, Cori A, Health benefits, costs, and cost-effectiveness of earlier eligibility for adult antiretroviral therapy and expanded treatment coverage: A combined analysis of 12 mathematical models. Lancet Glob Health. 2014;2:e23–34.
- Ndeffo Mbah ML, Parikh S, Galvani AP. Comparing the impact of artemisinin-based combination therapies on malaria transmission in sub-saharan Africa. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015;92:555–60.
- Griffin JT, Ferguson NM, Ghani AC. Estimates of the changing age-burden of Plasmodium falciparum malaria disease in sub-Saharan Africa. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3136.
- Ansah EK, Narh-Bana S, Affran-Bonful H, Bart-Plange C, Cundill B, Gyapong M, The impact of providing rapid diagnostic malaria tests on fever management in the private retail sector in Ghana: a cluster randomized trial. BMJ. 2015;350:h1019.
- World Health Organization. Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach. Geneva. Organization. 2013;•••:1–272.
- Mills EJ, Bakanda C, Birungi J, Mwesigwa R, Chan K, Ford N, Mortality by baseline CD4 cell count among HIV patients initiating antiretroviral therapy: evidence from a large cohort in Uganda. AIDS. 2011;25:851–5.
- World Health Organization. Treatment of tuberculosis: guidelines, 4th ed. Geneva: The Organization; 2010.
- World Health Organization. Ebola situation report—31 December 2014. 2014 [cited 2015 Jun 2]. http://apps.who.int/ebola/en/status-outbreak/situation-reports/ebola-situation-report-31-december-2014
- Evans DK, Popova A. West African Ebola crisis and orphans. Lancet. 2015;385:945–6.
- Helleringer S, Noymer A. Magnitude of Ebola relative to other causes of death in Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Lancet Glob Health. 2015;3:e255–6.
- Ndawinz JDA, Mohamed C, Diallo MSK, Sidibé CT, Eric D. Prevention of HIV spread during the Ebola outbreak in Guinea. Lancet. 2015;385:1393.
- Hotez PJ. Neglected Tropical Diseases in the Ebola-affected Countries of West Africa. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9:e0003671.
- Grépin KA. International donations to the Ebola virus outbreak: too little, too late? BMJ. 2015;350:h376.
- Fallah M, Skrip LA, d’Harcourt E, Galvani AP. Strategies to prevent future Ebola epidemics. Lancet. 2015;386:131.
1These joint first authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: February 18, 2016
Page updated: February 18, 2016
Page reviewed: February 18, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.