Volume 22, Number 4—April 2016
Neisseria meningitidis Serogroup X in Sub-Saharan Africa
- World Health Organization. Meningococcal disease control in countries of the African meningitis belt, 2013. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2014;89:206–14.
- Maiden MC, Bygraves JA, Feil E, Morelli G, Russell JE, Urwin R, Multilocus sequence typing: a portable approach to the identification of clones within populations of pathogenic microorganisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3140–5.
- Etienne J, Sperber G, Adamou A, Picq JJ. Epidemiological notes: meningococcal meningitis of serogroup X in Niamey (Niger) [in French]. Med Trop (Mars). 1990;50:227–9.
- Boisier P, Nicolas P, Djibo S, Taha MK, Jeanne I, Mainassara HB, Meningococcal meningitis: unprecedented incidence of serogroup X–related cases in 2006 in Niger. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:657–63.
- Hong E, Giuliani MM, Deghmane AE, Comanducci M, Brunelli B, Dull P, Could the multicomponent meningococcal serogroup B vaccine (4CMenB) control Neisseria meningitidis capsular group X outbreaks in Africa? Vaccine. 2013;31:1113–6.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Annual epidemiological report 2012. Reporting on 2010 surveillance data and 2011 epidemic intelligence data. Stockholm: The Centre; 2013. p. 168–72.
- Maiden MC, van Rensburg MJ, Bray JE, Earle SG, Ford SA, Jolley KA, MLST revisited: the gene-by-gene approach to bacterial genomics. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2013;11:728–36.
- Jolley KA, Hill DM, Bratcher HB, Harrison OB, Feavers IM, Parkhill J, Resolution of a meningococcal disease outbreak from whole-genome sequence data with rapid Web-based analysis methods. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3046–53.
- Kellogg DS Jr, Peacock WL Jr, Deacon WE, Brown L, Pirkle DI. Neisseria gonorrhoeae. I. Virulence genetically linked to clonal variation. J Bacteriol. 1963;85:1274–9.
- Veyrier FJ, Hong E, Deghmane AE, Taha MK. Draft genome sequence of a Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C isolate of sequence type 11 linked to an outbreak among men who have sex with men. Genome Announc. 2013;1:pii:e00795-13.
- Jolley KA, Maiden MC. BIGSdb: scalable analysis of bacterial genome variation at the population level. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010;11:595.
- Harrison OB, Bennett JS, Derrick JP, Maiden MC, Bayliss CD. Distribution and diversity of the haemoglobin–haptoglobin iron-acquisition systems in pathogenic and non-pathogenic Neisseria. Microbiology. 2013;159:1920–30.
- Szatanik M, Hong E, Ruckly C, Ledroit M, Giorgini D, Jopek K, Experimental meningococcal sepsis in congenic transgenic mice expressing human transferrin. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22210.
- Guiddir T, Deghmane AE, Giorgini D, Taha MK. Lipocalin 2 in cerebrospinal fluid as a marker of acute bacterial meningitis. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14:276.
- Rune Andersen S, Kolberg J, Hoiby EA, Namork E, Caugant DA, Oddvar Froholm L, Lipopolysaccharide heterogeneity and escape mechanisms of Neisseria meningitidis: possible consequences for vaccine development. Microb Pathog. 1997;23:139–55.
1Current affiliation: Ministry of Health Panama and Instituto de Ciencias Médicas, Las Tablas, Panama.
Page created: March 16, 2016
Page updated: March 16, 2016
Page reviewed: March 16, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.