Volume 22, Number 5—May 2016
Genetic Characterization of Archived Bunyaviruses and their Potential for Emergence in Australia
- Plyusnin A, Beaty BJ, Elliot RM, Goldbach R, Kormelink R, Lundkvist A, Bunyaviridae. In: King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carsten EB, Lefkowitz EJ, editors. Virus taxonomy: ninth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. San Diego (CA): Elsevier Academic Press; 2012. p. 725–41.
- Schmaljohn CSN, Fields ST. Virology. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Fields virology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007. p. 1741–89.
- Boughton CR, Hawkes RA, Naim HM. Arbovirus infection in humans in NSW: seroprevalence and pathogenicity of certain Australian bunyaviruses. Aust N Z J Med. 1990;20:51–5 .
- Doherty RL. Studies of Aborigines at Aurukun and Weipa Missions, North Queensland. Aust Paediatr J. 1967;3:213–8.
- Doherty RL, Whitehead RH, Wetters EJ, Gorman BM, Carley JG. A survey of antibody to 10 arboviruses (Koongol group, Mapputta group and ungrouped) isolated in Queensland. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1970;64:748–53.
- Vale TG, Carter IW, McPhie KA, James GS, Cloonan MJ. Human arbovirus infections along the south coast of New South Wales. Aust J Exp Biol Med Sci. 1986;64:307–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Arbovirus catalogue. June 2015 [cited 2016 Mar 9]. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/Arbocat/Default.aspx
- Wang J, Selleck P, Yu M, Ha W, Rootes C, Gales R, Novel phlebovirus with zoonotic potential isolated from ticks, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1040–3.
- Coffey LL, Page BL, Greninger AL, Herring BL, Russell RC, Doggett SL, Enhanced arbovirus surveillance with deep sequencing: identification of novel rhabdoviruses and bunyaviruses in Australian mosquitoes. Virology. 2014;448:146–58.
- Major L, Linn ML, Slade RW, Schroder WA, Hyatt AD, Gardner J, Ticks associated with Macquarie Island penguins carry arboviruses from four genera. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4375.
- Doherty RL, Carley JG, Murray MD, Main AJ Jr, Kay BH, Domrow R. Isolation of arboviruses (Kemerovo group, Sakhalin group) from Ixodes uriae collected at Macquarie Island, Southern Ocean. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1975;24:521–6 .
- Doherty RL, Whitehead RH, Wetters EJ, Gorman BM. Studies of the epidemiology of arthropod-borne virus infections at Mitchell River Mission, Cape York Peninsula, North Queensland. II. Arbovirus infections of mosquitoes, man and domestic fowls, 1963–1966. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1968;62:430–8.
- Gard G, Marshall ID, Woodroofe GM. Annually recurrent epidemic polyarthritis and Ross River virus activity in a coastal area of New South Wales. II. Mosquitoes, viruses, and wildlife. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1973;22:551–60 .
- Clarke JA, Marshall ID, Gard G. Annually recurrent epidemic polyarthritis and Ross River virus activity in a coastal area of New South Wales. I. Occurrence of the disease. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1973;22:543–50 .
- van den Hurk AF, Nisbet DJ, Foley PN, Ritchie SA, Mackenzie JS, Beebe NW. Isolation of arboviruses from mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) collected from the Gulf Plains region of northwest Queensland, Australia. J Med Entomol. 2002;39:786–92.
- Hall-Mendelin S, Ritchie SA, Johansen CA, Zborowski P, Cortis G, Dandridge S, Exploiting mosquito sugar feeding to detect mosquito-borne pathogens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11255–9.
- Warrilow D, Watterson D, Hall RA, Davis SS, Weir R, Kurucz N, A new species of mesonivirus from the Northern Territory, Australia. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e91103.
- Kearse M, Moir R, Wilson A, Stones-Havas S, Cheung M, Sturrock S, Geneious Basic: an integrated and extendable desktop software platform for the organization and analysis of sequence data. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:1647–9.
- Talavera G, Castresana J. Improvement of phylogenies after removing divergent and ambiguously aligned blocks from protein sequence alignments. Syst Biol. 2007;56:564–77.
- Guindon S, Dufayard JF, Lefort V, Anisimova M, Hordijk W, Gascuel O. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML 3.0. Syst Biol. 2010;59:307–21.
- Delport W, Poon AF, Frost SD, Kosakovsky Pond SL. Datamonkey 2010: a suite of phylogenetic analysis tools for evolutionary biology. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:2455–7.
- Appuhamy RD, Tent J, Mackenzie JS. Toponymous diseases of Australia. Med J Aust. 2010;193:642–6 .
- Van Den Hurk AF, Johansen CA, Zborowski P, Phillips DA, Pyke AT, Mackenzie JS, Flaviviruses isolated from mosquitoes collected during the first recorded outbreak of Japanese encephalitis virus on Cape York Peninsula, Australia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;64:125–30 .
- Capodagli GC, Deaton MK, Baker EA, Lumpkin RJ, Pegan SD. Diversity of ubiquitin and ISG15 specificity among nairoviruses’ viral ovarian tumor domain proteases. J Virol. 2013;87:3815–27.
- Capodagli GC, McKercher MA, Baker EA, Masters EM, Brunzelle JS, Pegan SD. Structural analysis of a viral ovarian tumor domain protease from the Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in complex with covalently bonded ubiquitin. J Virol. 2011;85:3621–30.
- Frias-Staheli N, Giannakopoulos NV, Kikkert M, Taylor SL, Bridgen A, Paragas J, Ovarian tumor domain–containing viral proteases evade ubiquitin- and ISG15-dependent innate immune responses. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:404–16.
- Kay BH, Boyd AM, Ryan PA, Hall RA. Mosquito feeding patterns and natural infection of vertebrates with Ross River and Barmah Forest viruses in Brisbane, Australia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:417–23 .
- Muller MJ, Murray MD, Edwards JA. Blood-sucking midges and mosquitoes feeding on mammals at Beatrice Hill, N.T. Aust J Zool. 1981;29:573–88.
- Kay BH, Carley JG, Filippich C. The multiplication of Queensland and New Guinean arboviruses in Culex annulirostris Skuse and Aedes vigilax (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae). J Med Entomol. 1975;12:279–83.
- St George TD, Doherty RL, Carley JG, Filippich C, Brescia A, Casals J, The isolation of arboviruses including a new flavivirus and a new bunyavirus from Ixodes (Ceratixodes) uriae (Ixodoidea: Ixodidae) collected at Macquarie Island, Australia, 1975–1979. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1985;34:406–12 .
- Dietrich M, Kempf F, Boulinier T, McCoy KD. Tracing the colonization and diversification of the worldwide seabird ectoparasite Ixodes uriae. Mol Ecol. 2014;23:3292–305.
- Coffey LL, Forrester N, Tsetsarkin K, Vasilakis N, Weaver SC. Factors shaping the adaptive landscape for arboviruses: implications for the emergence of disease. Future Microbiol. 2013;8:155–76.
- Gauci PJ, McAllister J, Mitchell IR, Boyle DB, Bulach DM, Weir RP, Genomic characterisation of three Mapputta group viruses, a serogroup of Australian and Papua New Guinean bunyaviruses associated with human disease. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0116561 and.
Page created: April 13, 2016
Page updated: April 13, 2016
Page reviewed: April 13, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.